MARANTZ CD63=MKII KI SIGNATURE REPLACEMENT

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I own a CD63 KI signature since 1999 and now I am considering replacing it because I had problems with the transport last fall and it was already quite difficult to find someone reliable to fix it. On top, he said that it was very difficult to find parts. The thing is that I have read so much about DACs that I am a bit confused. I am considering 2 options: 1-Buying the micromega mydac and add it to the system 2-Replacing the Marantz by a Cayin CD 50-T player (Special offer 685 pounds) The second option is the recommended by my local shop mainly because if I buy the DAC and then the transport fails or the laser, then I will have to spend more money. Which would improve more the quality of the sound? My system is a Lavardin IS amplifier, Marantz CD63MKII KI signature and PMC LB1 speakers. Cardas interconnects used. Thanks everybody

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have 63SE and I was thinking of upgrading or changing, the advise I got from many people was keep what you got or get a Blu-ray player and a DAC. You could look at the Marantz 6004 with a DAC. Do not know the Cayin is that American? Can it be serviced here or are you in the USA?

One other option is the Marantz SA KI Pearl Lite Ive seen them around for just over £600 new recently.

drlindgren

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Worth quickly checking what the problem is with your transport.

Reason I ask is because I have tended to keep my CD players until they are really old, and the thing that 'fails' for me is the transport. However, in my experience of 2 CD players (a Marantz, and a NAD), the problem ultimately came down to the fact that the transport drive belt (which is a bit like a small, black rubber band) had got old, stiff and a bit loose, and was no longer firmly driving the transport.

Was not hard to replace the drive belt (replacement, bought from eBay was pretty cheap), and CD player works beautifully again.

Your problem might be completely different, or you may just want a good excuse to splash the cash on some tasty new kit ;), but I thought potentially worth me mentioning this.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
APIQUE said:
On top, he said that it was very difficult to find parts.

Ah, that old chestnut :roll: They usually roll that one out when they're trying to get you to spend more money than you originally planned. CD-63 mk II was, in its various vanilla, SE and KI Signature guises, one of the biggest-selling CD players of all time. There really is no shortage of used players going cheap to either replace yours or raid parts from. As above, the biggest culprit is a rubber drivebelt that's seen better days. They also benefit from having the laser cleaned as well (easy to do with the lid off and a cotton-bud/q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol).

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
For CD63 the parts are extremely easy to find.

If the problem is on the belt buy from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280884428428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

If the problem is on the laser buy this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-CD63-MK2-Ki-Laser-Mechanism-CDM12-1-CDM12-2-/150990996013?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2327c3c22d

There are tons of discussions about modding the CD63 and if you are good at DIY then see this link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/54009-marantz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-1905.html

From my experience the SQ of your stock CD63 KI Signature is better than today's CDP of 800 pounds. If it is properly modded, it sounds better than anything more than 3000 pounds
smiley-money-mouth.gif
Think carefully and bring along your CD 63 for an audition/comparision before you make your decision to buy anthing new.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everybody. I have been looking into lots of forums and everybody agrees with the difficulty of getting a better CDP without expending a lot (my budget is 800-900 pound top) Cayin has the attractive to have some valves built in, so I am curious about it. I see now that the most sensible thing is to get my Marantz and compare it to the Cayin and decide maybe into modding it I´ll have a look to those links. Thanks

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
APIQUE said:
Hello

I own a CD63 KI signature since 1999 and now I am considering replacing it because I had problems with the transport last fall and it was already quite difficult to find someone reliable to fix it. On top, he said that it was very difficult to find parts. The thing is that I have read so much about DACs that I am a bit confused. I am considering 2 options: 1-Buying the micromega mydac and add it to the system 2-Replacing the Marantz by a Cayin CD 50-T player (Special offer 685 pounds) The second option is the recommended by my local shop mainly because if I buy the DAC and then the transport fails or the laser, then I will have to spend more money. Which would improve more the quality of the sound? My system is a Lavardin IS amplifier, Marantz CD63MKII KI signature and PMC LB1 speakers. Cardas interconnects used. Thanks everybody

Hi there, well I think you have done a good bit of research. I hear the Cayin CD 50T everytime I listen to my brothers system and am quite familiar with it at this point. I also happen to own a cd 63 k2 too. I really love the Cayin, its solidly built and sounds very smooth indeed. Our dealer told us that if we wanted to step up from the CD 50 then we'd have to spend considerably more. It does sound warmer than the CD 63 though. Be sure to buy from an authorised Cayin dealer though, cd players are something I wouldn't buy without warranty.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
There is a company in the UK that sell 63 II SE and KI and upgrades them as well, just google and you should find them. The tray( drawer) tends to be the thing that fails, but you can get parts and fix yourself or get someone to do it for you, the parts are cheap around £10? My tray sticks sometimes.

BigH said:
Has anyone heard the Marantz SA KI Pearl Lite and the 63 KI?

Yes I have. Used to own the CD63 Ki Sig, my brother now has it and it is still going strong.

Was auditioning the Pearl Lite when was offered a very good deal on a SA15S1, which I considered superior to either of those mentioned, so I got that instead. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi, At least I find someone who has listened to the Cayin. That was what the official dealer told me, that it was warmer than the CD63 KI and considering it is an special offer, 850€ (price is 1100€)about 685 pounds I didn´tknow what to do. Mine i also have started to feel that it is sounding more somehow metallic, voices are not what they used to be. And this feeling I have it a little bit after the repair on the transport last october. Maybe they messed up something? So I was cosidering a DAC or changing the CDP. Yours is a good input, at least I know the dealer is not trying just to sell.... I´ll take my CD63 and do a comparison. Thanks

Spincervino

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I own a Marantz 63 MKII ki since year 2002 when I bought it second hand on e-bay. I had to replace the optics, then I made some heavy DIY changes after Tnt-Audio advice and at last the device worked properly, or as I like it to.
A couple of years ago the remote control simply stopped to work, so the question is: is it likely to find a new remote (and where to look for it) that can fit with the need or a programable one which has the old sony code (that I ignore) for the remote control?

thanks all,

Spincervino

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts