Question Marantz NR1200

Kpierce

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello all, I recently purchased a Marantz NR1200 and am more or less pleased with it. I am running HSU research bookshelf speakers as well as a HSU VTF-3 subwoofer. I've read a ton of reviews about this receiver and they all claim it has rich full bodied sound, however without my subwoofer connected there is an incredible lack of depth. This isn't due to my speakers, I had them connected to a pioneer elite vsx-55 before making the 2 channel plunge and they sounded great. I've tried turning the subwoofer off, and looked through other settings and I can't figure it out. I even purchased another unit thinking I may have gotten a defective one but the issue was the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Take care and have a great day.

manicm

From what I read the NR1200 is smooth sounding and works best with punchy speakers (e.g. B&W 606/7) - can you state your exact speaker model?

Also note, it has an adjustable subwoofer output. Make sure any possible subwoofer settings are switched off if you’re removing it.

Kpierce

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
The speakers are HSU HB-1 mk 2. They sound really good when connected to other amps. I'd have to say depth of field. I'll turn up some punchy tracks and the woofers will barely move. I'm not sure how to accurately describe it. It almost sounds like there's a crossover that drops out 80% of the bass that should be there.

The speakers are HSU HB-1 mk 2. They sound really good when connected to other amps. I'd have to say depth of field. I'll turn up some punchy tracks and the woofers will barely move. I'm not sure how to accurately describe it. It almost sounds like there's a crossover that drops out 80% of the bass that should be there.
As manicm says, check your subwoofer output settings. When you say you have tried turning the subwoofer off do you mean on the subwoofer or in the amp settings? If subwoofer is set to Yes it will be adding a low-pass filter. Try it with Source Direct button pressed in.

manicm

KPierce, those are very neat speakers you have there. The paper specs however state frequency response of 60Hz – 20kHz, so they don’t seem to go very low. Use your subwoofer.

The blurb does say ‘The HB-1MK2 was designed specifically to work best in systems using subwoofers.’.

Do let me know how you’re getting on with your NR1200 as I want to take the plunge too.

Last edited:

Kpierce

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. Manicm, I do love the way the NR1200 sounds. I've heard details in my music I never noticed before. It does have a couple quirks though. When streaming using Bluetooth or HEOS the volume on your phone adjusts the volume on the receiver. Sounds obvious until you remember you're waiting on an important call and go to adjust your ringer settings and accidently turn the stereo up all the way. Luckily I catch myself as I'm doing it and haven't damaged anything. I haven't tested the phono or any other sources to be honest. My wife wanted something small and simple and I wanted something to replace our terrible Samsung sound bar. I haven't had the opportunity to test out everyone's advice yet, been really busy at work. I have tomorrow off so I'll be spending some time fiddling around with it. Thanks again everyone!

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. Manicm, I do love the way the NR1200 sounds. I've heard details in my music I never noticed before. It does have a couple quirks though. When streaming using Bluetooth or HEOS the volume on your phone adjusts the volume on the receiver. Sounds obvious until you remember you're waiting on an important call and go to adjust your ringer settings and accidently turn the stereo up all the way. Luckily I catch myself as I'm doing it and haven't damaged anything. I haven't tested the phono or any other sources to be honest. My wife wanted something small and simple and I wanted something to replace our terrible Samsung sound bar. I haven't had the opportunity to test out everyone's advice yet, been really busy at work. I have tomorrow off so I'll be spending some time fiddling around with it. Thanks again everyone!
I bought an Nr1200 a couple of months ago and I'm pretty happy with it although the phono stage underwhelmed me a little.
I plugged my Rega phono in and all is good.
I did sign up for Amazon HD music but found the Heos app had issues with Amazon and I've gone back to the £5 a month more expensive TIDAL.
Functionally, apart from those issues its great and I'm happy with my purchase.
The attraction for me partly was fitting into my rack and getting rid of one box, so if it firsall your requirements id recommend it.
Apparently its on offer here for £369.00

Sounds a bargain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts