Mating of Quad Equipment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I now own mostly Quad electronics including a 44 & 34 pre and 303, 306 & 606 amps. Looking to change things around to help some speakers I have that are a little bright ( Klipsch & B&W ) my old Kefs sound great. Was wondering if anyone has used a Quad tube preamp ( QC24 or older ) with a Quad 606 or 306 amp. I wish to stay Non tube with the power amp for now. Any help would be great.

Thanks.... Stereo3

A

Anonymous

O rubbish have to edit my first dam post

Regards..... OP

A

Anonymous

I'm not quite sure I can follow exactly what you want, but why not use the KEF speakers? If not, have you thought about rugs, curtains and things to reduce room reflections? A stab in the dark really. Of course, a valve pre might be better
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The room is well set up. Acoustics very good. I keep several sets of speakers in the next room and change them every so often. Tried an Acoustic Research (tube) preamp and it smoothed out the top end. But would like to stay all Quad,and the AR Pre. was way out of my price range anyways. No Quad dealer within 200 miles of me, or I would bring a Quad tube preamp home to see if it worked well with my 606 or 306 amps

Stereo3

A

Anonymous

If you want to stay with quad then you only have 2 options if you want new....that is the qc24 (valve) or 99pre (no valve). I would tend to stay with similar ranges...match a 6 series pre with 6 series power for e.g.

Although quad power amps are well regarded, there are (or would appear to be from reading reviews and other forum posts) a significant number of people who think their pre amps are a bit of a weak link. The general opinion is that there is better out there for the same money. I am not in a position to be able to recommend anything specific at the moment. I live in a hifi backwater and anything even remotely esoteric (no not the brand name) is unavailable.

Another option, mentioned here a lot recently is a passive pre....adds nothing and takes nothing away.....I'm using one at the mo. Plenty of options there...from the 250 - 300 Creek or Icon Audio all the way up to infinity for some really delicious bits of kit. Have a look at Music First and you will see what I mean. Clicky Here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts