Mains cables ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
pauln said:
I generate my own electricity from solar panels. The AC produced has a much cleaner wave form than what you get off the national grid. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to pay ridiculous amounts of money for audiophile solar panels - any type will do the job just fine.

Undoubtedly but someone will probably bring out an "audio-grade" inverter!

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all,just a thought if mr poster of this forum tries out his 40/80 pound cable and reports back and says that it did make an improvement in his system,will he be talking rubbish as well, or for the none believer,could there be something in this mains cable debate that people do hear or see a diffrence,and if it dose'nt work he should give up or try a diffrent cable, i think a mains cable is as important part in the hifi chain and should not be ignored.cheers david

A

Anonymous

relocated said:
andyjm said:
Anyone searching for an example of expectation bias need look no further than this thread.

In a past life I designed audio recording equipment for a well known national broadcaster. At no stage did we entertain any cable tomfoolery, except to specify current carrying capability for mains cables, and basic LCR parameters for signal and speaker leads.

In spite of this, we still managed to build studios which arguably produced some of the best recordings of the 20th century. Just remarkable how we managed to get by without the benefit of modern marketing.....

Absolutely, there was someone earlier that seemed to think paying £80 for 2 bottles of wine was an excellent way of spending that sum. Now that really is 'expectation bias'. :O

Don't knock the oenophiles; we really do know what we're talking about (and can prove it through blind tastings).

Life's too short to listen to bad hifi; life's too short to drink bad wine.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
abacus said:
Make sure you do the test blind, (So that you have no idea which cable is in use)

+1

Do a blind comparison. If you can see which cable is being used then it's all to easy to convince yourself that you can hear a difference when there isn't really any difference.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
pauln said:
I generate my own electricity from solar panels. The AC produced has a much cleaner wave form than what you get off the national grid. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to pay ridiculous amounts of money for audiophile solar panels - any type will do the job just fine.

I generate my own electricity by running an audiophile grade electric generator that burns methane produced from cow manure.

The improvement to the sound quality of any hifi system running on this hifi quality electricity has to be herd to be believed. :shifty:

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
pauln said:

I generate my own electricity by running an hifi quality gas generator that only burns methane produced from cow manure.

The improvement to the sound quality of any hifi system running on this audiophile grade electric has to be herd to be believed. :shifty:

I've heard that using cow manure gives muddy bass.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't you think that this sorry tail has been milked enough. The OP must be on the horns of a dilemma; and the best way for him to get prhoof, is to listen for himself. Anything else is a mooot point......so cut the bull :silenced: :shifty:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matthewgbell said:
relocated said:
andyjm said:
Anyone searching for an example of expectation bias need look no further than this thread.

In a past life I designed audio recording equipment for a well known national broadcaster. At no stage did we entertain any cable tomfoolery, except to specify current carrying capability for mains cables, and basic LCR parameters for signal and speaker leads.

In spite of this, we still managed to build studios which arguably produced some of the best recordings of the 20th century. Just remarkable how we managed to get by without the benefit of modern marketing.....

Absolutely, there was someone earlier that seemed to think paying £80 for 2 bottles of wine was an excellent way of spending that sum. Now that really is 'expectation bias'. :O

Don't knock the oenophiles; we really do know what we're talking about (and can prove it through blind tastings).

Absolutely correct hic!

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting that most people would accept that optical illusions occur but some people find aural illusions impossible to accept - "I've heard it so it must be true".

Chris

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
MattSPL said:
If you don't believe mains cables work, or won't even try them, that's your loss.

wireworlds cables are unlike other power cables in design. They have been designed to act as a filter, much like a passive mains filter in an extension block. Mains electricity operates at 50/60hz, the wireworld cables have been made to filter out noise in this frequency range. So, although wireworld are unique in their design, there's your scientific explanation.

Is this an April Fool post? If not I assume you meant they are designed to filter out noise outside this frequency range, if not they would filter out the power itself.
smiley-laughing.gif

However, as I've pointed out endlessly, there will be a bloody great electrolytic capacitor in your equipment's power supply that will filter out any high frequency noise that gets to it so, whilst I'm in favour of having the cleanest possible power coming in, it's hard to see that removing something in a cable, assuming it works, that will be removed a couple of inches later in any case is going to make any difference.

Chris

PS Interesting that their website declines to say what "scientific principles" make the cables work.

smiley-laughing.gif
Yes sorry, i meant they filter out all other frequencies. But this was not an April fools by the way :)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
+1

I use the wireworld sliver cable from my mains coniditioner to my amp.. I have tried so many but none IMHO are anywere near as good. It does not kill dynamics, actually increases it. No sign of brightness at all... expensive.. but wireworld mains cables work..

hang on, you already have a mains conitioner, yet still use a wireworld mains cable? Does that mean your mains conditioner is utter bobbins that you need the cable to make it sound better? If you have a half decent mains conditioner, then you shouldn't need the cable as tehre would be nothing for the cable to actually do.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Don't you think that this sorry tail has been milked enough. The OP must be on the horns of a dilemma; and the best way for him to get prhoof, is to listen for himself. Anything else is a mooot point......so cut the bull :silenced: :shifty:

Excellent, I think you may have trumped the previous offerings. :clap:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, there was someone earlier that seemed to think paying £80 for 2 bottles of wine was an excellent way of spending that sum. Now that really is 'expectation bias'.
shock.png

----------------------------------------

I rather suspect[as has been proved time and time again] that there are significantly more people who need the price of the bottle to fully appreciate wine complexity. There is absolutely no need to pay £40 a pop to get excellent wine and there are plenty that I wouldn't give tuppence for.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Native_bon said:
+1

I use the wireworld sliver cable from my mains coniditioner to my amp.. I have tried so many but none IMHO are anywere near as good. It does not kill dynamics, actually increases it. No sign of brightness at all... expensive.. but wireworld mains cables work..

hang on, you already have a mains conitioner, yet still use a wireworld mains cable? Does that mean your mains conditioner is utter bobbins that you need the cable to make it sound better? If you have a half decent mains conditioner, then you shouldn't need the cable as tehre would be nothing for the cable to actually do.

Yes I do.. Cause it even sounds better!!... If i made add i have also used mains cables than made my system sound bad to my ears.. I mean very bad. Thin & bright sounding.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:

Yes I do.. Cause it even sounds better!!... If i made add i have also used mains cables than made my system sound bad to my ears.. I mean very bad. Thin & bright sounding.

[/quote]

I'd be sending that mains conditioner back if I were you, sounds like it's doing sod all.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
;)

cheeseboy said:
Native_bon said:

I'd be sending that mains conditioner back if I were you, sounds like it's doing sod all.

[/quote]

Its my money dude. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts