Marantz cd 63 or ps3 as cd player?

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
What is the best cd player?

Now I use a Ps3 as source but I can buy a marantz cd 63 for 45£.

Any ideas if this would be an upgrade?

Tuz

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I currently use my PS3 as a CDP and was thinking about getting the Marrantz 6003 (£300)........I'm also considering buying a DAC (Beresford/DACMAGIC) to see if this improves the PS3 performance, although I'm not sure if my AV amp will re-code the DAC....

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I was also thinking of buying a dacmagic for my ps3.

But i'm still not sure if the marantz cd 63 would give a better sound than my ps3.

For one thing i'm sure: it won't make as much noise as the ps3 and I don't have to switch my tv on every time i want to listen to a cd

A

Anonymous

I still have a CD63. I can't imagine a PS3 could possibly be better than the marantz. Not much good to play games on mind. For £45 you can't go wrong (assuming its semi ok)

T

the record spot

CD63. If you want CD. If you want hi-res HD Audio, then the PS3.

T

the record spot

Not if you want HD Audio, which is as distinct from SACD, which is all the Sony can do. Likewise, for Blu-Ray Audio. As for fan noise, well, it's compromise again! There isn't a better entertainment machine out there right now at the price (and which is coming down still).

Best machine for CD alone though, of the two mentioned, the Marantz by the usual country mile!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
not sure any above had answered your question about the amp dac. You would be taking inters to the amp so the amp would not be getting a digital signal so there would nothing for the dac to do. the dac on the amp is only used on optical/hdmi/coax in not rca etc. I would say get a dac if possible i think it would improve the ps3 and you caould load your cds on and make playlists up. But for 45 euros that sounds a bargin.

Tuz

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
just listened to the 6003 at home, definately an improvement on the PS3: cymbals sound clearer and crisp, bass/kick drums more prominent and sound more detailed. Is it a big difference? no, and probably not worth the extra £300 +cables.

Will I upgrade? possibly not, more than likely to stick with the PS3 or demo a DAC.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If you didnt think there was much difference between your PS3 and the Marantz CDP then your ears are working for you
emotion-5.gif

Deffo agree with demo'ing a DAC as I thinbk you'd get similar results but for less cost.

TBH if youre after big changes I think you'd need to spend more than the Marantz gear to get massive improvements but the rest of your gear would have to play part in that too.

I do think that if you went for the Rega Apollo, NAD C545BEE or maybe an Arcam CD192 via eBay and the likes; you'd notice a difference in sound that would be worth while covering the cost.

Your amp and speakers would benefit from the upgrade.

Tuz

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
funny that, I was thinking exactly the same when I was listening tonight - trouble is, I rarely listen to music via the amp so not sure if I can justify spending £500 on the cd player. Not going to bother with the dac route.

I like the look of the arcam - any ideas where I could pick up a second hand one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts