Mains Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

My current set-up is a Denon AVR 2805, Kef 2005.2 speakers (Kube 2), Panasonic DMR-EX768 DVD/HDD recorder, Sony BDPS760B Blu-Ray, and Sky HD.

I have just ordered a Lindy 6 way mains block, and was wondering what mains cables you thought I should get to upgrade the ones that came with the equipement.

Regards,

Darren

I don't believe "upgraded" mains cables make any difference apart from lightening your pocket. But if you believe in its improvements, I'm sure some members who swear by its improved performance will give their suggestions.

A

Anonymous

I to think upgrading power cables is one of the worst value upgrades you can do. I think it is for people who have run out of other things to upgrade on their set up but still feel the need to try to get that bit more out of it, i think it must be a man thing.
I have upgraded many cables on my set up i got most of them as i needed longer length cables or they were cheap, the only time i noticed any difference is when i swapped a merlin cable to a chord cable on my lcd tv i just found the picture looked more balanced with the merlin cable. But saying that i don't recall the standard cable giving a bad picture but it is to short to try again now.

A

Anonymous

ive never tried an aftermarket mains cable , so cant speak from experience , but imo , the large manufacturers , sony , panasonic etc would not supply an inferior mains lead with their products , why would they ? why would they need to ? because they cant afford to supply one thats fit for purpose ? erm , i doubt that ..

its because they dont need to , the ones they supply as standard are perfectly adequate imo..

dont be sucked into parting with your money ...on mains cables , its gonna go down the toilet..

A

Anonymous

I think manufacturers fit the most cost effective cables to there products. It like saying why doesn't a basic ford focus come with the same size wheels as a sports model, & people still upgrade them. It all comes down to budget, but like i said before any gains seem to nowhere reflect the cost of the cables in my eyes

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Darren Cotter:

Hi All,

My current set-up is a Denon AVR 2805, Kef 2005.2 speakers (Kube 2), Panasonic DMR-EX768 DVD/HDD recorder, Sony BDPS760B Blu-Ray, and Sky HD.

I have just ordered a Lindy 6 way mains block, and was wondering what mains cables you thought I should get to upgrade the ones that came with the equipement.

Regards,

Darren

The Lindy block is all you need, anything extra is a waste of money.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Despite what people think, the tacima mains conditioner / rf filter 6 way extension lead certainly made a difference to my equipment.

It cleaned up noise on my SD Freeview, made the amp & blu rays sound & look clearer. Though i dont know that any other mains leads would improve the performance.

I know it worked in my case cos even the wife even commented on it sounding & looking better. I have just ordered another Tacima for other equipment, its pretty much the same as the Lindy you ordered, i got mine from Clicky £23.49 & free delivery, bargain in my book!!!

I know its not compatible with all Hi Fi or A/V equipment but i would recommend trying, its also surge protector.

Regards ...

Darren Cotter:
Hi All,

Regards,

Darren

Hi Darren Cotter

FWIW i have yet to hear an after market mains cable make a positive difference which has been in production over the last few years. I would advise you to use the standard mains supplied with your components as i believe these will allow to components to breathe.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

f1only:

Despite what people think, the tacima mains conditioner / rf filter certainly made a difference to my equipment.

It cleaned up noise on my SD Freeview, made the amp & blu rays sound & look clearer. Though i dont know that any other mains leads would improve the performance.

I know it worked in my case cos even the wife even commented on it sounding & looking better. I have just ordered another Tacima for other equipment, its pretty much the same as the Lindy you ordered, i got mine from Clicky £23.49 & free delivery bargain in my book!!!

I know its not compatible with all Hi Fi or A/V equipment but i would recommend trying its also surge protector.

Regards ...

Actually, the OP is asking about mains cable upgrade, not mains conditioner.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:I would advise you to use the standard mains supplied with your components as i believe these will allow to components to breathe.
Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

How does that work then? The manufacturers of all equipment just happen to have 'the best mains cable' already fitted to allow the components to breathe? if your suggesting there are differences then you must also admit that each and every components thats affected by mains cables will only have one cable that benefits it 'the most'? And the chances of 'that' cable being the same one that comes with the unit to be extremely slim to my mind.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chudleighpaul:Save your money mate. These cables are pure snake oil!

If it was pure snake oil then people wouldnt be able to measure differences. They can, and they have...............

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:f1only:

Despite what people think, the tacima mains conditioner / rf filter certainly made a difference to my equipment.

I know it worked in my case cos even the wife even commented on it sounding & looking better. I have just ordered another Tacima for other equipment, its pretty much the same as the Lindy you ordered, i got mine from Clicky £23.49 & free delivery bargain in my book!!!

I know its not compatible with all Hi Fi or A/V equipment but i would recommend trying its also surge protector.

Regards ...

Actually, the OP is asking about mains cable upgrade, not mains conditioner.

I read that & i did say that "i dont know that any other mains leads would improve performance".

I posted about the Tacima as the OP mentioned he had just ordered the Lindy 6 way mains block, which i believe to be similar or the same, correct me if i'm wrong.

Regards ... Paul

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I would say mains cables make a major difference, why, well about 8 years ago I remember what HIFI and HIFI choice reviewing Russ Andrews yellow power mains cable and they all said it made a major difference to the sound, so I thought I would give it ago, what have I got to lose, I remember it being £65 for 5 meters extension ( not that cheap now) when I got it I placed it in my system and boy what a change, the sound is sweeter and the rubbish on the top end add all gone and voices seemed more real, so I tried it on my cheap Philips CD player on a pair of headphones and again major difference, I still use that cable today on my extension block with all classic power cables.

Plus after that I fitted my own ring mains and placed 6 earth spikes in my back garden to my system and that brought major differences.

So to the OP, yes they do make a difference and to me the best ones are the woven ones that reject RFI.

There's a very interesting ABX blind test (You listen to product "A", then to product "B", then you are presented with "X", which is either "A" or "B" and you indicate which product you think it is) which was done for power cords in Oakland, California, & the results were no better than flipping a coin. Details of the study can be googled.

This thread may be useful: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/403769.aspx

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Mains cables make a difference in my experience. I wouldn't go spending loads on budget kit, but as a little upgrade on expensive kit they are well worth it.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:

There's a very interesting ABX blind test (You listen to product "A", then to product "B", then you are presented with "X", which is either "A" or "B" and you indicate which product you think it is) which was done for power cords in Oakland, California, & the results were no better than flipping a coin. Details of the study can be googled.

Yes, I seen that a bit ago, I trust my own judgement
emotion-5.gif
as I will be the one listening to my system. But on a other note if you think that was all true and say you believed that cables made no difference, then what about all the reviews in what hifi ranging from speaker to mains cables, so are we not to trust them?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:

What were the cords? Any braided ones in there? Was there RFI present at the demonstration or was it already cleared of RFI? Was there any EMI? Were the cords new or used?

These are just some of the reasons ive found that could give random results in blind testing

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Surely it is all relative, otherwise you are saying a cheap system, lets say for Example £100 with bell wire for cabe, sounds as good as one costing 10x the amount with decent cables, mains filter & a set of good speakers !!!!

This of course is NOT TRUE, othewise you would not have bought the kit you have, it is better quality, looks & sounds better. End of story

Talking of which going back to what the OP was talking about, why would our dear friends at WHAT HiFi written this review on Clicky a mains cable if there was nothing in it?

A

Anonymous

Perceived "improvement" is always almost by definition going to be difficult if not impossible to quantify. Just because something can be measured (in it has to be said a very technically dubious test) doesn't mean it can be heard.

But hey if you spend your money on a mains cable (or anything else) and you perceive it to be an cost effective "improvement" good luck to you.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
2oldnslow:

Perceived "improvement" is always almost by definition going to be difficult if not impossible to quantify. Just because something can be measured (in it has to be said a very technically dubious test) doesn't mean it can be heard.

What 'test' do you speak of there?

A

Anonymous

I was referring to the tests Russ Andrews commissioned Ben Duncan to undertake in response to the ASA ruling on some of his advertised claims.

But as I said if someone purchases a mains cable and perceives that it delivers an improvement good luck to them. I've no problem with that.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
2oldnslow:

I was referring to the tests Russ Andrews commissioned Ben Duncan to undertake in response to the ASA ruling on some of his advertised claims.

But as I said if someone purchases a mains cable and perceives that it delivers an improvement good luck to them. I've no problem with that.

Whats 'dubious' about the tests Duncan did? Are you saying they were falsified in some way?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts