Media System - Uniti?

Gasman

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I am planning to buy a Naim Uniti or Super Uniti . I have recently installed a Qnap NAS and am currently re ripping everything into FLAC.

Having installed a bridge and Zone Player 90 from sonos in one room linking into power amps and Monitor Audio GR20s I love the sonos interface but currently that sound does not approach the Uniti.

My problem is I do not know where the quality lies - can I use the sonos to stream to a DAC and Amp then onto most probably a pair of B&W PM1s or is there real differentiation in the streaming and ability to read high quality inputs at 24 bit ect?

If that is the case would I be better off with a Naim streamer NDX of some sort - I do love the Naim sound

Please help!!

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd say just get the Uniti...well I would, wouldn't I?

You can probably get better quality from a Sonos/DAC/Amp combo but you'd have to up your budget by some margin. A key part of the appeal of the Uniti for me was doing away with all the boxes and wires (my pre-Uniti system comprised eight boxes excluding the speakers).

Personally speaking I can hear the difference between standard CD and hi-res recordings. B&W's Society of Sound is well worth the subscription in my experience and HD Tracks has a wide selection of hi-res content and can be used in the UK if you use PayPal (a bit of a 'dodge' though). It's not the sole reason for buying the Uniti as a well produced CD will beat a poorly produced hi-res album anyway.

Gasman

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the steer - I have a Denon AVR 4330 where most of the work is done for the cinema room and then an Arcam p1000 biwired straight to the GR 20s in the front - the room does lend itself to be a bit splashy as well and Im sure it does help - all hard floors and surfaces.

The new room where the Uniti / what ever is going is carpeted and bookcases / curtains so should be the better for listening.

Will see how the Super Uniti shaps up as I was leaning toward DAC and Amp myself

Cheers

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
The ZP90 won't go beyond CD standard of 16/44.1 even with an external DAC. I'd anticipate an NDX will best a ZP90, no matter what it's fitted with... ;)

Gasman

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The Denon does all the switching and all speakers (7.1) wire up through the arcam power amp.

the zp90 is wired in on coax and std interconnects

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts