MANAFACTURER/FORMAT

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI AGAIN FOLKS,SILLY ONE THIS,WHICH MANAFACTURERS ARE BACKING WHICH FORMAT?I.E-I KNOW BLU-RAY IS BACKED BY SAMSUNG,SONY,PANASONIC,ETC&HD-DVD IS BACKED BY TOSHIBA AND ONKYO,ARE THESE THE ONLY COMPANIES BEHIND EACH ONE OR ARE THERE OTHERS WAITING IN THE WINGS TO SEE WHICH FORMAT EVENTUALLY TAKES OFF?THANKS AGAIN.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
HD DVD is basically Toshiba at the moment, the Onkyo player being 'closely based' on a Toshiba model. Perhaps of more significance in the long run will be support from the computer industry: Apple is backing Blu-ray, and Microsoft HD DVD.

Yes, there are plenty of companies playing the waiting game.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew's right - i've spoken to several manufacturers who are keeping well out of the way.

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Perhaps of more significance in the long run will be support from the computer industry: Apple is backing Blu-ray, and Microsoft HD DVD.

[/quote]

Good point. Interestingly though (well it is to me, sad geek-ess that I am), it's not a straight Mac vs PC split. Microsoft and Intel support HD DVD, but their largest single PC customer - Dell - is backing Blu-ray.

Just another example of the HD format madness...

It's a real shame, as the movies look (and sound) bloomin' marvellous!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
The film companies will have quite an influence too wont they? I think i saw a blu ray ad recently that had Warner Bros. backing the format. It had a pic of Pirates of the caribean (?) i think.

A

Anonymous

I agree Claire it`s an interesting point,still don`t know why they can`t just decide on one format(hopefully hd-dvd in my case due to my Toshiba player).Do you know where the format war came from,when I first heard of it a while ago now,in a paper I think,I`m sure it said it`s because the different companies couldn`t decide whether to call it hd-dvd or blu-ray and so they went with what they wanted it named i.e Sony to blu-ray,Toshiba to hd-dvd,although I know Sony pretty much invented the whole blu-ray thing.Can anyone else shed any light on this?I reckon this year will see some interesting developments in the hd area.Thanks Claire and happy new year.P.s,are you married?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts