Marantz Amp Issues?

Kameron K

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
I was looking at getting a Marantz PM6006 to go with my Dali Spektor 2 and Project Debut Carbon Espirit but after reading reviews on various websites, some UK Marantz amps have had issues such as losing channels and humming coming from them etc.
I admit that a lot of things is probably caused by equipment not being put together properly or not compatible but do Marantz actually have issues?
Am I ok to get a PM6006 or is there a better amp that will go well with gear that’s around the £300 mark.

insider9

I wouldn't worry about reliability of Marantz gear. However, to my taste, Marantz doesn't go well with Dali. Not to mention I don't like PM6006. Many on here that have it and rate it.

What music do you listen to and is vinyl your only source? Also would you consider going second hand?

Kameron K

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
I listen to most genres to be honest, ska, rock, indie, reggae, electronic, metal you name it.
There’s a genre for every mood.
I play mainly vinyl, but also have a cd and cassette deck also.
And yes I’d look at secondhand if it’s in good working order and not a stupidly high price.

Tammytastic

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
I don't get any hum from mine. The only issue I've had is the turntable inputs don't work and I only discovered this when I tried running it directly through the Marantz and not through the inbuilt pre amp. At this point I'd had it for over a year !

D

Deleted member 108165

Personally I've never had any problems with any of the Marantz gear I've owned, or still own.

Reactions: Al ears
I was looking at getting a Marantz PM6006 to go with my Dali Spektor 2 and Project Debut Carbon Espirit but after reading reviews on various websites, some UK Marantz amps have had issues such as losing channels and humming coming from them etc.
I admit that a lot of things is probably caused by equipment not being put together properly or not compatible but do Marantz actually have issues?
Am I ok to get a PM6006 or is there a better amp that will go well with gear that’s around the £300 mark.
Maybe the Denon PMA800NE might appeal.

gasolin

I wouldn't worry about reliability of Marantz gear. However, to my taste, Marantz doesn't go well with Dali. Not to mention I don't like PM6006. Many on here that have it and rate it.

What music do you listen to and is vinyl your only source? Also would you consider going second hand?

What the hell Marantz PM6005/6006 goes perfectly fine with dali zensor 1/3 and the other models, just ask blacksabbath25 or read the review of the PM6005

insider9

What the hell Marantz PM6005/6006 goes perfectly fine with dali zensor 1/3 and the other models, just ask blacksabbath25 or read the review of the PM6005
I don't care about the review. I can write a review of my own which will say the opposite. Are you saying my ears are inferior just because I don't work for WHF? It's my opinion and it's a horrendous combo in my view.

What's the point of having a forum if we all going to agree? I respect your and blacksabbath's view just don't agree with it in this instance. I also don't rate QAcoustics 20xx and 30xx which I know many rate and they've been review highly. Oh and Zensor 1 is the only Dali speaker I don't like.

gasolin

The zensor 1 has little to much highs and lack a little midbass which mnakes it a litteh bright and thin sounding and can easily have a fattguing sound, im shure many likes tem with the right amp for it's open and wide soundstage

712Dalifig3.jpg

Last edited:

Gray

I don't get any hum from mine. The only issue I've had is the turntable inputs don't work and I only discovered this when I tried running it directly through the Marantz and not through the inbuilt pre amp. At this point I'd had it for over a year !
Those of us that have used them, have found Marantz phono stages to be good so it's a shame yours doesn't work.
This issue recently cropped up here https://www.avforums.com/threads/marantz-pm6005-phono-input-question.2268411/ In this case it's a (seconhand) 6005, not sure if he's resolved the issue yet, but it's possible that yours has the same cause .
Certainly at least worth a look inside yours (if you feel up to it).

Gray

Good though my Marantz PM66KI amp was, it was necessary for me to repair it, so I can't say it was trouble-free. Whilst inside, I could see where it was 'built to a price'.
Like my PM66, the PM6006 is a budget product. I wouldn't be shocked to find they were cutting a few corners cost wise these days, but Marantz won't be worse than others.

For your budget, the 6006 is as good as you can get. I’d go for it, you get a guarantee, if you are unsure about reliability, you could always pay for an extended warranty. £27.95 for extra 5 years at richer sounds.
They come with a 2 year warranty which should be enough - how many people actually own a 6005/6006 model for 5 years? I’d bet that a majority of owners upgrade or swap out for a newer model after a year or two.

insider9

The zensor 1 has little to much highs and lack a little midbass which mnakes it a litteh bright and thin sounding and can easily have a fattguing sound, im shure many likes tem with the right amp for it's open and wide soundstage

712Dalifig3.jpg
This speaker was made for back surround applications not for hifi. With midrange recessed like that it's useless for most music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts