Marantz M-CR610: speakers decision

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
peterpiper said:
kukulec said:
Could you discribe a little bit better the Onkyo 9030 please?

one of the better ones of the budget crowd imo , treble sounds a touch soft though to me,its easy on the ears and detailed enough, and bass is ample, the tone controls are not sublte though !!  , using a massive 12db cut and boost ,  and if used in conjunction with the 'phase bass' switch it can push the cones to uncontrolled boom, best left switched off, it sounds more natural?

what hifi has a good review of it

Hello :) your onkyo 9030 made me think..
Because its really cheap! Would it be able to drive more kinds of 'not that easy to drive' speakers? Can an amp like this be connected to a steaming device like the heos link? Or do you need an integrated amp. Im sorry, dont know exactly what kind of amp you need to connect a separate streamer..

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
skysounds said:
peterpiper said:
kukulec said:
Could you discribe a little bit better the Onkyo 9030 please?

one of the better ones of the budget crowd imo , treble sounds a touch soft though to me,its easy on the ears and detailed enough, and bass is ample, the tone controls are not sublte though !! , using a massive 12db cut and boost , and if used in conjunction with the 'phase bass' switch it can push the cones to uncontrolled boom, best left switched off, it sounds more natural

what hifi has a good review of it

Hello :) your onkyo 9030 made me think.. Because its really cheap! Would it be able to drive more kinds of 'not that easy to drive' speakers? Can an amp like this be connected to a steaming device like the heos link? Or do you need an integrated amp. Im sorry, dont know exactly what kind of amp you need to connect a separate streamer..

not familiar with the heos link , but if it has line level pre outs i dont see why it would not work by feeding it into the line inputs on any intergrated ???, I am sure someone will know for sure

as for the onkyo amp. it s budget model afterall but has a good power rating 'on paper' , WHF tested it with QA 1020? and even KEF R100 and 'was right at home with them' their words, but maybe not really good enough for the kefs in some people eyes,

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Are budget amps like the Onkyo 9030, Yamaha AS-500 or Denon PMA-720AE stronger performers than all-in-one/compact systems like the Marantz/D3020/minx xi etc.?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
skysounds said:
Are budget amps like the Onkyo 9030, Yamaha AS-500 or Denon PMA-720AE stronger performers than all-in-one/compact systems like the Marantz/D3020/minx xi etc.??

I'd argue yes.

Having a Denon 38dab in the house you get what you pay for.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Don't worry, no more questions :p. Just wanted to share what I decided. It might help someone who's thinking about this combo.
I went with the Cambridge Minx Xi and Q Acoustics Concept 20. I couldnt exactly hear the difference with the NadD7050 and Marantz M-CR610. Maybe because they both are smooth sounding I don't know. Or it's just my non-audiophile ears. The NAD is supposedly the best out of the 3..
To me the Minx xi gives the music more body than the Marantz M-cr610. Maybe it's just the 'character' of the amp, which makes me hear a difference and which makes me like the Minx more. Of course there are amps that will get more out of the Concept 20's. I've been listening a lot to the combo and for me this combination is hifi enough. Sounds great :)
I also like the the compact/minimalistic looks of both, which is also an important factor for me. Will combine the Concept 20's with the Atacama Moseco 6 stands. Wasnt too sure about the looks of the concept 20s own stands in the end, so I ordered the Atacamas.

Thanks all for the reply's/help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts