Marantz AV Receiver DAC

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a Marantz NR1504 AV receiver with front audio pre-outs connected to an Audiolab 8000P power amp and Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers.

Currently I use the music server function of the AV receiver to take the lossless and hi-res audio files from my imac and play them - thus using the AV receiver onboard DAC. Connection between imac and AV receiver is network (not optical).

My question is this. Generally, would an external DAC improve the quality of music playback? My thoughts being that I could move the computer to within a few metres of the AV amp, and potentially connect a DAC via imac usb to the AV receiver CD inputs.

Something like the Arcam rdac can be picked up for around the £100 mark. Or I currently have an Audioquest Dragonfly plugged into the imac. Would this be just as good as an rdac, for example? Just wondered on your thoughts prior to moving everything around or making a purchase.

Thanks

Tim

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't bother.. I did have rDAC with Marantz PM6004 and after long home demo against M-CR510 couldn't hear difference so went for all singing and dancing M-CR510.. Marantz got good, transparent dacs inside their components. You're not using the weakest link in your NR1504 which is power amp section so happy listening... you've got very nice set up and no need to change it :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts