Mains versus Battery

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I've just had a thought (really).

If an unfiltered/unbalanced (i.e. 'normal' ) mains supply can degrade the sound of a system due to RFI, spikes, 'noise' etc, then:

Should the sound from, say,
an iPod be better if it is running off the battery, rather than off the normal mains?
emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

Spikes on an iPod are magnified to an unquantifiable magnitude compared with normal hifi equipment. Best avoided.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I think so, but it will work when you plug it in even if the battery's totally exhausted.

Hmmm, so does it sound different if it's charging from a PC? Does this potentially open up a whole new can of worms, involving USB or Firewire cables, as well as mains cables?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I think the next big can of worms will be how we 'improve' the quality of air in order to reduce spikes.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There is that old story of the Japanese audiophile running his system off 96 1.5V D-cell batteries. Not rechargables, but good old throwaway alkalines.

Which he spent every Friday night soldering in place ready for that weekend's listening session.

idc

What would produce the cleanest/purest/best supply; the mains treated through filters/silencers/conditioners etc, or a mains fed battery supply?

My gut feeling is that a mains fed battery will provide the cleanest supply as I presume it outputs the same current/voltage all the time. But I do not know of a battery pack which you plug into the mains and it has sockets on it to plug your kit into. Anyone more knowledgeable than I (most of you) as to why.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts