Speaker systems are in danger of killing budget hi-fi separates, but they shouldn't

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes and no.
Passive speakers with separate amplifiers will always work with each other but are not usually going to get the best out of either. If seeking to upgrade the amplifier the old budget speakers may no longer be satisfactory or upgrading the speakers requires a more capable amplifier for them. You can't just upgrade one component and always get clear incremental improvements.

A powered or active speakers, where the designer has taken the effort to install the best electronics for the drive units within a budget. They have the test chambers, they can make the design changes to get the best performance. Even if I can match the best amp to the best speaker for the budget all that is going to change when I take them home.

These are NOT new. Including a steamer is. I have active speakers since 1980. My wireless speakers using WiSA are from 2013 (Beolab 17 and 19). My Beosound Emerge, Beosound Level and Beolab 28 have built in internet radio and streaming services, DNLA, uPnP and Google assistant and *cough* Bluetooth. Devialet Phantoms had built in streaming and internet radio but that is now cast from a mobile phone external to the app.

The danger of most of the new system speakers all in one box is that they can't be upgraded by the user. If we all need wi-fi 7 or Bluetooth lossless and low latency is a game changer your old system needs replacing or limited to older technologies. Same problem when steaming services change, although that might be just updating the software. The most likely component, after belts and the use of rubber and foam, to need repair is the DAC and then the amplifier. If you can't take out the electronics from the all in one speaker a larger heavier box has to be sent off or taken to a local repair technician. Having some modular parts that the user can remove with a few screws and simple instructions avoids the issue.

Some manufacturers provide their wireless speakers with a hub (B&W Formation, Buchardt uses Platin, Dali have their own system and Mission has LX Connect). A hub to wireless speakers also means all connections (RCA, HDMI, optical, USB, Ethernet) go to the hub that can be hidden and not hanging of the primary speaker.

Other than Adams Audio with the T5V and T7V, which are true active speakers, the other low cost system speakers are powered speakers with a primary having all the electronics and the secondary being a passive speaker. Kanto YU4, YU6, Ruark Audio MR1 MKII and the more expensive Triangle AIO Twin are offering far more for the budget than separates. There are scores of powered speakers for under £500 and many more active and powered speakers for under £1000/1200 which include streaming options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts