MA RS6 tweeter

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I scratched one of the gold dome tweeters on my RS6s last night…. I had decided to follow the advice given here and by WHF to remove the tweeter grills (uugh!) - very unlike me as I am very careful... A part of the scratch is about 1.5 - 2mm long and has some (indentation) depth to it but there is another 3-4mm that goes on as just a surface scratch.

I tried to hooking up both speakers to the same posts and couldn’t consistently tell if there is an audible difference - sometimes it seemed like it was there and sometimes not… :(

MA quoted £50 (inc VAT and delivery) for a replacement (for a peace of mind) - seems very high! I have seen lots of forums saying these shouldn't cost more that £15-25. Particularly I saw a US based customer saying his replacement RS6 tweeter cost 'just a few dollars' - £50 at the time would have made over $100 and hardly 'a few dollars'.

Any advice on whether to get it replaced and where to get one for less? Has anyone scratched/indented metal dome tweeters ?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Unless the surround/coil is damaged I doubt you will hear any difference with a small dent like that, thing is, will you be able to live with it - knowing it's there, staring at you!! :)

Seriously though, you should be fine, can always pop the covers back on too if you don't want to see it.ÿ

A

Anonymous

thanks for your input! No surround/coil damage and the indentation is purely on the gold cone and close to the edge.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Think you'll be ok then, I've had metal mid/bass drivers with fairly hefty dents that sound and measure perfectly fine - the only time you get a real problem is if it alters the shape at the edge of the cone/dome and pinches into the surround, altering movement of the driver. If a dome tweeter is fully pushed-in in the middle you may well hear it, I would expect yours to be absolutely fine judging by what you've said!ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Anything you do to a MA silver range tweeter should be an improvement ...

Seriously though, a small indent or surface scratch should not make a difference. If you can not hear it, why worry about it?

PS. Does anybody have problems posting here? Certain things like an apostrophe seem to do odd things at the moment.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:PS. Does anybody have problems posting here? Certain things like an apostrophe seem to do odd things at the moment.

Well let's see there was an apostrophe back there.

Nope. Looks fine.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
drummerman:PS. Does anybody have problems posting here? Certain things like an apostrophe seem to do odd things at the moment.

Well let's see there was an apostrophe back there.

Nope. Looks fine.

... ' ... you're right. Temp' blip. Great this apostroph'ing. Love it 'n could'nt do w'out it.

A

Anonymous

Apostrophe's alright.

Hope the tweeter is too!

(thanks for the replies- Jim & drummerman)

A

Anonymous

can any one tell me were i can get a pair of these at the best price in rosewood ?

A

Anonymous

Ebay or sevenoaks ex demo (look on their site) would be your best shot

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts