Marantz PM7200 powerful enough to properly drive Monitor Audio RX1 or RX2?

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Looking to upgrade my BX2 with something a little higher up the MA range. I love the sound from the BX2 but would like a wider soundstage and if possible a better bass response. I was looking at the RX1 or RX2 and wondered if my amp could drive them properly or would the amp become the weak link if I upgraded?

any advice is as always appreciated

Mo

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
No problem at all. The PM7200 is a very powerful amp............95 watts @ 8 ohm..............that's more than enough for the RX1 or RX2.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i was looking at the marantz 7200 on the bay the other day, it still commands good money so im guessing a pretty good amp, especially with the class a option, shame more amps werent made like this.i think xtz does them

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i was looking at the marantz 7200 on the bay the other day, it still commands good money so im guessing a pretty good amp, especially with the class a option, shame more amps werent made like this.i think xtz does them

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
audioaddict said:
sorry for the double post..........nice turntable by the way peterpiper

thanks, I wish it was a 1200 though ;) the tt itself was a bargain, £60 in the manchester loot, but with the cost of a new decent cart and a phono, its now getting close to the cost of a brand new project carbon debut :oops: , but I would think this package sounds better with the at440 and CA 651 , rather than the projects default ortofon red direct into the yamahas own phono, but I dont know

and the Marant 7200, cracker of an amp, one of those classic budget 'giant killers' (I think thats the term the mags use)

I had one, the biggest hifi mistake I ever made was to sell it on WHY WHY WHY I ask myself :p it was a bit of a tank to look at though

Have you ever done something you regret

iJoe

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Is the RX2 easier to drive than the RX1? I imagine so. The BX1 from what I've found online may even be harder to drive as the impedance drops quite low. They're a great buy atm as there are good discounts around with the new model having come out, think you should try.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yes many things peter but as regarding hifi lmao, i really regret selling my technics se a 2000 pre power amp, it was a beauty. very sad about that. i cant help thinking your technics tt would be better than a carbon

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Not being able to audition I have ordered a set of the each (RX1 and RX2) and they have been delivered today. I must admit the RX2 are pretty big for bookshelf speakers but not as bad as the Mission 702's I once owned. Both look well put together and holding them gives an instant feel of quality over the BX2's.

I am off on Sunday so should give them a listen and see how they sound. With the price reductions on these sets at the moment they really are bargain.

Mo

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Not being able to audition I have ordered a set of the each (RX1 and RX2) and they have been delivered today. I must admit the RX2 are pretty big for bookshelf speakers but not as bad as the Mission 702's I once owned. Both look well put together and holding them gives an instant feel of quality over the BX2's.

I am off on Sunday so should give them a listen and see how they sound. With the price reductions on these sets at the moment they really are bargain.

Mo

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Mohsin said:

Mo

can you tell the differnce with your 7200 in class A ?

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
When I first got it I only tried the class A mode for a few hours and couldnt tell them apart. But I can now and I would say in class A its a more full sound however the amp runs very hot and the maximum output gets limited but its more then enough for casual listening. In normal operation without the class A the output increases considerably but the sound is a little brighter and the amp takes alot longer to heat up.

Mo

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Mohsin said:
When I first got it I only tried the class A mode for a few hours and couldnt tell them apart. But I can now and I would say in class A its a more full sound however the amp runs very hot and the maximum output gets limited but its more then enough for casual listening. In normal operation without the class A the output increases considerably but the sound is a little brighter and the amp takes alot longer to heat up.

Mo

pretty much my experience, I wonder if thats why the chassis is so big, to dissipate heat in class A

its a great amp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts