Matrix Mini-i DAC or DACmagic plus

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I am now in a position to buy a new DAC, the choices are the DACmagic plus and the Matrix Mini-i, does anyone here have any experience using either as a digital preamp, using the XLR outputs?

Also, how quiet are these DACs in terms of noisefloor, with no input selected, but volume turned up?

The DACmagic would out of neccessity of budget, be second hand, but that is not really a problem for me. The DACmagic has the obvious advntage of more input options, but the Mini-i, has a remote.

I don't know if I can wait long enough for the upcoming ODA with ODAC from NwAvGuy.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
What is your budget exactly? I think I have seen a Yulong D100 mkII for less than £300.

How about getting just the ODAC and then buying a nice headphone amp. The ODAC is £60 on it's own (or £100 for the Epiphany E-DAC in a nice enclosure) if I remember correctly.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
quadpatch said:
What is your budget exactly? I think I have seen a Yulong D100 mkII for less than £300.

How about getting just the ODAC and then buying a nice headphone amp. The ODAC is £60 on it's own (or £100 for the Epiphany E-DAC in a nice enclosure) if I remember correctly.

I need to have a variable output to run my monitors, so unfortunately the Yulong is out of the question, as is a standalone DAC like the ODAC, but the ODA + DAC would do the job nicely when it's finally finished.

Fingers crossed.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Ah sorry about that. Yeah fingers crossed I will get to review it too. My review of the EHP-02D is coming in about a week or two.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have owned Matrix and the original DacMagic (never heard the Plus). For me Matrix was one of the best budget DACs in the market, and it took me some time to find a worthy replacement at over 3x of its price, even in a relatively expensive system. The original DacMagic wasn't that good by all means. As I could recall Matrix was pretty quite (at least no memories about this, which means it was good in this area), the remote was an excellent feature, and as for the sound quality it was a bit on a warmer side, but not too much, just not to sound bright.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for the information. I have replaced my DAC and now have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. It is quieter and is externally powered as opposed to just USB.

Superb for the money!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts