• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Question Marantz PM7000N - Ideal stand mount speaker?

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Recently bought a Marantz PM 7000N amp, using it with KEF Q300 speakers.

wish to upgrade the speakers, any suggestions?

seriously looking at KEF LS50, will it be a good match or overkill?

Room size: 3M by 6 M
I do have Atacama stands
Listen to mostly 80s music and a little bit of classical.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

manicm

May 1, 2008
B&W 606s2 as a sideways improvement but definite improvement. Or a higher end Dali. You actually have a wide choice of speakers with sensible impedance figures.

If you’re looking at the LS50 but have spare cash go straight to the newer LS50 Meta - it’s an improvement and seems to work better with lower power amps as well.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

Apr 30, 2012
B&W 606s2 as a sideways improvement but definite improvement. Or a higher end Dali. You actually have a wide choice of speakers with sensible impedance figures.

If you’re looking at the LS50 but have spare cash go straight to the newer LS50 Meta - it’s an improvement and seems to work better with lower power amps as well.
Nothing to add to this, except for the fact that I've yet to hear a bad sounding Marantz + Dali partnership. Maybe audition their Oberon 5 floorstanders as well, they'll take less floor space than the Atacama stands, as they're not that big and are quite unfussy about positioning.

Reactions: Al ears

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
You say nothing is wrong with the sound. If so don't throw your money away.
No doubt you can get better, but no matter what you have, that is true

Reactions: DougK

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
I bought a Marantz PM7000N for my mother 3 weeks ago. It matches superbly with her Sonus Faber Venere 2.0
Sonus Faber don't make the Venere any more. I'd suggest checking out the SF Sonneto bookshelf models.

Reactions: Chris2021

RBinDC

Aug 21, 2020
Does the 7000n have enough power to best drive the LS-50s? People have claimed you need 100 watts per channel to do that.

The 7000n is only rated at 60 watts. However, the WHF review confusingly stated that it has a max output of 120 watts. Are they just summing the two channels? Or is this indicating the dynamic range of the power amp?

I have heard the PM7000n drive two B&W floorstanders and they sounded great! But then they are more efficient than LS-50s.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Does the 7000n have enough power to best drive the LS-50s? People have claimed you need 100 watts per channel to do that.

The 7000n is only rated at 60 watts. However, the WHF review confusingly stated that it has a max output of 120 watts. Are they just summing the two channels? Or is this indicating the dynamic range of the power amp?

I have heard the PM7000n drive two B&W floorstanders and they sounded great! But then they are more efficient than LS-50s.
I have an older Marantz PM8005 amplifier with the KEF LS50's. Excellent match and no plans to change the combination any time soon. I also find Tannoy speakers work really well with Marantz gear.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS