Loving music and loving hifi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Duncan

davedotco said:
John Duncan said:
The_Lhc said:
I can understand that, I bought a BMX a few years back, I almost never ride it, I bought it because I've always loved the design of them, I'd be quite happy to have a large barn with dozens of them hanging from the rafters like artworks (if I had daft amounts of money of course)

Already been done (click for bigger)

(Cold Dark Matter: An Exploded View - Cornelia Parker)

How did she do that, I thought dark matter was supposed to be invisible?

Don't like much modern art as a recent visit to the Tate Modern confirmed, but that looks wonderful.

Agreed, it's amazing. She blew up a garden shed btw :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
Perhaps I read too much into things but your quote-

"There are a lot more music lovers enjoying music on cheapo earphones - do they like music less than us who are vastly outnumbered by them? I think not."

-implies, to me at least, that those choosing to use better quality equipment are somehow misguided, we don't apparantly enjoy the music any more so why are we bothering? Reading that line again, in isolation, I guess I could be wrong but to me the whole tone of your posts tends to convey that message.

In isolation I certainly don't get that message, it simply appears to say that there's more people listen on "poor" equipment than there are those of us that don't. That seems pretty obvious when you look at the sales figures. It doesn't appear to suggest that either group are in the wrong for their choice of listening equipment.

I think the misunderstanding of the passage in bold arises from a slippage between "enjoy" and "like". The first statement concerning "cheapo headphones" is, as Lhc says, unexceptionable. The second statement is also fine by me, so long as the verb "like" isn't confused with the verb "enjoy" in the first statement. In other words, I take Busb to be saying not that music is just as enjoyable through cheapo headphones as through better ones, but that people who use cheapo headphones may have an equally strong preference ("like") for music in general as people who use expensive kit. This doesn't of course exclude the possibility that better quality kit provides more enjoyment.

Matt

Language eh, causes more disagreements than even religion or politics....... :hand:

I agree that in isolation that sentence can be taken in different ways, even saying so in my post (not quoted by Lhc), but 'in context' I thought it quite disparaging to those who choose to spend on better equipment.

It is this lack 'of empathy' for another persons interests that I find quite discouraging, you do not have to share those interests but to be so dismissive of them on a public forum that is supposedly about such interests is disappointing.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed music when I listened to music on a mono record player[Ferguson I think, the speaker was in the lid].
I enjoyed music on a cheap stereo music centre. Then I purchased a BSR 8 track machine and played it through the music centre. I noticed a significant difference in quality and was on the slippery slope.
There then followed @ 40 years of using music to evaluate hifi equipment and tweaks as much of the time as to just listening and enjoying the music for its own sake. When I made changes then for a time my enjoyment was heightened but then I would hear problems that 'needed attending to', so more tweaks and ultimately different gear.
Then 30 months ago I purchased certain equipment, whose name I shall not mention lest we sink to needless sniping, and my musical world changed dramatically for the good.
I don't think about the equipment for one second and just luxuriate in the astonishingly wonderful and enveloping music.
I have found my nirvana and that is my music.

:)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
relocated said:
I enjoyed music when I listened to music on a mono record player[Ferguson I think, the speaker was in the lid]. I enjoyed music on a cheap stereo music centre. Then I purchased a BSR 8 track machine and played it through the music centre. I noticed a significant difference in quality and was on the slippery slope. There then followed @ 40 years of using music to evaluate hifi equipment and tweaks as much of the time as to just listening and enjoying the music for its own sake. When I made changes then for a time my enjoyment was heightened but then I would hear problems that 'needed attending to', so more tweaks and ultimately different gear. Then 30 months ago I purchased certain equipment, whose name I shall not mention lest we sink to needless sniping, and my musical world changed dramatically for the good. I don't think about the equipment for one second and just luxuriate in the astonishingly wonderful and enveloping music. I have found my nirvana and that is my music. :)

A familiar tale not limited to owners of equipment spawned by the devil. There are many people who 'downsize' to sensible inexpensive systems and forget about the hi-fi.

To be that is not really the point, that such people loose interest in hi-fi and effectively give it up is fair enough, no problems with that at all.

My point is that it is perfectly possible to 'downsize' exactly as you describe and retain an interest in hi-fi as a separate but related hobby.

I know that having an interest in hi-fi is not cool and this has been the case for a long time, but I don't have a problem with it, in fact I very much enjoy it but I keep the two things separate, primarily as to not fall into the trap of listening to the hi-fi when I should be listening to the music.

Mrs DDC has a take on this, she reckons that, even for a man, my ability to 'multi task' is appalling but I reply that I simply have a 'linear' mind such that I can concentrate fully on one activity (setting up my hi-fi, say) then stop and do something else (play some music, perhaps) with equal concentration.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
To be that is not really the point, that such people loose interest in hi-fi and effectively give it up is fair enough, no problems with that at all.

My point is that it is perfectly possible to 'downsize' exactly as you describe and retain an interest in hi-fi as a separate but related hobby.

I really hope you're not telling relocated that his AVI systems aren't "hi-fi".

Not because I disagree with you (or not), it's just that this has been quite a good thread up until now. Be a shame to see it go to pot...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:

I really hope you're not telling relocated that his AVI systems aren't "hi-fi".

Not because I disagree with you (or not), it's just that this has been quite a good thread up until now. Be a shame to see it go to pot...

Not at all, though as always these things are up for discussion....... :twisted:

I'm still not quite sure you are getting the point though, it appeared that relocated found 'convential' hi-fi a bit of a faff and found that by simplyfing (to whatever system) he could just listen to the music and forget about the hi-fi. No problem with that at all.

What I can not get my head around is the implication, (not from relocated in this instance) that dispensing with the hi-fi somehow makes you superior, (it's all about the music) to those who retain an interest in it.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Music is wonderful and I love it , in fact I don't think I could live without it .
Hifi is wonderful and I love it , but I could live without it as long as I could still listen to music . :)

John Duncan

davedotco said:
What I can not get my head around is the implication, (not from relocated in this instance) that dispensing with the hi-fi somehow makes you superior, (it's all about the music) to those who retain an interest in it.

Well if anybody thinks that, they can EDITED off :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:

Vould you like some names for ze list........? (in awful fake Nazi accent)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
visionary said:
Electro said:
Music is wonderful and I love it , in fact I don't think I could live without it . Hifi is wonderful and I love it , but I could live without it as long as I could still listen to music . :)

+1, well said

Personally I would like to dispense with recorded music altogether, if I had the money, time and energy I would love to see everything live.

But since I dont................

John Duncan

davedotco said:
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:

I have been a member here for 5 Years 34 Weeks. I know who they are.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:

I have been a member here for 5 Years 34 Weeks. I know who they are.

You're a bit of a noob, then :p

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Really? All this? Crikey! Wow! This should be nominated for the WHFS&V soap awards :grin:

I really would only observe a thread like this one out of idle curioisty....once it deteriorates I'm usually off. But I am drinking a hot coffee, and the wind is blowing fresh air into the room and life feels a bit better than it did this morning after I woke with a slightly heavier head than normal... :cheers:

Honestly, does it really matter a jot who thinks this and that about this thing or that thing or even why they think like they do about this and that etc.:grin: as long as people are courteous? That's the only rule surely? People seem to spend rather a lot of time choosing to be offended about quite unimportant things rather than choosing not to be and moving on. I've only been on these forums for a short while, and yes, there are 'unpleasant tones' and 'unsavoury opinions' in threads on these forums, but it is as it ever was, and in life - outside - it's pretty much the same, except I really don't get on my high horse with every peanut head who feels it is their job to offend me in some way...well not just so that I feel that my ego has been appeased at any rate..because it would be a fleeting feeling for sure. Bad life strategy I have found as well. As soon as you feel you've successfully 'put one ****** in their place' you'll be faced with a thousand more just as able and determined...I'd say that was a rather Sisyphean approach to life if ever there was one!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Mrs DDC has a take on this, she reckons that, even for a man, my ability to 'multi task' is appalling but I reply that I simply have a 'linear' mind such that I can concentrate fully on one activity (setting up my hi-fi, say) then stop and do something else (play some music, perhaps) with equal concentration.

God bless women and the sexist things they come out with :)

(All) women might multitask, but they never finish anything because they want everything to be perfectly done, so they either never start or eventually give up.

As opposed to men, who have a "Yep...that'll do! Right, what's my next mission?" attitude.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Personally I would like to dispense with recorded music altogether, if I had the money, time and energy I would love to see everything live.

Agreed about live music which is why I go to at least one live event a month often more . I am very lucky that I live relatively close to many superb venues with quality performers and good acoustics .

But I do have to say that I get nearly as much pleasure from good music on my HiFi system , putting on a good Cd is like a mini personal performance !

It's a great life :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
davedotco said:

Agreed about live music which is why I go to at least one live event a month often more . I am very lucky that I live relatively close to many superb venues with quality performers and good acoustics .

But I do have to say that I get nearly as much pleasure from good music on my HiFi system , putting on a good Cd is like a mini personal performance !

It's a great life :)

See, it's that 'nearly' word again.

Some things are just impossible to even try and duplicate but on occasion some things come remarkably close, come chamber music, small scale Jazz, lieder perhaps or other small scale works often do quite well.

My love of live music surfaces in another area too, whenever possible I listen to live recordings, particularly classical, I find the musicians invariably 'give' more in front of a real audience. Rock and roll, to me at least, is always more interesting live, recently I have been playing a series of live country/country rock albums recorded 'Live at Billy Bob's Texas', the self styled 'Biggest ***** tonk in the world' in the now regenerated stockyard area of Fort Worth.

I have been so impressed that we are looking at a possible stopover in DFW on a trip we are planning early next year. Flying nearly 5000 miles to see a rock and roll band, why not...........?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
relocated said:
I enjoyed music when I listened to music on a mono record player[Ferguson I think, the speaker was in the lid]. I enjoyed music on a cheap stereo music centre. Then I purchased a BSR 8 track machine and played it through the music centre. I noticed a significant difference in quality and was on the slippery slope. There then followed @ 40 years of using music to evaluate hifi equipment and tweaks as much of the time as to just listening and enjoying the music for its own sake. When I made changes then for a time my enjoyment was heightened but then I would hear problems that 'needed attending to', so more tweaks and ultimately different gear. Then 30 months ago I purchased certain equipment, whose name I shall not mention lest we sink to needless sniping, and my musical world changed dramatically for the good. I don't think about the equipment for one second and just luxuriate in the astonishingly wonderful and enveloping music. I have found my nirvana and that is my music. :)

A familiar tale not limited to owners of equipment spawned by the devil. There are many people who 'downsize' to sensible inexpensive systems and forget about the hi-fi.

I know that having an interest in hi-fi is not cool and this has been the case for a long time, but I don't have a problem with it, in fact I very much enjoy it but I keep the two things separate, primarily as to not fall into the trap of listening to the hi-fi when I should be listening to the music.

Dave,

I don't understand how you have decided that I have lost interest in hifi from anything I have said.

I am still interested in hifi, I'm on here and another forum. I also keep up to date via other websites and media.

However, when I listen to music, that is all I am doing, the equipment has 'disappeared', it is only about the music and nothing to do with the gear. That, for me, is vastly different to the previous 40 years.

I trust that I have not confused you further?

matthewpiano

davedotco said:
visionary said:
Electro said:
Music is wonderful and I love it , in fact I don't think I could live without it . Hifi is wonderful and I love it , but I could live without it as long as I could still listen to music . :)

+1, well said

Me too. Nothing comes close to live music - one of the reasons we've booked to see 3 of our favourite bands between now and Christmas.

However, at least with recordings, once musicians die we can still enjoy their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts