MA RS6 Owners...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I use an Arcam A85 with mine, and I think they complement each other rather well.

brock_boogie, I think you could do an awful lot worse than check out Sevenoaks Brighton, as they have Arcam A70's for £349, and A90's for £499, with free delivery.

Purely my own opinion, but I'd rather have a half price Arcam A90 for £499, than a full price NAD or CA at £400 or so.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="brock_boogie"]
Congrats on the purchase, smo! Let us know how they sound when you set them up at home!

[/quote]

Thanks brock_boogie,

Hope they sound well... (we'll see how do they perform with the av amp...), but we'll have to wait until next week, maybe Wednesday.

About the run in periods everybody says of this speakers...

How is it? I mean, do will I get reasonably good sound of them at the very beginning or do they will sound bad.

Never had speakers that need run-in periods
emotion-10.gif
... I don't know what to expect.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I wouldnt go for an A90 at all

Im a huge fan of Arcam and rarely veer away from them but i think they went wrong with this amp. Like the C/A 840, bags of power but again, very clinical sounding and bass-light. Not what you'd expect from this level of amp.

Just because the NAD is only c£400 new doesnt mean its a bad amp. With the amps ive tested (upto £2k) the NAD came in the top 4! It really is that good and as alot of reviewers have said, it belies its price for the sound it produces. If it were a blind test, i think alot of folks would have it down as a more expensive amp.

As i said abopve, if youre happy with 2nd hand i would always consider the Arcam FMJ A32 amp ?(which in Ebay can be bought new soemtimes at c£700) or the Cyrus 6/8v2 amps.

As ive said in a previous post, im not a fan of Naim and dont think that Naim would do the M/A RS6's justice.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mine sounded great straight from the box. I did leave them playing for the first couple of weeks day and night at low level (obviously). You won't turn your music on and think oh no! And the sound will improve when you change to a stereo amp so when you first play a cd, it's the worse your RS6s are ever going to sound!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]or the Cyrus 6/8v2 amps. [/quote]

Great amplifiers but not with MA.

[/quote]

That's a good point...

So which are the suitable amps for MA?

I could already tell on behalf of Gerrard that Cambrige is one of them
emotion-4.gif
. Some more please....
emotion-11.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="smo"]

[/quote]

... pass ... but pushed really hard I have heard them sound ok with musical fidelity x-series stuff.

Edit. ... which incidentally I suggested earlier in this thread
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="smo"][quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]or the Cyrus 6/8v2 amps. [/quote]

Great amplifiers but not with MA.

[/quote]

That's a good point...

I could already tell on behalf of Gerrard that Cambrige is one of them
emotion-4.gif
. Some more please....
emotion-11.gif

[/quote]
Music Fidelity would be a good match. Any of them. Arcam another. Valve amps would be good, as would a hybrid from Unison Research, such as the Unico P. What else...um...Densen Beat might work well, Sugden, Primare, Rega are lush and would be nice (underrated amps I suspect!)...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Iggle, out of interest, I know you had RS1s and were happy until you upgraded. Did you ever audition the RS6s?[/quote]
I did. In fact, my first breath back into hifi for some years was an audition of the RA03 & Kandy amps, Kandy CDP and RS6s. Once the Kandy amp was swapped for the Rotel things were great! I briefly put the RS8s on too but found the bass way over the top. When taking the room into consideration I decided upon the RS1s and a sub instead of the RS6s. This was also because I found some CDs sounded very boomy and overpowering on the RS6s and I'm really a stand mount follower at heart. Since hearing the RS6s very recently I've decided that they're too boomy for me full-stop. It's just a taste thing as I think they have a lot of magic to offer!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I will still stick to NAD and Arcam being the best choices then across to Rokasn and Cyrus (but careful CDP matching is needed as the M/A's treble can be forward)

The Primare amps are good as are Rotel.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I will still stick to NAD and Arcam being the best choices then across to Rokasn and Cyrus (but careful CDP matching is needed as the M/A's treble can be forward)

The Primare amps are good as are Rotel.
[/quote]
How could I forget NAD...how very dare me. From experience I'd avoid Roksan and Cyrus on MA unless you have a CD player that is half asleep. Rotel is border line IMO.

Level of room damping plays a really big role in all of this though.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I wouldnt go for an A90 at all

Im a huge fan of Arcam and rarely veer away from them but i think they went wrong with this amp. Like the C/A 840, bags of power but again, very clinical sounding and bass-light. Not what you'd expect from this level of amp. [/quote]
Completely the opposite to what I found, to be fair. I didn't really think it bass light, and that's something I'm sensitive to. I found it a wee bit better than my A85.
Just because the NAD is only c£400 new doesnt mean its a bad amp. With the amps ive tested (upto £2k) the NAD came in the top 4! It really is that good and as alot of reviewers have said, it belies its price for the sound it produces. If it were a blind test, i think alot of folks would have it down as a more expensive amp.
I didn't say it was a bad amp, I said I'd rather pay £499 for the A90 than £400 for the Nad. Personal preference and all that ? Regardless of what any of us say about the A90, I think that brock_boogie is missing a trick if he doesn't at least audition one, given that it's such a good deal at the mo.

A

Anonymous

Anyone think the Exposure 2010S or Creek Evo would compliment the RS6's?

A

Anonymous

Do you think the Evo/RS6 combo will be powerful enough to fill a large living-room?

A

Anonymous

From my experience, CA840A worked well, Primare I21 didn't, old Arcam Alpha 7 surpisingly good, CA640A not good, CA740A ok, Denon not great. Got hold of a 2nd hand (as new, just over £400) Musical Fidelity A3.5 and best yet - I love it - very much recommended after my 'journey' with my RS6's!

Had a bit of a soft spot for the CA840A but reliability was an issue, but worried I wouldn't better it after returning it, but the MF certainly did.

A

Anonymous

Brock:
Thought you may want to know that the Nait is still in the offing. I've gotten my Jolida now so it's sitting at Electronic Depot. Did he offer you a good price?

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I've just got the RS6's. Still running in but sound nice so far at moderate volume. Using a Cyrus 5 amp which I believe is about the same as the current Cyrus 6 model.

A

Anonymous

Hey Ray...I just received an e-mail from the store. They're asking $1100. I'm wondering if I should hold out for the newer model with the 1/8" jack in the front? Or maybe go for an Exposure 2010S or Creek Evo.

I won't be buying anything until I've auditioned the three amps with the Neats.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="brock_boogie"]
Hey Ray...I just received an e-mail from the store. They're asking $1100. I'm wondering if I should hold out for the newer model with the 1/8" jack in the front? Or maybe go for an Exposure 2010S or Creek Evo.

I won't be buying anything until I've auditioned the three amps with the Neats.
[/quote]Tough call. I'm a huge fan of all three manufacturers.

A

Anonymous

Well,

I finally got my RS8 (black) yesterday. The sound they produce is wonderful, sweet, precise (specially the bass), and I'm running the with a Yamaha AV receiver. I don't know how better they can sound when they run in, but I wouldn't mind if they perform like they do now forever.

After unpacking them and mounting the plints I was happy to see they where as compact as I expected them to be (you never now how big is something until you place them). Build quality is just 'fine' for me. Something I didn't like was that I thought the frames holding the transducers were of some kind metallic material (aluminum) but they are or seem plastic to me. In my opinion, a considerable part of the price of their bigger
brothers (Gold series) is used to improve that: better wood with
better finish, metal pieces where plastic in Silver series, etc. Apart from that, they look stunning without the grilles...

Other things that surprised me was that the manual says that they are 2 and 1/2 way speaker. I though it was a 3 way design... (which now after having listened to them is something I don't really care).

Summarizing it all: very happy with the purchase. Very, very, very.... good sound they produce!!

Now I have to start chasing a proper amp for them, as I thing they can give me a lot more 'pleasure' if driven with the right hardware.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts