Max Stereo Effect Recordings / Songs (over and above being audiophile quality)

StevenKay

New member
Mar 28, 2011
36
0
0
Visit site
Hello Everyone

Max Stereo Effect Recordings / Songs

I have been searching for recordings that have the best stereo effects (audiophile quality and also having great stereo effects) - for example the track "The End" from the Beatles album Abbey Road. Also the song "The Mule" by Deep Purple from their album Fireball. In these recordings you feel the drumming / music move from one direction to the other etc.

Any suggestions for similar high quality, top class high stereo effect recordings that you know of. Please do share the information.

Thanks
 

StevenKay

New member
Mar 28, 2011
36
0
0
Visit site
"In these recordings you feel the drumming / music move from one direction to the other etc."

May I add that in such recordings you are able to clearly distinguish altogether different instrumental and vocal sounds coming from the Left and Right channels at the same time.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Some Norah Jones stuff has what you're looking for, "Seven Years" from the album Come Away With Me, comes to mind. Enjoy :).
 

Andrew Everard

New member
May 30, 2007
1,878
2
0
Visit site
StevenKay said:
"In these recordings you feel the drumming / music move from one direction to the other etc."

May I add that in such recordings you are able to clearly distinguish altogether different instrumental and vocal sounds coming from the Left and Right channels at the same time.

Trouble is, that's overtly two-channel rather than a convincing stereo effect.
 

Clare Newsome

New member
Jun 4, 2007
1,657
0
0
Visit site
Indeed.

If that's the sort of obvious effect you're after, then the intro to Pink Floyd's Money should float your boat.

Or if you're in a more romantic mood, You're The Boss from the Viva Las Vegas soundtrack has Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret serenading each other from the left and right channels respectively :bigsmile:
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Visit site
Perhaps not exactly the same thing but the entire Rick Rubin-produced Johnny Cash albums (American Recordings) have an overt, hyper-realistic sound.

Cf. The guitars on Solitary Man. They sound stunning on first listen but then I started to think it was too good. The guitar sound like they are a few inches away from your nose, instead of a few feet. Johnny Cash's deep, cracked burr is layered on top and it all ends up sounding faux natural.

Great songs and performances aplenty across the five or six albums but for me the recording detracts from the presumably intended "authentic" feel of the sessions.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
eggontoast said:
Jean Michel Jarre's 'Aero' album would be a must.

It actually sounds like he went a little crazy with the panning knob when he was in the studio.....

" oh un nouveau jouet, formidable!"
 

StevenKay

New member
Mar 28, 2011
36
0
0
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Trouble is, that's overtly two-channel rather than a convincing stereo effect.

The two tracks that I have mentioned - 'The End' by the Beatles from Abbey Road and the 'The Mule' by Deep Purple (from Fireball) are good recordings stereophonically too. In some of Jimi Hendrix's experimental recordings, yes there is that overtly two channel effect.
 

StevenKay

New member
Mar 28, 2011
36
0
0
Visit site
Monstrous said:
Some Norah Jones stuff has what you're looking for, "Seven Years" from the album Come Away With Me, comes to mind. Enjoy :).

I have just checked the Norah Jones track. Yes very noticeable effect. Thanks.
 

bretty

New member
Jul 20, 2007
248
0
0
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Indeed.

If that's the sort of obvious effect you're after, then the intro to Pink Floyd's Money should float your boat.

Absolutely. Most of the tracks on 'Wish you were here' contain great channel switching effects, too.
 

StevenKay

New member
Mar 28, 2011
36
0
0
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Indeed.

If that's the sort of obvious effect you're after, then the intro to Pink Floyd's Money should float your boat.

Or if you're in a more romantic mood, You're The Boss from the Viva Las Vegas soundtrack has Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret serenading each other from the left and right channels respectively :bigsmile:

Clare

Thanks. Just listened to Pink Floyd's Money once again carefully. Yes it is there and of the kind Andrew has mentioned. Shall also check out You're The Boss. I am searching for something technically superb and also musically exciting.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
6
0
Visit site
A bit left-field, but if you have a turntable, try to get hold of the album Percussive Jazz by Peter Appleyard. Recorded on a three-track in the late 50s, I have a feeling this is exactly what you are looking for. Superb sound quality too, despite the primative technology (by today's standards).

Funny you should mention The End by the Beatles: this was the first time, and possibly the only time, Ringo's drums were recorded in stereo on a Beatles LP.
 

Ryan92

New member
Dec 8, 2010
21
0
0
Visit site
Quite a lot of Muse's stuff has such effects, "Citizen Erased" and "Knights of Cydonia" spring to mind . . In terms of recording quality . . Meh.
 

StevenKay

New member
Mar 28, 2011
36
0
0
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Perhaps not exactly the same thing but the entire Rick Rubin-produced Johnny Cash albums (American Recordings) have an overt, hyper-realistic sound. Cf. The guitars on Solitary Man. They sound stunning on first listen but then I started to think it was too good. The guitar sound like they are a few inches away from your nose, instead of a few feet. Johnny Cash's deep, cracked burr is layered on top and it all ends up sounding faux natural. Great songs and performances aplenty across the five or six albums but for me the recording detracts from the presumably intended "authentic" feel of the sessions.

Thanks. Listened to Solitary Man. The guitar sounds are rather super-natural. Too much in the forefront. Overall impressive.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Parade by Spandau Ballet is a recording that may suit, try the track "With The Pride".

A well recorded and regarded recording, back in 1984, try and get hold of the EMI Gold version, or tracks from - CDP32 1473 2 (CD Gold 1010) for the least modern mastering over compression nasties etc.
 

StevenKay

New member
Mar 28, 2011
36
0
0
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
A bit left-field, but if you have a turntable, try to get hold of the album Percussive Jazz by Peter Appleyard. Recorded on a three-track in the late 50s, I have a feeling this is exactly what you are looking for. Superb sound quality too, despite the primative technology (by today's standards). Funny you should mention The End by the Beatles: this was the first time, and possibly the only time, Ringo's drums were recorded in stereo on a Beatles LP.

Percussive Jazz by Peter Appleyard. (The Man With The Golden Arm). Amazing...does not sound like a 1950's recording at all. Very good indeed. Nothing like this heard before. Superb quality indeed. James Bondish....Thanks for the information about The End. Very impressive drumming by Ringo and equally sophisticated recording technique. One of the best.
 

Andrew Everard

New member
May 30, 2007
1,878
2
0
Visit site
RailroadSounds_LP.jpg


Answers two threads at once: this one and this one
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
bretty said:
Clare Newsome said:
Indeed.

If that's the sort of obvious effect you're after, then the intro to Pink Floyd's Money should float your boat.

Absolutely. Most of the tracks on 'Wish you were here' contain great channel switching effects, too.

Absolutely! try the opening to track 2 "welcome to the machine"... its got some excellent stereo effect! on "wish you were here" you can hear a second guitar distinctively on your right in the beginning and the lead guitar with the famous notes comes bang in the centre! breathtaking!!
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
Visit site
When I started reading the thread, I too was going to suggest Welcome to the Machine
smiley-smile.gif
Glad to see there are other enthusiasts here! Also check out Roger Waters' Amused to Death, the dog barking at the beginning comes from somewhere behind and to the L of your L speaker (somehow) on a good system
smiley-smile.gif
 

TRENDING THREADS