marantz pm6005 or rega brio r..?

suresh babu

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
dear members,

i am looking for stereo integrated amp for my q acoustics 2020i speakers..

for this i have analysed and shortlisted to two models.

1. marantz pm 6005

2. rega brio r.

for my budget ,rega brio r is bit on high side than marantz.. but if the difference in tonal and musical quality is marginal ,i can steretch to rega brio r..

no demo options available in our native side(india)..

i dont need feature set , i am looking for good sound quality, especially tonal reproduction..

i listened same speakers with old marantz pm 6004 and happy but seems bit soft for my taste..and somewhat missing in that combination.. but reviews of new marantz pm6005 seems that problem is corrected.. it also induce me to buy marantz pm6005 to save some money than rega brio r..

if sound quality difference is marginal or moderate , i will go with rega brio r..

-suresh babu

suresh babu said:
dear members,

i am looking for stereo integrated amp for my q acoustics 2020i speakers..

for this i have analysed and shortlisted to two models.

1. marantz pm 6005

2. rega brio r.

for my budget ,rega brio r is bit on high side than marantz.. but if the difference in tonal and musical quality is marginal ,i can steretch to rega brio r..

no demo options available in our native side(india)..

i dont need feature set , i am looking for good sound quality, especially tonal reproduction..

i listened same speakers with old marantz pm 6004 and happy but seems bit soft for my taste..and somewhat missing in that combination.. but reviews of new marantz pm6005 seems that problem is corrected.. it also induce me to buy marantz pm6005 to save some money than rega brio r..

if sound quality difference is marginal or moderate , i will go with rega brio r..

-suresh babu

Which speakers?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The Rega will be a bit punchier, but hey no standby and there can be if you had bad luck hum from the speakers, I would go for the Marantz.

obsidyen

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If I were you, I'd keep the amp (those two amps won't be much better than PM6004, if at all) and buy some new, punchier speakers. I'm also looking to get news speakers and so far, I liked the ones below.

My suggestions:

1- B&W 685 S2: new model, warm and exciting sound, deep bass

2- Monitor Audio Silver 1/ or 2: Clear, crisp, lively sound. I liked it.

3- KEF R300: This is a monster of a speaker. Amazing bass and clarity. Sadly big for my bedroom, and the bass port is on the back, so it'll probably be better for bigger rooms.

4- Focal Aria 906: Great sound again. But you should listen and see if you like it. Big plus is they are made in France, so good workmanship.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
agree with above, the pm6004 is a nice amp, the speakers you have are the weak link imo, the pm6004 is capable of driving better speakers

I have heard the pm6005 in a shop and feel it just sounds brighter than the pm6004, I didnt listen long enough though to judge it properly, but it seemed to be lacking that liquid sound of the pm6004 , I know WHF like the pm6005 and said its now better than a rotel ra10, ie more subtle and insightful ,

Cant comment on the rega but feel it wont be much better, just different,

get better speakers for your 6004, this is were you will notice a bigger difference in sound

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
peterpiper said:
agree with above, the pm6004 is a nice amp, the speakers you have are the weak link imo, the pm6004 is capable of driving better speakers

I have heard the pm6005 in a shop and feel it just sounds brighter than the pm6004, I didnt listen long enough though to judge it properly, but it seemed to be lacking that liquid sound of the pm6004 , I know WHF like the pm6005 and said its now better than a rotel ra10, ie more subtle and insightful ,

Cant comment on the rega but feel it wont be much better, just different,

get better speakers for your 6004, this is were you will notice a bigger difference in sound

+1

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts