Marantz CR603 - good enough to replace hi-fi separates ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to replace my old (10 years plus) budget separates system - Kenwood 3020 amp/Marantz CD/Sony radio & small book-shelf Mission speakers. These items were all good at the time when purchased, winning What Hi-Fi awards and 5* reviews e.t.c. and have served me well.

What I was looking to do was replace the amp/cd player & radio all with new models. Possibly keep the speakers and change later.

I had a bit of a look and liked the new Marantz amp/Cd 6003/4 (£300.00 each) - well reviewed by What Hi-Fi. All was going well......

...radio is quite important and finding a DAB radio component for a budget system was becoming difficult - only found a TEAC model with mixed reviews (not wanting to spend a fortune here) !!!

Then I came across the Marantz CR603 - does it all in one package for £400.00. Great reviews and I am leaning towards purchasing this along with a pair of Dali Zensor 1 speakers.

Question - How would the Marantz 603 stand up against the separates system ??

I am no connoisseur of music but want a decent sound for my CD collection (mixed bag) & good radio (generally sport on five live/ a bit of radio 2 thrown in). It will be cited in a central through room in the house (3 x 4m) but this opens up into the dining/lounge area at the rear of the house (3 x 6m) and I would want the sound to filter through.

Is it good enough or is it worth spending the extra money on separates (would'nt want to spend any more than £700/750.00) - but what about the radio ??

Any advice would be most helpful.

(First post - be gentle !)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd love to hear comments about this topic too, as a replacement for my Pioneer A605R and Marantz CD63 KI cd player?

Would this Marantz MCR-603 be much of a downgrade/upgrade or just similar......with added features?

Admittedly, I'm visiting the Manchester Show tomorrow, so hoping to see/hear this unit???

I'd be using it with my KEF Q500's.....

Guys, the 603 is probably the most written about item on these boards. Please do a search and read the various views, along with the 5 star review.

@ PB, I think you have probably got an ideal solution in the 603, but somewhere like Richer Sounds or Sevenoaks can demo the 603 -v- 6004 pair. If you prefer the 6004 then you are looking at £850+ with a radio tuner as well, and still no streaming.

A

Anonymous

Just my tuppenceworth...

I went from a NAD C355BEE amp, Arcam CD72 CD player and Monitor Audio RX2's on Partington Super Dreadnought stands to the Marantz CR603 and M/A BX5 speakers and I love the current set-up

The NAD system waqs superb BUT I really wanted to minimise my set-up and reduce box-count and gain some more space back; the Marantz is that good that it did this and more...

Sound quality is SUPERB; bas response is fantastic, overall soundstage is fantastic. Capabilities (i.e. DAB, wifi streaming, internet radio) is bang on and I couldnt ask for more.

For the price you can get the CR603 now and with varying speakers; it's a system that's VERY hard to beat with seperates under £1k IMO

I have to say though that the Martantz deserves good speakers; I only went for the BX5's at that time as that was my budget but I'm seriously considering on getting some PMC GB1i's soon (once ive finished sorting speakers for my new Cyrus set-up in my spare room upstairs)!

Dont get me wrong; the BX5's are superb and if I dont go for the PMC's I think I'm going to add a B&W PV1 sub as I borrowned my brothers a while back and the added bass from the sub was fantastic

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
Curious lack of response by the one person who's actually done it....:O

Not me then :)

The seperates I replaced were not Marantz. So my experience won't be vey useful as the OP wants to compare the M-CR603 with new Marantz CD/amp/tuner seperates (and his old system) none of which I have ever heard.

My gut feeling is that the OP should find the £900 for the seperates as he is chiefly interested in CD and radio.

The M-CR603 is an incredible machine (and it's native CD + FM tuner performance is excellent) but it really comes into it's own with AirPlay/iTunes/iPhone/iPad, streaming etc.

I don't even use the built-in internet radio preferring to stream wirelessly (via AirPlay) using the 69 pence TuneIn Radio Pro app from my iPhone. (Way better user interface and higher bit rates than the built-in internet radio and it records too!)

So if the OP has no issues about the space seperates take up and doesn't want to get into AirPlay and 'iThings' and streaming and connecting optical/coax digital sources etc. then I think seperates might* be better.

*Although the M-CR603 does sound brilliant and is on record as sounding great with far more expensive speakers than the usual budget ones. Think in terms of MA RX1/2, Castle Knight 2 or even PMC DB1is. (Not joking.)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Visited Manchester Show today......

Listened to the Marantz CD6004/PM6004 combo through a pair of Castle 2's

I was quite impressed with the sound from this system. Plenty of detail and bass punch, when listening to a reggae styled Pink Floyd tune (yes, you read that correctly!!)

They had the Marantz M-CR603 sitting on the display too, but were not demoing it....what a shame, and missed opportunity to show it off?????

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
,...when listening to a reggae styled Pink Floyd tune (yes, you read that correctly!!)

'Dub Side of The Moon' by the Easy Star All-Stars.

I have it on LP. It was a giggle for a couple of plays but the joke wears off quickly.

A

Anonymous

I've had mine for just over a week now (purchased from Richer Sounds for £399 and upgraded it with current free AirPlay offer) and am very happy with it. It has replaced my previous stereo system (Arcam CD72T/Rotel RA04) and AV system (Yamaha RX-V667/Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1).

I've hooked it up to a pair of MA Bronze BR2s and incorporated the subwoofer, using it as a 2.1 system for music and films and it sounds excellent with both.

A

Anonymous

To be fair I didn't try the Arcam/Rotel with the sub and haven't tried the Marantz without it, so comparisons are unfair. What I would say is that I don't miss the Yamaha/5.1 system with movies. So much 'faff', so many cables!

Also experienced issues with films of the dialogue getting 'lost' in scenes where there was music or other loud sound effects going on. I tried adjusting the speaker levels but this just resulted in the centre speaker being unnaturally loud. Maybe it was due to the size limitations of the Boston Acoustics Soundware satellites... I don't know and don't really care anymore.

No such problems with the Marantz 2.1 set up, great sound with movies and music too (from different sources; CD, AirPlay and SACD from Sony BDP-S370)...and so much easier to use.

rusty

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Am considering the CR603 option as well. I currently have an Arcam CD72, NAD C350 and Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's. My NAD amp is knackered and im looking to either scale down in size to a CR603 and use my Monitor Audio's or keep the Arcam CD and purchase the new Marantz PM6004 AMP to use with my Monitor Audio's. Any advice on which way would be better in this scenario??

rusty said:
Am considering the CR603 option as well. I currently have an Arcam CD72, NAD C350 and Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's. My NAD amp is knackered and im looking to either scale down in size to a CR603 and use my Monitor Audio's or keep the Arcam CD and purchase the new Marantz PM6004 AMP to use with my Monitor Audio's. Any advice on which way would be better in this scenario??

The 603 is more future-proof with its streaming abilities, internet radio etc., and it has FM too, of course. The 6004 has more 'headroom' in terms of ultimate sound quality, and with a good phono stage it would be great if you wish to play vinyl.

Depends therefore on your priorities, and future requirements, probably as much as outright sound.

Welcome to the madness!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
rusty said:

If you only want a CD player and amp, then get the PM6004 (or similar) and use it with your CD72.

A

Anonymous

I agree with both nopiano and chebby; the CR603 is more versitile but if you're only interested in a CD player and amp, then I'd replace your Nad.

Your system is very similar to my previous system (CD72T/BR2s/Rotel RA04) which I was very happy with. Things only got complicated when we decided to have an AV system too, more boxes, more speakers, more cables, etc. All sorted now though...

I'd just mention that the CR603 doesn't have a phono stage, not sure if this is an issue with you?

A

Anonymous

rusty said:

See my post further up... ^^^

A very similar system to yours and the CR603 replaced it and I'm more than happy with the end result; in fact I'd be happy to say I'm superbly impressed and glad I made the change!

rusty

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
BarryJ said:
I agree with both nopiano and chebby; the CR603 is more versitile but if you're only interested in a CD player and amp, then I'd replace your Nad.

Your system is very similar to my previous system (CD72T/BR2s/Rotel RA04) which I was very happy with. Things only got complicated when we decided to have an AV system too, more boxes, more speakers, more cables, etc. All sorted now though...

I'd just mention that the CR603 doesn't have a phono stage, not sure if this is an issue with you?

Cheers for the input, think that has got me focused on looking at replacing my NAD amp with the PM6004. I play quite a lot of vinyl on my Project turntable so if the CR603 doesnt have the phono stage that would be a negative. I think the PM6004 would definately suit what i have currently,though if i had the extra dosh id be tempted to upgrade further! The CR603 does seem like a decent system, though not really sure id make use of everything on it, bar perhaps internet radio. Incidentally anyone know of any tuners that have the capacity to play internet radio to add on my separates system?

A

Anonymous

rusty said:
BarryJ said:

Cheers for the input, think that has got me focused on looking at replacing my NAD amp with the PM6004. I play quite a lot of vinyl on my Project turntable so if the CR603 doesnt have the phono stage that would be a negative. I think the PM6004 would definately suit what i have currently,though if i had the extra dosh id be tempted to upgrade further! The CR603 does seem like a decent system, though not really sure id make use of everything on it, bar perhaps internet radio. Incidentally anyone know of any tuners that have the capacity to play internet radio to add on my separates system?

I wouldnt let the lack of a phgono stage on the CR603 be a negative at all; the NAD PP2's and PP3's can be picked up on eBay easy enough and then you've got all that you need

A solid all in one system with superb CD and DAB radio playback but also with the mega bonus of internet radio and AirPlay functionality for iTunes etc...

A

Anonymous

I totally agree and it didn't put me off either. I'm looking at buying a phono amp for mine now, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

A

Anonymous

Glad i came across this thread, people over at avforums dont seem to be much into give much advice as they used to.

Im in a similar boat to the OP.

A few months ago i was considering moving over from my current Hi-Fi seperates (Rega Mira amp, Pioneer PD-D6J SACD/CD player) to a premium dock system i.e. zeppelin/ rcube style, but i settled for a Pure i20 dock instead as it allows digital out/DAC from the iphone thus preserving the audio quality from the music as the iphone processing is bypassed. I was pleased with the results.

The Rega is currently out of action just now, which will be taken to an authorised dealer for checking whats wrong it soon at the expensse of £25/50 for an inital examination.

Space is very limited thanks to the addition of some chest of drawers in the bedroom and the Attacma Equinox rack isnt the most space efficient either.

Nearly all my music is via mp3 now. So it makes sense to sell my Pioneer PD-D6J SACD/CD player now as its a very high quality piece of kit which im sure someone will make very good use of. I may sell the amp post repair depending on the cost.

All this has attracted me to the Marantz CR603 which i happened to stumble across in the Tech News regarding free Airplay upgrade until the end of the year. It comes across as a very fine system and the reviews express this also albeit with good speakers paired to it - id be very surprised if the B&W 686's that i use for HI-FI disappoint. The unit can do alot, DAB/ Airplay/ CD/ Internet Radio/ FLAC - more so than my current setup.

My listening is controlled from the iPhone 4S so the Airplay feature would be a very welcomed addition - albeit with some sacrifice in audio quality - for when im chilling out using my iphone and using it for music in the background.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts