Marantz PM66SE Ki vs Yamaha AX900

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion both amplifier have a very good sound! Excellent build, and very friendly with a lot of speakers. True, Marantz PM 66Ki is more rafinate, but Yamaha AX900 have a great precision and dynamic to. I'm curious about other opinions , preference about this two amplifiers. *music2*.

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The sound is somewhat different, but I like both. Maybe this is a big dilemma*scratch_one-s_head* . Yamaha overall is not so warm like Marantz, but is very fast, clean. Yamaha AX-900 is a vintage monster(17Kilo), one of the top end from Yamaha, have a lot of features, very well built, but the same time Marantz PM-66SE KI, even is only 7 kilo, and not so features(no tone controls!) is one of the Marantz top audiophille amplifier. And the sound even not so accurate like Yamaha, seem to be more musical, balanced and lot of sweet details is here present.

BTW, I know how your PM 8005 is another good amplifier from Marantz, a good return for a big sound and musicality- a historic features of Marantz house. Pleasant listening!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Marantz 66KI has a warm enveloping sound. Some may perceive it to be less detailed and exciting than more testosterone-fueled amps, but it's easier to live with the sound of this amp in the long term. Up-front 'aggressive' amps have a bigger potential to impress in the demo-room, but in the comfort of your own lounge, unless you're a massochist you soon get tired of every listening-session like being bi*ch-slapped across the face. But at the end of the day, choose which ever sounds best to your ears.

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Marantz 66KI has a warm enveloping sound. Some may perceive it to be less detailed and exciting than more testosterone-fueled amps, but it's easier to live with the sound of this amp in the long term. Up-front 'aggressive' amps have a bigger potential to impress in the demo-room, but in the comfort of your own lounge, unless you're a massochist you soon get tired of every listening-session like being bi*ch-slapped across the face. But at the end of the day, choose which ever sounds best to your ears.

I do not seem Yamaha AX-900 so "aggressive", tiring with details , I heard others Yamaha ( like AX596, AX892, AX-497, M-60, even newer A-S500) seems much more analytical. but shore depend of the context (matching with the speakers, sources). Yes is up-front amplifier and biger testosterone amplifier for shore but also have something special, in the sound, more musical like others Yamaha. On the other hand, yes, true, 66KI has a warm enveloping sound, a very good, deep sounstage, and the sound seem to be so good balanced(?) focused, great imaging and details: definetely is the relaxing sound to my ears in my lounge every end of the day :)

BTW, somewhat similar sound I discovered at the newer entry Marantz PM6004 and PM6005, very well built for a China made ;) ..maybe a litle more detailed like PM66KI, but not bad at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts