Marantz M-CR610 in livingroom

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I've been spending quite a lot of hours trying to figure out what kind of new system I want/need. The Marantz seems to be perfect. I choose the CR610 because I still like to be able to listen to a cd now and then, and I just like the compactness, one system idea. It will be nice on a cabinet in the living room. Also, I'm thinking of buying the Dali Zensor 3 (also not sure..).

So, I made my mind up to go with the Marantz, but then I started thinking, is it enough for my living room. Should I get something with more output. The problem of course is, other systems with more output miss the cd or the network function, wifi.. etc. And it will cost more.

At this moment I have a 7 year old JVC mini set CD/DVD thing (UX-G70), with 13 year old 100W Sony speakers from a minidisk set I had before the JVC (which is the Sony DHC-NX5MD).

As you can see, I'm an audio dummy, I've never had separates, I've only been reading (learning) about audio equipment since a few weeks. But I love music (mostly soft rock/acoustic/indie/mainstream bands/songwriters sometimes classical/piano) and I just want a nice sounding system, but not a one speaker iPod dock or very small and cheap miniset. And the Marantz seems to be the best compact system on the market with the most features.

In many reviews people are saying the marantz is for an office/bedroom, so what is your opinion on this system in a living room? My living room is about 36m2, but it has a long shape, and I just want my music to sound good when I'm on my couch, not the whole room. I suppose the marantz with nice speakers will be better than what I have, anyway.

The (bookshelf) speakers from the JVC set, did have a thin sound, that's why I kept the (larger floor) Sony speakers, their sound is just much more full. Will the Dali 3's give me enough sound? Or what other speakers?

Thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK.

The answer is that the M-CR610 will be absolutely fine, hopelessly inadequate or somewhere inbetween.

The '610 is a smashing unit, but it is a budget component and it's major limitation is its ability to drive the speakers, small power supply, limited sustained power delivery are the issues here. So what does that mean......?

Connect it to a moderately sensitive easy to drive speaker, positioned in a room such that it does not excite major resonances, play mainstream music (as described) at sensible levels and the '610 will do just great.

On the other hand, choose difficult, hard to drive speakers, play bass heavy modern music at louder than average levels, maybe with a bit of bass boost and you will run into problems very quickly indeed.

You probably have a good idea what kind of listener you are, from your OP I would not think your demands are excessive. Choose the right speaker, one that suits both the amplifier and the room and you will be fine.

The Zensor 3s need a little space around them and proper stands, if you can do this you should do fine.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you like the sound from 13 y/o Sony midi system speakers you may find the sonic balance of modern budget HiFi speakers is not immediately to your liking. I'd strongly suggest you audition various pairs of speakers in your budget rather than just take someone else's say-so because it's the speakers which will by far dictate the sonic signature of your HiFi.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
If you like the sound from 13 y/o Sony midi system speakers you may find the sonic balance of modern budget HiFi speakers is not immediately to your liking. I'd strongly suggest you audition various pairs of speakers in your budget rather than just take someone else's say-so because it's the speakers which will by far dictate the sonic signature of your HiFi.

Good advice to listen to as much as possible, as always.

The Zensor 3 are pretty 'full bodied' for modern speakers but I think the big issue the OP will need to resolve, is the positioning. Get this right and quite a lot of other factors fall into place.

The OP is a self confessed novice, setup could make or break this system.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
OK.

The answer is that the M-CR610 will be absolutely fine, hopelessly inadequate or somewhere inbetween.

The '610 is a smashing unit, but it is a budget component and it's major limitation is its ability to drive the speakers, small power supply, limited sustained power delivery are the issues here. So what does that mean......?

Connect it to a moderately sensitive easy to drive speaker, positioned in a room such that it does not excite major resonances, play mainstream music (as described) at sensible levels and the '610 will do just great.

On the other hand, choose difficult, hard to drive speakers, play bass heavy modern music at louder than average levels, maybe with a bit of bass boost and you will run into problems very quickly indeed.

You probably have a good idea what kind of listener you are, from your OP I would not think your demands are excessive. Choose the right speaker, one that suits both the amplifier and the room and you will be fine.

The Zensor 3s need a little space around them and proper stands, if you can do this you should do fine.

Sorry voor the 'Ok blablabla...' I typed it outside the forum and copied the text, but forgot to copy the first line: Hello I'm a newby on this forum

So hereby: Hello :grin: :wave:

Thank you very much for the quick reply! Sensible levels hmm I guess that's me.. for most of the time. Most of my music is not exactly bass heavy.
I wonder what marantz can handle. I sometimes put music louder when I want to feel it more, but what exactly is louder than average hmm.
Also, I live in an apartment so I have to think of my neighbours. The apartments do have quite good sound isolation and many neighbours around me like to play music.

Space around the speakers is no problem.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I just downloaded this dB app, placed it in front of one speaker and turned up the volume. When I play my music loud it will be around 80, max 84dB.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Thank you 2 :)

Why will I probably not like the sonic balance? Will it sound more flat, more neutral?
I just like the Sony's because they are full sounding compared to any other smaller speaker I had before. They probably are missing a lot of detail, but I don't know any better.

I tried 2 sets of headphones and I couldn't pick one. They were different sounding. With this song I liked nr 1 a bit more, with another song I prefered nr 2. So Im a little hopeless with that I think.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
OK.

Upper bolloc... mate. Do you own them to post such an advice?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
davedotco said:
OK.

Upper bolloc... mate. Do you own them to post such an advice?

The first quote was refering to the M-CR610. I have heard this unit in shop situations and it falls apart into difficult speakers at louder than average levels, otherwise it works very nicely.

The Zensor 3 was heard in a dem in a known 'good' room, in free space they were fine. The bass was, for my taste, a little fullsome, though not it seems for others.

Generally I think Dali are very good speakers, rather better than much of the price competitive competition. Speakers of that quality always sound better given room to breath and proper stands. Do you think differently?

matthewpiano

The MCR-610 pairs well with the Zensor 3, as long as you aren't seeking party levels. For normal listening (including anything you could reasonably consider volume-wise in a flat) it will be a great combo.

I do agree with Dave that the Zensor 3s benefit from having a bit of space around them, and this comes from having owned and liked them.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skysounds said:
Louder than average, is that like above 90dB?

It is difficult to be precise, SPL apps are not particularly accurate and there are many different ways to take measurements.

Do you play louder than your friends, or, given you live in an apartment, do you annoy your neighbours?

If the answer is no, then you will be fine so long as you avoid 'difficult' speakers. The Zensor 3 are around 88dB/watt, which is a little higher than average. Anything that sensitive or better will probably be fine.

A point I was trying to make earlier is that, at this sort of price level, the amp/speaker/room interface is everything. Getting the right speakers in the right place can help the amp out a lot, get this right and you are most of the way there.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
as per manufacturer recommendation Zensor's works best 5 - 30 cm away from back wall and I found this to be a good recommendation. is that a bit of space around them you meant?

btw, ATC19 are heavens better 5cm or 1meter away, don't matter that much really where I place them thay play their best even under coffee table.. Zensor's are good effort for what they cost
smiley-cool.gif

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
should try sealed design ...

Did have Zensor's 1 meter away, then 50cm now 5cm.. bass changes but it's never boomy.. midrange is recessed with this speakers anyway so won't change much.. Zensor's are not bass masters so having them closer to back wall helps.. well, sort of..it's stil poor solution to compensate for low quantity & quality bass by messing with speakers and walls
smiley-wink.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
skysounds said:
MajorFubar said:

Thank you 2 :)

Why will I probably not like the sonic balance? Will it sound more flat, more neutral?

I think you'll just find they sound completely different to what you're used to hearing. It wasn't judgemental. All I'm saying is, if your current benchmark is some Sony midi system speakers, go listen to as many different pairs as you can in your price range, to make sure you spend wisely and buy a pair you like the sound of.

matthewpiano

lpv said:
should try sealed design ...

Did have Zensor's 1 meter away, then 50cm now 5cm.. bass changes but it's never boomy.. midrange is recessed with this speakers anyway so won't change much.. Zensor's are not bass masters so having them closer to back wall helps.. well, sort of..it's stil poor solution to compensate for low quantity & quality bass by messing with speakers and walls
smiley-wink.gif

Really no need to mess. Find where the speakers sound best and leave them there!

ALL speakers, even sealed ones, interact with the room boundaries in some way or another so you still have to take care with set-up.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
skysounds said:
Louder than average, is that like above 90dB?

It is difficult to be precise, SPL apps are not particularly accurate and there are many different ways to take measurements.

Do you play louder than your friends, or, given you live in an apartment, do you annoy your neighbours?

If the answer is no, then you will be fine so long as you avoid 'difficult' speakers. The Zensor 3 are around 88dB/watt, which is a little higher than average. Anything that sensitive or better will probably be fine.

A point I was trying to make earlier is that, at this sort of price level, the amp/speaker/room interface is everything. Getting the right speakers in the right place can help the amp out a lot, get this right and you are most of the way there.

The spam filter wont let me post anything but 'this is a test'.

Maybe it works now:

--------

Oh right, that app might not be completely accurate.

I don't think Im bothering neighbours. I hear the beat (not loud) from their music, so people are ok with hearing some 'noise' from eachother. I don't want to annoy anyone, so I'm always careful with putting music loud.

Edit: woww I can post again! :cheer:

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If the livingroom is 36m2 the Dali speakers are too small and the Marantz too weak - even for normal listening.

Really? Even for normal listening?? Why do ipod speaker docks exist? Just for in a 3x3m bedroom?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skysounds said:
Vladimir said:
If the livingroom is 36m2 the Dali speakers are too small and the Marantz too weak - even for normal listening.

Really? Even for normal listening?? Why do ipod speaker docks exist? Just for in a 3x3m bedroom?

As we have been trying to get across, this is all about expectations and suitability. Adjusting the system choices to take acount of this is what this is all about.

Given your roomsize, the first combination I would try would be the M-CR610 and the Q Acoustics 2050i, the speakers are floorstanders and not significantly more expensive than Zenzor 3s on decent stands.

They are pretty sensitive and easy to drive so the '610 will seem much more powerful, the combination filling the room with ease. There is a downside though, 2050is need planty of space and a decent sized room to work well, you have the room size, so if you are able to place them properly they should be really effective.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The MCR-610 pairs well with the Zensor 3, as long as you aren't seeking party levels. For normal listening (including anything you could reasonably consider volume-wise in a flat) it will be a great combo.

I do agree with Dave that the Zensor 3s benefit from having a bit of space around them, and this comes from having owned and liked them.

Oh no. No party level at all.

I have space around my tv cabinet, so I can place them in a way that will sound best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts