MA RS6 Owners...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Which amp do you use to drive your RS6's?

I'm considering the RS6 for budget reasons & have looked at Naim 5i, Exposure 2010S, Creek Evo & NAD C355bee.

There's quite a contingent of RS6 owners on the forum so I thought I'd see what you've chosen to drive them.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Sorry Brock_boogie,
emotion-10.gif

I'm considering the RS8, so if you don't mind this post could be useful for me as well. I haven't listened to the amps you spot up there with the RS6, but I do listened to the Primare i21 with them, which sounded very good for me.

I think some users are using the RS6 with the Cambridge Audio 840A... Maybe it's an option you could add to your list (to make it even more complicated)

Cheers!

Salvador.

A

Anonymous

Well I have the GR30's, but I'd recommend audiolab to go with MA, their neutral sound will not push the brightness of the MA's into the open so much, make it just sound like more detail;).

A

Anonymous

Another amp option? That's becoming crazy... (well, it's easier for me as not all the models spotted are available here where I live).

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I would highly recommend either the NAD C352 or the C355BEE. I have auditioned both with my RS6s and my mates RS8s and they we both superb. we used my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and his NAD C542 CDP.

I don't know much about the Creek. the Primare amp I auditioned at Sevenoaks was very good but I felt the treble was too forward for my liking. The Naim I don't like at all, I don't like 'their' sound.

If you're fine with decent 2nd hand separates then I can highly recommend either the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps, possibly partnered with their matching power amps and a decent CDP like the Alpha 9, Arcam CD72/92 or the CD192.

All will give you bags of detail along with a wide soundstage, well controlled deep bass, smooth and articulate/well timed midrange and sweet/crisp treble.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm using a Naim 102/180 pre/power. Bit overkill some may say considering my sources, but I picked them up second hand so were (just) affordable. Sounds fantastic to my ears, but some people may opine that they are a little bright...

A

Anonymous

I drive my RS8's with my Onyko 875 (on the Direct setting), have found it to be very good with music as well. Detailed without being harsh, good timing. Have most of my CD collection put onto the Sony DVD 970 hard drive linked up with Audioquest cables which sounds identical to playing it on the Meridian! Amazing result

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I currently have the CA 840A and it's wonderful. Before that it was the Creek Evo. I loved the Evo and the only reason I upgraded was that it doesn't allow you to use it as a power amp when linking with an AV receiver's pre out. After switching though, I'm glad - the 840A is a beast.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've heard them sound good with Musical Fidelity's X-Series. The only time I've heard them sound good. Brought a bit of warmth/fullness to what otherwise is a bleached out sound with annoying treble. My opinion, others surely disagree.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... I've had them for a quite a while. Survived several changes amongst others AVI and Usher but I never got rid of them and always enjoy going back.

A

Anonymous

I'd love to hear the 130's sometime...do you rate them as highly as the standmounts, drummerman?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
One of the best speakers at that price. Oddly enough they (proac) also sound good with Arcam (which I dont usually like to much). So Hughes123, if you read this perhaps you can try some with your FMJ.

A

Anonymous

Just to go on with this interesting post...

How do MonitorAudio RS6 compares with B&W 684 and Monitor Audio RS8 with B&W 683?

Heard the 683 and liked their sound a lot, but the smaller footprint of the MA's (both) ... Have already the B&W (both new 6xx series) been rated in the magazine?

Can anybody spot the pros and cons of MA RS8 against B&W 683?

Andrew and Clare are invited :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Having auditioned all the above speakers the winners for me were the M/A RS6s and the B&W 683's

The RS6's gave a better, well timed bass response over the B&W 684's and the midrange was alot smoother with the RS6's compared the 684's. The treble was slightly more forward on the RS6's but due to my system, that didnt bother me.

With regards to the RS8's and the B&W 683s: The RS8's were/are very good, smooth detailed midrange and good deep bass BUT sometimes i felt that became a little wooley when pushed whereas the 683's took it on the chin and spat it back at you with avengance :)

The treble on both was very similar, crisp and clear but the RS8's, like the RS6's, was a little forward at times. The 683's were alot smoother across the board and they love to be driven hard so if youve got a good bi-amp system or a good integrated and like to have your music loud but precise, then id go for the 683's.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Having auditioned all the above speakers the winners for me were the M/A RS6s and the B&W 683's

The RS6's gave a better, well timed bass response over the B&W 684's and the midrange was alot smoother with the RS6's compared the 684's. The treble was slightly more forward on the RS6's but due to my system, that didnt bother me.

With regards to the RS8's and the B&W 683s: The RS8's were/are very good, smooth detailed midrange and good deep bass BUT sometimes i felt that became a little wooley when pushed whereas the 683's took it on the chin and spat it back at you with avengance :)

The treble on both was very similar, crisp and clear but the RS8's, like the RS6's, was a little forward at times. The 683's were alot smoother across the board and they love to be driven hard so if youve got a good bi-amp system or a good integrated and like to have your music loud but precise, then id go for the 683's.

[/quote]

Thank you very much for your answer. Very well explained and helpful point of view.

As you, I liked much more the sound of the RS6 than the B&W684 but didn't have the chance to compare the RS8 with the 683. I liked the sound of the 683 a lot: big scale and very detailed even if played loud. My amp selection even I haven't auditioned it is going to be Cambridge Audio 840Av2. I didn't have the chance to have an audition of it, but I think it's a price/quality winner and has a lot of features and options (I'm still not psychologically prepared to spend a 1000+ ? in an gadget having just an input selector and a volume control. I need more buttons to play with
emotion-4.gif
) .

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Salvador.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Salvador - you have made a good choice! :O)[/quote]

Thanks
emotion-2.gif

I'm not an hi-fi expert (yet) and I don't have experience enough with other gadgets to properly compare, so I guess that the CA 840Av2 and B&W683 or MA RS8 will give me terrific sound.

Just another question: would be the 640C or 740C CDPlayers good enough for the 840A amp? (don't fancy spending 1200? euros on a CD player).

Cheers.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm not a fan of CA separates and feel that with that budget you could get a better amp, maybe look at the Arcam FMJ A32 or for less, the NAD C355BEE.

I find that the although C/A amp has bags of power, i feel that the sound is too clinical sometimes.

You could also look at the Cyrus 6v2 or 8v2 integrated amps, both very VERY good with the B&W speakers and you can get them for very good prices on Ebay (2nd hand obviously)

As for CDP's i would also look at the Rega Apollo, Cyrus 6/8 CDPs and the Arcam CD72, 73 or CD92 (if you can get one at the right price).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As always, everyone has their opinions. I will be honest and say that I have have not listened to Arcam stuff but the sound that I experience with my equipment is anything but clinical. Accurate, yes and believable sounds too. I played a Sade album recently and it was beautiful. The bass is very tight and fast and Dan, we agree on one thing here, there is plenty power. The 740c will be the better match but I would seek out some more money and go for the 840c if you could. I will eventually. Thaiman, who has listened to many many players over the years has called it the best CDP under £1000 on more than one occasion.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gerrard and Dan.

I appreciate your help.

Sade is one of my favorite artist. If you say it sounded beautiful I'll take your word. Now I'm fully convinced
emotion-4.gif

I'll think about making the effort to reach to the 840C.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Good to see this thread still alive, even though there hasn't been many posts regarding the original subject.

I'm not a massive fan of Cambridge Audio, and tend to agree with Dan with his suggestions of the Arcam FMJ A32 & NAD C355bee.

I like the NAD sound and, for the price, I'd buy a NAD amp over Cambridge Audio everytime.

I think my favourite integrateds are Naim 5i and Exposure 2010S. I like the pace, rhythm and timing of those amps and am trying to find a speaker in the same price range of the MA RS6. I was hoping that someone would mention the Naim or Exposure in this thread, but I'm not so sure that they'd match well anyways. Perhaps I should also look at the B&W 683, too...but right now I'm in love with the Neat Motive 2 (just not in the budget at the moment).

A

Anonymous

Hi brock_boogie,

Finally, I ordered the MA RS8 yesterday... It's been hard to decide, but it has been funny too.

I chose them over the B&W 683 because their smaller footprint and size. I do really liked a lot the sound of the 683 and sure it's a very good option too. B&W is allways a sure selection because of its reliability and because they are not music dependent.

Can not help you with the amp because here where I live the dealer doesn't work with all the brands. They all have their products distributed all arround the country (Spain), but some of the doesn't behave as they should when talking about good customer service. And that's why the dealer has finished the bussiness with some of them.

As I've decided the speakers now, I'll now chase the amp... Fewer options as I said above... (Cambridge, Rotel, Arcam, Primare, ...) We'll see. But until I can get the new amp I'll have to run the RS8 with my Yamaha AV Reciever.

A

Anonymous

Congrats on the purchase, smo! Let us know how they sound when you set them up at home!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts