MA GX300 vs KEF R900

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello

Has anyone heard both of these floorstanders? If so how do they compare to each other?

If not has anyone heard either one of them and if so what is your opinion?

Many thanks

Can't comment on the two you mention, but when I picked up the DAC last Thursday they had a pair of PMC Twenty 23s rigged to a Yamaha receiver and they sounded excellent.

TBH, you shouldn't need to spend that sort of money on your amp and CDP.

Try and track down som Totem Arros. Smaller than the RX8s but really do pack a punch. Should be wonderful match with the Arcams, a lot cheaper than the makes you've mentioned and the Twenty 23s.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I not looking to change my speakers at the moment and am very happy with them. I only ask because I plan to add in a p38 in the future and will then probably upgrade the speakers. When the time comes I'd like a floorstander that can match or beat the RX8s impressive bass weight and scale while bringing even more refinement across the rest of the frequencies. I have read one review from each of the speakers mentioned and just wondered if people's views were similar. Obviously when the time comes I will demo all options but at the moment it's just a bit of research.

Thanks for your reply

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you like the Monitor Audio Rx8's then the obvious choice is the GX. I think they will do to the sound what you want them to in terms of the upgrade

Get a good demo of them first obviously - by that I mean in a decent room - they will want some space.

I havent heard the GX300's but have heard the GX100's a lot - very good - imaging is excellent, I have also heard the PL300 which are awesome and the GX is going to be a good % of the PL in terms of performance so if you can demo either you will get a good idea.

I demo'd the RX6 and really didnt like them compared to the GX50 & GX100.

That might have been because of the setup to a certain degree but there was a big step up in my demo going to the GX.

Might not help, but might at same time

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Kef R Series is an outstanding range and imo, the best mid-priced speakers Kef have ever produced.......so give the R900 a listen. They may need a fair bit of space, but both models below are excellent as well.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Either of these will work great with your A38 (especially if you're adding another), but as mentioned, I would also try the PMC Twenty series too. All very different sounding, so an audition is essential. The GX300 will give you more of what you're used to, but is quite a jump up in terms of quality and capability. Much more refined, a bit smoother, but still not too smooth, despite the ribbon tweeter. I find the GX range the most balanced range that MA have produced so far.

The KEFs will be smoother, and better integrated across the frequency range, in my opinion, and sound cleaner due to very little cabinet colouration. The PMC's will be a little leaner sounding, reminding me more of a sealed cabinet in presentation. They do allow quite an insight into the music though (the only way I can think of describing it), being able to hear layers even in music that isn't particularly well recorded.

But as always, its subjective, so you may find different results :)

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

The reason for the upgrade will be for stereo improvement however home cinema will still be used through the speakers. I will change the center channel to match the chosen speakers but was wondering if I would be ok to keep my RSW12 and RXFX or would these need upgrading? (In particular if Kef or PMC speakers were my choice for the other 3)

I listen to music:movies 80:20 and have always been happy with the cinema side of things but love the improvements that can be had for stereo playback.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Also was wondering about centre channels. I know ideally that the drivers should be the same size as the left and right channels but in the case of the R900s they do not make one. Also with the GX300 I would not be able to fit the GX350c in my rack and so would have to get the GX150c. So how much does difference in the size of the drivers effect the coherence across the front 3 channels?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- Your Sub will be fine with either system.

- Your rears will be a better match for MA. If you go for Kef/PMC, whether you change may depend on 2 things:

1. If they annoy you being slightly different (they may not, so it's worth trying)

2. Whether you can get reasonable money for yours

- The centre channel designed to go with the range will be fine....you would be better going for the better model, if available (eg. Kef R600C).

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
See if you can demo some Rega RS7's, thats what I would be auditioning if I had that sort of money, although they are a bit under-budget.

Maybe see if you can get some Ex-Demo Kef Reference, the 203/2 should be on budget IIRC.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks cno very helpful comments. I guess when the time comes the surrounds could wait if I felt the need to change them. I have seen another forum member who uses platinum range for the front 3 and has apex for rears so hopefully they will not need changing.

I will have look at those rega speakers. Any idea if they would suit my arcam stuff sound wise?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ben K. said:
I will have look at those rega speakers. Any idea if they would suit my arcam stuff sound wise?

IMO. The Rega speakers are less versatile with regards to a mixture of 2 channel and AV.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Ben K. said:
Thanks cno very helpful comments. I guess when the time comes the surrounds could wait if I felt the need to change them. I have seen another forum member who uses platinum range for the front 3 and has apex for rears so hopefully they will not need changing.

Not heard the rega speakers (R1, R3 and R7) with any Arcam. Have had an Arcam AVR200 which is the closest I have had but with other speakers.

Dont see why It would not work, as I say, worth an audtion, IMO the R7 and RS7 are often overlooked for some reason, not sure why. They are great value and a lot of speaker for the money. The 1, 3 and 5 get a lot of press but none for the 7.

Rega do the RS-Vox centre which matches with the same RR-125 mid-bass (mid range in the RS7) and the new RS tweeter.

To be fair, I have not heard any of the current RS range, my experience is from owning the R1, R3 and R7 in the previous range.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Speaking to my local dealer earlier and he has suggested a few more for my list that he can get in.

Neat Elite SX, Neat momentum 4i, pmc twenty 24, pmc FB1i.

Now just to save up a bit more money and talk the other half round.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts