Marriage made in heaven? B & O Beomaster 3000 to wed iPod Touch!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had a Bang and Olufsen Beomaster 3000 amplifier/tuner (circa 1977?) passed on to me. I'd like my iPod Touch (circa 2010!!) to run through this old amplifier in a sort of retro meets modernity manner. Is it possible to fashion these two pieces of technology together? If so, could somebody tell me how it can be done?

I know that the speakers are connected to the back of the amp via 2 pin connectors (one pin is spade shaped, the other pin is thin and round). There are six sockets available for speakers. The other main connectors for what would have been the turntable and tape decks in 1977 use quite 'chunky' 5 pin connectors. There are three of these sockets on the back of the amplifier.

Also on the back of the amplifier are yellow sockets in pairs (R and L). There are four pairs of these paired sockets.

If anyone could help me with this technical problem or even name the type of connectors I'm trying to describe, then it would be much appreciated. And should attempting to get a modern iPod Touch to play through an old B & O amplier/tuner simply be a pipe dream then please tell me.

Best Wishes,

Whiskybod

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That receiver had two sets of tape in/out, one on a DIN socket, the other on two pairs of phonos - those yellow sockets. They should be marked R/L as you have established, and one - third from the left, looking from the rear - is also labelled with a pictogram of a tape, sort of like this o_o and the word 'in'.

This is the one to use, although as far as I know you could also use the first and second pair from the left, which have a little circle with an arrow pointing inwards, like a back to front 'Q', and 'RL' marked on them.

Connecting an iPod is just a matter of connecting a cable from the 'Pod's headphone jack to those sockets, and selecting 'tape' (or whichever input you choose). There are plenty of '3.5mm stereo to two phonos cables' available for just this purpose.

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much Andrew for you help, insight and technical expertise. I am really grateful as I have fond memories of being 'entranced' by the B & O amp when I was in my teens. Dad would let me use it only if I was careful!!

Please could you tell me how to get around the problem of the speaker sockets as I am aware that I have not seen such 2 pin speaker connectors (one spade like, the other thin and round) in a while. Is there an adaptor or should I be using another socket?

Many thanks.

Whiskybod

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm afraid you're kinda stuck with those DIN sockets, short of performing major surgery on the unit.

The plugs are still available from the likes of Maplin and others - such as these slightly more hefty looking Deltron ones -, so you should be able to fit those on the end of (relatively thin) speaker cable.

image.php

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your latest post Andrew. I nipped down to my nearest Maplin and bought some 2 pin DIN plugs for a very reasonable price. The good news is I'm up and running!! I'm now able to play my iPod Touch through my dad's 33+ year old amp! Thank you ever so much for all your help - I am really grateful.

I have used my basic Cambridge Audio ID10 iPod dock from upstairs to test the system. I'm sure the B & O amplifier could be graced by a more upmarket iPod dock but it will do for now. As will the cheap and cheerful Maplin DIN plugs. I'll upgrade later but at this point in time I'm so pleased! Thank you once more.

Best Wishes,

Whiskybod

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Great story. Properly treated, B&O (like any decently engineered kit) goes on forever - as I know from the 18-year old Beolab 8000 speakers we have at home
emotion-21.gif

I've also been lucky enough also to be given my fathers Bang and Olufsen Beomaster 3000 amplifier/tuner (circa 1977?). It seems to power up fine but I do not have any other cables. I would suppose it needs an aerial plugged into it (as I will mainly use it for radio) and to have a cable or 2 for speakers. Am I on the right path? If so, can anyone help describe what cables i should be asking for at Maplin to check it actually works.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Christopher Brown said:
I've also been lucky enough also to be given my fathers Bang and Olufsen Beomaster 3000 amplifier/tuner (circa 1977?). It seems to power up fine but I do not have any other cables. I would suppose it needs an aerial plugged into it (as I will mainly use it for radio) and to have a cable or 2 for speakers. Am I on the right path? If so, can anyone help describe what cables i should be asking for at Maplin to check it actually works.

For speakers you will need cables terminated (at the B&O end) with male DIN 'spade and pin' connectors ...

Speaker_din_male_and_female.jpg

(male connector on right)

At the speaker terminals you can usually use bare wire. (Just take care to get the polarity right.)

Maplin sell these ...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2-pin-din-jack-to-open-loudspeaker-cable-10m-web-only-l64ba

(You'll need two.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts