Looking for an amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've also posted this on AVforums so if you've read it there, apologies!

I'm looking for an amp which must be less than 320mm in depth (give or take 10mm) after adding plugs etc. It's a shelf-restriction, don't ask
C:UsersNicholasAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip11clip_image001.gif

Other info:

· It must have a remote.

· Budget = upto £400. I'm upgrading from an Arcam Alpha 1(!) which neither has a remote or the power I'd like.

NB: No speakers yet but looking at BX2s with interest. Need to be front-ported, sit on similar sized shelves with a 370mm max height. Dimensions of BX2s are: 350 x 185 x 255 mm. But that's another story/thread!

So far I've found:

1) NAD 326BEE: 435 x 100 x 286mm) which will just about fit, I reckon. I have no particular experience of NAD ampsthough the plastic front and looks put me off a little.
2) NAD C352 (Second hand): 435 x 100 x 290mm

Can anyone add to this list easily? Really appreciate it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I immediately thought Rega or an older Creek, but then they don't have the remote the OP says is a must-have. Hmmm, tricky one – Cambridge Audio Sonata DR30?

Andrew Everard said:
Yes, I immediately thought Rega or an older Creek, but then they don't have the remote the OP says is a must-have. Hmmm, tricky one – Cambridge Audio Sonata DR30?

Also the OP mentioned MA BX2 speakers, so unsure of the synergy between the two... Perhaps if the OP uses bare wires at the back (he maybe already) might be a viable option. That might give him an extra half inch or thereabouts.

Edit - just noticed, plugs are being used. Bare wire may help.

A

Anonymous

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-product-type/597

You could get an original Naim Nait 5 from tomtomaudio for £395, but that will need Din-Phono adaptors which add to the depth unless you use cables which go from din to phono. Whatever you do, avoid the C326, its really not a great amp.

There's also the MF kit that was tubular, such as the X-A1 integrated (315mm).

Two great amps right there :).

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for help.

Am considering Arcam FMJ A18. ANy thoguhts on partnering them with BX2? (or similar?)

hander said:
Thanks all for help.

Am considering Arcam FMJ A18. ANy thoguhts on partnering them with BX2? (or similar?)

Should be a really good match. Not heard the BX range but Arcam and Monitor Audio is generally a cracking match.

Also look at Creek Evo 2 - similar money to the Arcam, pretty much on par tonally, but far punchier, and like Arcam, a very good combo.

Good luck

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

1 Size. THink Creek Evo 2 is too deep - see original question. Literature says is 15.5 inches (39+ cm) deep.

2 Prices.

I can see the A18 for £479

I can't see the Creek Evo 2 under £600...

Or have I misunderstood something?

matthewpiano

What you need is a Creek 4330R. Very compact in terms of depth and height, and the R version has a basic remote for controlling volume. Brilliant sound - I find it to be much better than the Arcam A18 that I had before, particularly in terms of its ability to drive and control a wide range of speakers properly. They are a bit rare, and watch out for the non-remote 4330 if the remote is so important to you, but I bought mine for £180 and I'm pretty sure I'd have to spend huge amounts to really improve on it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hander said:
1 Size. THink Creek Evo 2 is too deep - see original question. Literature says is 15.5 inches (39+ cm) deep.

2 Prices.

I can see the A18 for £479

I can't see the Creek Evo 2 under £600...

Indeed: as matthewpiano says above, I was thinking rather older Creek than an Evo 2.

A

Anonymous

Monstrous said:
http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-product-type/597

You could get an original Naim Nait 5 from tomtomaudio for £395, but that will need Din-Phono adaptors which add to the depth unless you use cables which go from din to phono. Whatever you do, avoid the C326, its really not a great amp.

There's also the MF kit that was tubular, such as the X-A1 integrated (315mm).

Two great amps right there :).

Absolutely nothing wrong with the NAD C326BEE; it's a good amp and well reviewed

May not be to your taste but a lot of other people like it etc...
smiley-undecided.gif

However I do agree that the Musical Fidelity XA range of amps would be worth considering (i.e. XA100 or XA200 if you can find them)

What about a Cyrus 8VS2? Still a cracking amp

A

Anonymous

@matthewpiano: Thanks. But was really looking an amp that it's capable to switch source remotely too.

hifilover1979 said:
What about a Cyrus 8VS2? Still a cracking amp

All cyruses considered but they would need to placed left to right in the system, which is too inelegant a solution!

A

Anonymous

Too conclude: I got an Arcam FMJ A18 in the end. A year old for £260!

Perfect fit.

Thanks for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS