Marantz PM6007

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
When it comes to the progression of tech devices of all kinds, I am sceptical, with a dash of cynism thrown in.

Back in the late 70's of the last century I came home from an auction of pro recording gear held in Studio 1, Abbey Rd. with a little early '60's Leak valve pre and power amp - about 15W. Cost me £25. Good money, then. (M. Oldfield had bought the Mellotron used on Sgt P. Who at Abbey Rd OKed the sale of that? )

I set the Leak in place of the girlfriend's solid state JVC equivalent to the Marantz 6000 range - IE all the mags' recommended default 'entry level' hi-fi amp.

She, not being in any way a 'hi-fi' buff, immediately said, "the sound is so much clearer". Her take on a really significant improvement over the JCV.

But, sceptical as I am, the fad for 12" vinyl makes me smile. The makers of turntables and associated pre-amp electronics must think they're dreaming and any minute they'll wake up to find ...

Fear not. The vocal performance will be back, along other vague 'improvements' when the UK version is released in 6 months., for an extra £50.
I also fear that’s likely to be the case, along with £50 off in January sales and £100 by this time next year. I’d like to see the graph of these 600x series prices, because they always follow a similar trajectory. Perhaps it’s similar to the annual TV cycle of prices, where last years Best Buy is usually a third cheaper than the newest release and still excellent.

Reactions: Mr. C Nation

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
I kept my eye on the price of the legendary Marantz CD ?? KI in a branch of Richer Sounds, right opposite the end of my road. Sure enough, Marantz replaced it with a new model. I was in there like Flint [a silly Bond-spoof move called "In Like Flint", a phrase I use for fast/chop-chop] and got the KI for £200 less than it had been the day before.

This CD... KI went on to be one of the 10 best audio devices of any kind in the 40 year old publishing history of whatever hifi mag.

I expect this process is called 'product churn' or something. Whatever, it all makes work for the workers to do.

Jose Lopes

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Hello all.

My first post here.

I have an old Musical Fidelity Electra E10 with a Bluesound node 2i connected and attached to my old floorspeakers DALI Blue 6006.

I want to upgrade my Musical Fidelity amplifier and I was thinking of this Marantz PM 6007.

Do you think this is a good trade?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Marantz PM6007? I am looking to buy it for a family member as a gift. I am also considering the Audiolab 6000A, but it is more expensive. I would appreciate any impressions.

Rachelw

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi there, I don't really understand much about DACs and playing bluetooth so I wondered if someone could please help/advise me. I just purchased a marantz PM6006 amp and would like to be able to play music wirelessly from devises as well. Is it worth getting one of these https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/ifi-zen-blue to connect to it? I thought the amp had a DAC in it so slightly confused.

How does the zen blue device compare to google chromecast audio?

I also have an older Rotel amp from the 80s/90s-is it possible to connect that to something like this (in another room), or would that not work? Thanks in advance...

LosAngelos

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
Last edited:

user

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Marantz’s latest entry-level amp is even better than its Award-winning predecessor.

Marantz PM6007 : Read more

While I mostly agree with the reviewer, after purchasing one a couple of months ago I would criticise one point and that is the volume control. I am used to a Rega amp that had a very linear control which made it easy to set the the required volume, however the Marantz seems quite crude in comparison going from either too quiet or too loud in a single bound with no happy medium!

D

Deleted member 108165

While I mostly agree with the reviewer, after purchasing one a couple of months ago I would criticise one point and that is the volume control. I am used to a Rega amp that had a very linear control which made it easy to set the the required volume, however the Marantz seems quite crude in comparison going from either too quiet or too loud in a single bound with no happy medium!
Yep, most Marantz amps do this, previously I've got around it by using attenuators on the inputs. Thankfully, current amp does not require them as it has a "normal" linear volume pot.

user

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Ok, but why should a customer have to "improve" any product they have just purchased, and if this is a known problem then why hasn't it been addressed by the manufacturer? I've never had a problem with the volume control of any amplifier I've owned since purchasing my first hifi set up in the 1980s, however, this is my first purchase from a non UK based manufacturer which may have proved to be an error.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Ok, but why should a customer have to "improve" any product they have just purchased, and if this is a known problem then why hasn't it been addressed by the manufacturer? I've never had a problem with the volume control of any amplifier I've owned since purchasing my first hifi set up in the 1980s, however, this is my first purchase from a non UK based manufacturer which may have proved to be an error.
It's a marketing ploy, makes the amp appear to be more powerful than it actually is. It isn't a fault as such and it's not improving the product by inserting attenuation, it is purely a personal preference. Marantz are not alone, many amp volume pots are designed this way, including UK built amps. As far as I'm aware it's down to input sensitivity of the amp, plug in CDP giving out 2V and it will get loud very quickly without much volume dial movement.

You can either live with it, add attenuation, or get shot of it :)

user

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
I know nothing about electronics or marketing but I don't see how having a dodgy non linear volume control makes it a more desirable device; that to me is just poor design. What if someone set up the accelerator in a car that way just to make it seem more powerful? Having just spent £500 I suppose I'll have to live with it for a while but it's a reminder that anything of real quality always costs a bit more. Oh yes, and don't take it for granted that what you read bears any relation to the reality.

Jose Lopes

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Hello again.

I have an old Musical Fidelity Electra E10 with a Bluesound node 2i connected and attached to my old floorspeakers DALI Blue 6006.

I want to upgrade my Musical Fidelity amplifier and I was thinking of this Marantz PM 6007.

Do you think this is a good trade?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JLopes

CryptBala

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,

I do not have any audition options available. I already have a Marantz PM6005 and PM6007 I am yet to listen to the PM6007 it is still in the box. I got a good deal for PM8003 should I go for it or should I stick with 6007 since it has got a Sub out which PM8003 doesn't have. there is a sub input available in my speakers which I would like to leverage. I am bit confused between connectivity and power please advise

petrumetricii

Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I also have a question, though it's an old theme. I had a Marantz pm 6002. Now I listen on a vintage Marantz receivers : a recapped 2220 and a 2230. As I listen mostly vinyl, I read that pm 8006 is the amp to go for, but unfortunately, I can not afford it. So, is worth picking the 6007 and more precisely, is there a big difference in the sound with the 6002 I had. If not, I'll stick with my vintage receivers for now as they have very warm sound I like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts