Marantz pm7000n vs Yamaha rn803d

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I'm a happy owner of a pair of monitor audio silver 200 with a REL sub. Currently running them with a marantz SR5013.

Since this is an AV receiver I'm thinking that's not the best choice for my setup. I always use it for music purposes.

I'm planning to buy a new stereo integrated amplifier, my budget is 1200 usd max.
Also, I would like to have streaming so I was starting to consider the Marantz pm7000n or the Yamaha rn803d.

Any opinions of which one is better?
I like marantz but I don't know if the 60w/channel will be enough. Yamaha has 100w/channel.

Do you think any of this integrated amps will be better than the SR5013 for music?

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
I would choose the Marantz, the 60w is ample for the Silver 200s. Monitor Audio seem to be more realistic than other manufacturers about amp requirements,

BTW, which version do you have, the Mk6 or Mk7 Silver 200?

I have 6 series, I love them.
Do you also think the pm7000n will be a good upgrade in sound quality in comparison to the sr5013?

rainsoothe

Hi everyone.

I'm a happy owner of a pair of monitor audio silver 200 with a REL sub. Currently running them with a marantz SR5013.

Since this is an AV receiver I'm thinking that's not the best choice for my setup. I always use it for music purposes.

I'm planning to buy a new stereo integrated amplifier, my budget is 1200 usd max.
Also, I would like to have streaming so I was starting to consider the Marantz pm7000n or the Yamaha rn803d.

Any opinions of which one is better?
I like marantz but I don't know if the 60w/channel will be enough. Yamaha has 100w/channel.

Do you think any of this integrated amps will be better than the SR5013 for music?
Hi - do you live in the US?

rainsoothe

Hi! Yes I do
Cool.

First of all, the best (and, really, only) way to know is to audition for yourself. So, if you can make a shortlist and audition, go do that. For instance, I'm not a huge fan of Yamaha amps, but a huge number of people are, and they are indeed pretty good for the money (just not my cuppa tea).

For your budget, you could also have Bluesound Powernode on your list. Sound is subjective, but the software is probably the best of the three (the Bluesound, Marantz and Yamaha).

Now, if you don't mind having 2 boxes instead of one (and therefore not being able to control the volume from the app), you could look at an integrated amp and separate streamer. The advantage of this is that you (probably, not necessarily) get a better amp, and that it would be cheaper to just replace the streamer once the technology moves on (since software changes way faster than hardware). For this, I would look at getting a cheap streamer (the discontinued but great and cheap Chromecast Audio can still be found in some places, but they're also rumoured to launch an updated version of it - so if you can just use a laptop or whatever as a source if it's not gonna be launched in 2024 :p) or a Yamaha WXAD 10. If you're computer savvy, you could also look into a Raspberry PI solution - again, cheap as chips and versatile, but requires some initial software setup.

The above would leave enough budget for a used Rogue Audio Sphinx (v3 is the latest, but any will do) or Schiit Ragnarok. If you can stretch your budget to get them new, that's perfectly fine, that's why I asked if you live in the US, since those are US brands and are cheaper than what you get in yurp.

P.S.: This is not to deter you from your original two, just adding some options. For the record, I like Marantz too.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts