Rear Speakers...?

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello forum.
Hoping for a bit of advice re: my home cinema speaker/amp setup if possible. Currently have:
* Yamaha DSP-E800 processor/amp (for centre speakers/sub/rears)
* Arcam Alpha 8R amp (for front speakers)
* Mission 752 Freedom front speakers
* Mission 75C centre speaker
* Mission 77DS rear speakers
* Paradigm PDR-10 subwoofer

All a bit old skool but decent kit and I like it. Except...that I occasionally wonder about the rear speakers. They sound a bit hollow and "boxy" to me compared to the others, and there ain't a lot of bass. From what I've read, the rears didn't matter so much back in the Pro-Logic days because they didn't do a great deal and the frequency range was restricted, etc. - but these days when I'm watching lots of stuff in Dolby Digital/DTS, should I be thinking of upgrading the rears to something a bit better?

Also a little confused about all the bipole/dipole design (such as these rears have, I gather) creating a broad sound field behind the listener vs a "normal" monopole speaker. I wondered about using some "normal" speakers for the rears (perhaps a smaller pair of Missions or even another pair of 752s) but I then read that this might be a mistake and that the sound behind the listener would then become so "localised" at close range that it would be annoying/irritating.

Does anyone have any advice please? This is mainly for watching films and TV programmes in surround sound rather than music. My music collection goes through the Arcam/Mission 752Fs nicely already, no particular need to change any of that.

Thanks!
Alan.

Gasp3621

May 19, 2015
Visit site
bigalxyz said:
Hello forum.Hoping for a bit of advice re: my home cinema speaker/amp setup if possible. Currently have:* Yamaha DSP-E800 processor/amp (for centre speakers/sub/rears)* Arcam Alpha 8R amp (for front speakers)* Mission 752 Freedom front speakers* Mission 75C centre speaker* Mission 77DS rear speakers* Paradigm PDR-10 subwoofer

All a bit old skool but decent kit and I like it. Except...that I occasionally wonder about the rear speakers. They sound a bit hollow and "boxy" to me compared to the others, and there ain't a lot of bass. From what I've read, the rears didn't matter so much back in the Pro-Logic days because they didn't do a great deal and the frequency range was restricted, etc. - but these days when I'm watching lots of stuff in Dolby Digital/DTS, should I be thinking of upgrading the rears to something a bit better?

Also a little confused about all the bipole/dipole design (such as these rears have, I gather) creating a broad sound field behind the listener vs a "normal" monopole speaker. I wondered about using some "normal" speakers for the rears (perhaps a smaller pair of Missions or even another pair of 752s) but I then read that this might be a mistake and that the sound behind the listener would then become so "localised" at close range that it would be annoying/irritating.

Does anyone have any advice please? This is mainly for watching films and TV programmes in surround sound rather than music. My music collection goes through the Arcam/Mission 752Fs nicely already, no particular need to change any of that.

Thanks!Alan.

You should check monitor audio bxfx, new bronze fx and wharfedale dfs. There is switch dipole/bipole in ma fx. They really made night/day difference with movies. Go listen them and thank me later. ;) Price is highish but if you are movie freak, you will enjoy them i guarantee!!

jjbomber

bigalxyz said:

You seem to understand it perfectly. Bipole speakers give you a room full of sound, rather than isolated spots of sound. Close your eyes when a film is on and see if you can work out where the speakers are. You shouldn't be able to, as you need surround sound. It is a bit like live gigs, where the percussionist should fill the room rather than a drummer filling the stage. If you can pick up a second hand pair of KEF TDM 34ds, that would be a great upgrade. They were £700 new. Otherwise, keep what you have.

Masontom

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I bought these speakers with given specifications. The sound of my speakers is ok. I can give you an advice that go to the shop from where you bought speakers and ask them.

TRENDING THREADS