Matching proac studio 125 speakers

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
System musical fidelity (Mf)a3.2 amp+ cd player.

I am finding my amp less receptive to this speaker than the arcam alpha 8r which was also better suited to my cd player?
I've managed to address issues with the bass and the midrange is spot on, but the treble is just on the cold side of neutral and is not giving me the warmth I need using all copper cables,I've had the same problem with mf a5 pre/power combo too.. I have asked for advice previously but I've reserved a bigger budget for the future as I'll be travelling a bit next year so I'll apologise in advance if anyone thinks I'm duplicating posts.

I wanted to ask forum members if they could give me some suggestions, I'd say used in the 500 pounds region second hand for the interim.

I've considered alpha 10 int and power, a22,a38, the abrahamsen intrigued me but I need more power than the v20 up 70 wpc from experience. Id prefer solid state than valves with my clumsy hands, any advice or constructive criticism more than welcome, ty

pravstar said:
System musical fidelity (Mf)a3.2 amp+ cd player.

I am finding my amp less receptive to this speaker than the arcam alpha 8r which was also better suited to my cd player? I've managed to address issues with the bass and the midrange is spot on, but the treble is just on the cold side of neutral and is not giving me the warmth I need using all copper cables,I've had the same problem with mf a5 pre/power combo too.. I have asked for advice previously but I've reserved a bigger budget for the future as I'll be travelling a bit next year so I'll apologise in advance if anyone thinks I'm duplicating posts.

I wanted to ask forum members if they could give me some suggestions, I'd say used in the 500 pounds region second hand for the interim.

I've considered alpha 10 int and power, a22,a38, the abrahamsen intrigued me but I need more power than the v20 up 70 wpc from experience. Id prefer solid state than valves with my clumsy hands, any advice or constructive criticism more than welcome, ty

Have you ever questioned that it might be the speakers at fault here?

Also why do you think you would need more power than the Abrahamsen could provide, do you live in a barn?? ;-)

There was me thinking the ProAcs were pretty efficient.

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
The barn will come one day lol,terraced property for now. I just found my speakers at 88db like 100wpc on tap,just my general observation. As for the speakers, I find them ok with arcam,but not my kit and my amp RRP was 2.5 times more than the arcam,I find the arcam did not work well with spendor s5e and neither did the mf a3.2 so I'm assuming it's the amp but I can change speakers if viable alternatives present themselves

pravstar said:
The barn will come one day lol,terraced property for now. I just found my speakers at 88db like 100wpc on tap,just my general observation. As for the speakers, I find them ok with arcam,but not my kit and my amp RRP was 2.5 times more than the arcam,I find the arcam did not work well with spendor s5e and neither did the mf a3.2 so I'm assuming it's the amp but I can change speakers if viable alternatives present themselves

I see. In my opinion a change in amp is not going to make a significant difference in your speakers 'just on the cold side of neutral' treble.

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Do you think a change in speaker then would do the trick. If so, do you have any recommendations on what you think will work well

pravstar said:
Do you think a change in speaker then would do the trick. If so, do you have any recommendations on what you think will work well

It may well do although I would try to play with repositioning your ProAcs first to see if this can make any improvements.

Unfortunately speakers are extremely difficult to get right because of your particular room set-up and your hearing. People can make recommendations as to what should work well together but this is often their own personnal opinion and it will not work for everyone. Can you actually get to audition any speakers where you are?

If so what sort of makes and what would your budget be?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts