• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Marantz PM6007

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Fear not. The vocal performance will be back, along other vague 'improvements' when the UK version is released in 6 months., for an extra £50.

Reactions: Gray

eoc69

Dec 7, 2019
For more or less the same money you can get the audiolab 600a, which is a stunning amp compared to the just decent marantz pm 6006

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
When it comes to the progression of tech devices of all kinds, I am sceptical, with a dash of cynism thrown in.

Back in the late 70's of the last century I came home from an auction of pro recording gear held in Studio 1, Abbey Rd. with a little early '60's Leak valve pre and power amp - about 15W. Cost me £25. Good money, then. (M. Oldfield had bought the Mellotron used on Sgt P. Who at Abbey Rd OKed the sale of that? )

I set the Leak in place of the girlfriend's solid state JVC equivalent to the Marantz 6000 range - IE all the mags' recommended default 'entry level' hi-fi amp.

She, not being in any way a 'hi-fi' buff, immediately said, "the sound is so much clearer". Her take on a really significant improvement over the JCV.

But, sceptical as I am, the fad for 12" vinyl makes me smile. The makers of turntables and associated pre-amp electronics must think they're dreaming and any minute they'll wake up to find ...

nopiano

Feb 15, 2009
Fear not. The vocal performance will be back, along other vague 'improvements' when the UK version is released in 6 months., for an extra £50.
I also fear that’s likely to be the case, along with £50 off in January sales and £100 by this time next year. I’d like to see the graph of these 600x series prices, because they always follow a similar trajectory. Perhaps it’s similar to the annual TV cycle of prices, where last years Best Buy is usually a third cheaper than the newest release and still excellent.

Reactions: Mr. C Nation

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
I kept my eye on the price of the legendary Marantz CD ?? KI in a branch of Richer Sounds, right opposite the end of my road. Sure enough, Marantz replaced it with a new model. I was in there like Flint [a silly Bond-spoof move called "In Like Flint", a phrase I use for fast/chop-chop] and got the KI for £200 less than it had been the day before.

This CD... KI went on to be one of the 10 best audio devices of any kind in the 40 year old publishing history of whatever hifi mag.

I expect this process is called 'product churn' or something. Whatever, it all makes work for the workers to do.

manicm

May 1, 2008
Maybe just a *tad* too cynical. From the review it seems the new model is based on the previous UK variant. So I doubt there’ll be a special version this time round.

bart

Oct 5, 2020
Save an extra hundred and get the audiolab.
Would you choose the Audio lab 6000A (if that is the one you refer to?) over the Marantz PM6007? I'm interested why, as I'm currently debating which to get. Thanks!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts