looking for some advice for a home cinema set.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I want to invest in a home cinema set and i really could use some advice on this.

I now have a ps3 and a panasonic lcd tv model TX37LZD70F.

I was looking to buy a yamaha RX-V663 amplifier (because it can handle the new blu ray audio formats) with a basic 5.1 set of yamaha speakers.

I would like to buy a set with small speakers so they do not take up too much space.

My budget is something like 630£.

I was also looking at the new sony STR-DG820 that was just reviewed here.

So my question is should i go with the yamaha amplifier or should i buy something else?

If i have a budget like this should i spent more for a descent speaker set and buy a cheaper amplifier?

Can you give me some advice on what to buy?

Should i go for the amplifier and save some money to buy descent speakers?

A

Anonymous

Is there anyone who can give me some advice pls.

Since i am new in this i can really use it.

Thx

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'd wait until new amps have been released by a few more manufacturers which can deal with the HD sound formats from your PS3 - then buy the best you can afford while keeping in mind that you will still require a set of speakers.

In the meantime keep saving.

If you want something now, the Sony is a 5* product - I can't see a review of a Yamaha 663 you mention so can't compare the two according to spec sheets. The Sony is around £300 so this would leave you around £300 for speakers and £60 for cables (presuming you have stands or some way of wallmounting the speakers) KEF KHT1005 is a good starting point.

If you can give these an audition but also listen to the advice given by a local audio shop as they can be friends! If you can audition, take some of your own favourite movies/music with you.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Belguim look at the Jamo A102 HCS from Denmark about £180 in the UK both amps spec look very close try and demo them, hope this helps Gary

A

Anonymous

Thank you already for the advises.

I finally made up my mind and i am goiing for a yamaha RX-V 663 with a set of KEF 3005 SE speakers.
emotion-1.gif

Do you have any last thoughts or advises pls let me know?

And a final question.

I have a ps3 so will i hear all the new HD sound formats with the correct settings?

Grtz.

A

Anonymous

azertyguy:

I finally made up my mind and i am goiing for a yamaha RX-V 663 with a set of KEF 3005 SE speakers.
emotion-1.gif

Thats a radical change in budget !!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
azertyguy:I have a ps3 so will i hear all the new HD sound formats with the correct settings?
From what I can see on the US website, the RX-V663 supports 7.1 LPCM through HDMI so yes, you can get the new HD formats by setting the PS3 to Linear PCM mode over HDMI.

A

Anonymous

yes it is a radical change of budget.

When i was searching the reviews i always found that the cheaper speaker sets where good for movies and not for music.

Since i wanted to do both i upped my budget after confincing my better half that this was the way to go.

so now i think that i have chosen for a good universal audio system to lisen to music and to watch movies with.

Thx for the comments and the advices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts