Media File Storage that Plugs into Hifi & Controlled over Wi-fi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am trying to work out which would be the best way of setting up my computer & hifi.

My latest thoughts are this:

A storage device that is wired into my hifi but can be controlled remotely by my laptop?

This would be a harddrive that has an audio output that connects to my hi fi but also can be access remotely by the laptop over a wi fi connection. As my laptop has a relatively small hard drive it will allow me to store lots more files which I can then play from where ever I am sittin with my laptop.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks

John Duncan

Start by googling Network Attached Storage (basically a wireless hard drive which allows you to access all your music without your PC being turned on). 120 quid for a WD MyBook 500gig version, 40 quid or so more for a terabyte. Then look at Apple Airport - the bit that you plug into your hifi - I say this over preference to others like the Squeezebox or Roku Soundbridge because the Airport can be remote controlled from iTunes on your laptop (which I don't know whether is the case with the other two). Bob's your uncle, 220 quid all in.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]
a wireless hard drive which allows you to access all your music without your PC being turned on

[/quote]

Thanks for the quick respsonse.

What does the above mean? How will it play the files without my PC being turned on?

John Duncan

iTunes on your Laptop will act as your 'remote control', from where you can run your playlist (and will detect all the Airports in your house if you get a few, so acts as a multiroom controller), but the songs themselves sit on the wireless-aware hard drive, which just acts as a very large extension of your laptop's hard drive.

If you want to take your laptop out of the equation, there are other options which you can consider.

Be aware also that wireless networking is not as easy as people (ie the manufacturers) make out. Expect some cursing.

[EDIT] - apologies, I see from your other thread that you have a Mac, and the wireless networking jibe above applies more to PCs (and especially Vista), where it is less than intuitive.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

If you want to take your laptop out of the equation, there are other options which you can consider.

[/quote]

...and what might those be?

So the Airport plugs into the Hi Fi, the hard drive doesn't plug into anything and the laptop can access the files on the hard drive using wi fi and the music gets sent to the airport then into the hi fi?

John Duncan

[quote user="Dr S Gachet"]

So the Airport plugs into the Hi Fi, the hard drive doesn't plug into anything and the laptop can access the files on the hard drive using wi fi and the music gets sent to the airport then into the hi fi?

[/quote]

Yes, exactly.

[quote user="Dr S Gachet"]

...and what might those be?

[/quote]

As your other thread mentions, Apple TV is one option which I'm quite fond of - think of it as a 160gb iPod that connects to your TV and uses that to give you a gorgeous user interface plus video replay (which may or may not be important to you). I think you asked elsewhere whether this would work with an older television, and certainly it requires either HDMI or component input on the television (which most older TVs do not have, certainly in Europe).

The other option is the Sonos system, though I can't work out whether that needs a PC or just storage to go with it - others here can advise.

The Roku and Squeezebox mentioned in your other thread *may* support NAS - will have a look - but do not support DRM'd music, which will prevent you from playing (most) music you've bought from iTunes or elsewhere. This again may not be an issue for you.

A

Anonymous

The Squeezebox supports a number of different NAS devices for running the Slimdevices server application and storing your music.

I set up my sister with a QNAP TS-109 NAS drive - she wanted a music streaming device that would work without needing her computer to be on. It plugs into her wireless router and runs Slimserver; you access it remotely from another PC when you want to set up playlists etc.

However, I've since been told of another way that would have worked and that's to use the Squeezebox in conjunction with the MP3Tunes website. You then access your Squeezebox through the Slimdevices network.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts