Looking for amp to go with Triangle Borea Br08

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
What do you guys think of the Borea Br08 itself? Is it a good choice in terms of value for money? The reviews are excellent but that doesn't say much perse, as the audio pro a36 reviews were excellent too and those speakers were quite underwhelming. There were many moments where i wasn't sure if the sound came from the tv or from the A36 speakers lol..

Bought those(A36) mainly because of Oluv's (youtube reviewer) praise for them.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I presume you have this amp, RoA. You've recommended it in several threads. What is it would you say that you like about it? I'm sure you'll say something along the lines of it not adding anything or taking anything away from what is fed into it. But to me it went further than that to the point of sounding analytical and clinical. I think the clue is in the name: Audio LAB... like it was developed in a lab setting rather than with people listening and reacting emotionally to music playing on it. Bit harsh maybe, but that's my take on it.

Yes and the H95.

Nothing like your impressions.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gray

What do you guys think of the Borea Br08 itself?
Unfortunately (and you probably know this) the opinions of anyone here are no more valid or relevant to you than the reviews you've already seen.

I saw a fantastic review of the BR08.
However, I once made the drastic mistake, without first listening 😱, of buying a pair of speakers that the very same reviewer declared a best buy. They weren't. Don't know how he could have come to that conclusion. I returned them.
You and only you can decide what's right for you.

robdmarsh

Or this one on eBay which had no bids at all starting at £730 so the guy relisted it. I don't know if it has a reserve but if you could get for around this price it would be a pretty amazing deal.

Tinman1952

Or this one on eBay which had no bids at all starting at £730 so the guy relisted it. I don't know if it has a reserve but if you could get for around this price it would be a pretty amazing deal.
Blimey that's a steal! 😀

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Ah... I thought I'd talked to you before.
I'm curious, how long do you think you have to run the Audiolab before it sounds at its best?
And also, if you could only have one between these three, which would it be?

10 minutes and would I only have one, Hegel.

Thing is, without direct comparison I enjoy all of them and soon forget about the differences.

I could happily just use the Audiolab and be happy.

Reactions: doifeellucky

robdmarsh

10 minutes, right. I was wondering if I hadn't given it a fair hearing after about 24 hours!;) You're definitely not a believer of solid state burn in.

Ok, that seals it for me, boy was that amplifier (the 6000A) not for me!
Strange how our brains and ears are so different. Perhaps it's a music taste thing as well,

Where's the OP? He's disappeared. I think we've scared him off.

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
10 minutes, right. I was wondering if I hadn't given it a fair hearing after about 24 hours!;) You're definitely not a believer of solid state burn in.

Ok, that seals it for me, boy was that amplifier (the 6000A) not for me!
Strange how our brains and ears are so different. Perhaps it's a music taste thing as well,

Where's the OP? He's disappeared. I think we've scared him off.

If you didn't like the Audiolab you'd likely not like the Hegel/s.

On the other hand, the Arcam would probably be more your thing.

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
Ok so i went with the Audiolab 6000a for now. Speakers took longer than expected to be delivered because they were out of stock and had to come in from France.

I've been listening to this speaker/amp combo for maybe 15 hours total now, spread over 6-7 days.

My small review:

It sounds good, BUT only if the recording is good. If you listen to everyday music then 90+% of the recordings are just average-bad. And on the triangle's they sound like you're playing them on a kitchen radio. Flat'ish. Nothing special. It lacks life or depth or "courage" if you know what i mean..

BUT, if you play a (very) good recording like Dave Grusin "Discovered Again" album then it sounds like the man himself is performing in your own living room.

But then there is another problem... My ears start to hurt/feel fatigued/feel pressure when i listen too long to (especially) high quality sound music... I don't know, maybe too much treble? It doesn't sound like it's TOO much... but i can't listen for more than 30-45 min. without taking a break.

I connected the amp to the speakers and via optical cable the amp is connected to the smart tv where i have the tidal app and play the music from.

Am i doing something wrong? Again, speakers sound great, but only if the source is great, otherwise they are definately NOT better than the cheap audio pro a36's i had before this. The audio pro's actually sounded BETTER on low-mid volumes and on not so great recordings too.

And here is another funny thing.... The Harman Kardon Go+Play 2 sounds better too in the same way the A36 does. That's a bluetooth speaker costing about €220 when i bought it years ago. Although it's definately worth more imo.

Well, just in case i don't get any more replies, i hope this was at least of some help to anyone reading this who's in my situation.

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
Oh and btw, i'm using this speaker cable:

qed performance xt25. Bought it for about €75 with banana plugs on it and 2x2 meters length.

Think it's a 2.5mm cable if that even matters...

Tinman1952

Ok so i went with the Audiolab 6000a for now. Speakers took longer than expected to be delivered because they were out of stock and had to come in from France.

I've been listening to this speaker/amp combo for maybe 15 hours total now, spread over 6-7 days.

My small review:

It sounds good, BUT only if the recording is good. If you listen to everyday music then 90+% of the recordings are just average-bad. And on the triangle's they sound like you're playing them on a kitchen radio. Flat'ish. Nothing special. It lacks life or depth or "courage" if you know what i mean..

BUT, if you play a (very) good recording like Dave Grusin "Discovered Again" album then it sounds like the man himself is performing in your own living room.

But then there is another problem... My ears start to hurt/feel fatigued/feel pressure when i listen too long to (especially) high quality sound music... I don't know, maybe too much treble? It doesn't sound like it's TOO much... but i can't listen for more than 30-45 min. without taking a break.

I connected the amp to the speakers and via optical cable the amp is connected to the smart tv where i have the tidal app and play the music from.

Am i doing something wrong? Again, speakers sound great, but only if the source is great, otherwise they are definately NOT better than the cheap audio pro a36's i had before this. The audio pro's actually sounded BETTER on low-mid volumes and on not so great recordings too.

And here is another funny thing.... The Harman Kardon Go+Play 2 sounds better too in the same way the A36 does. That's a bluetooth speaker costing about €220 when i bought it years ago. Although it's definately worth more imo.

Well, just in case i don't get any more replies, i hope this was at least of some help to anyone reading this who's in my situation.
Yes that 'listening fatigue' could very well be excessive treble. However I would suggest you need more hours for your speakers to burn in. 15 hours is really not much at all.... 40 hours minimum. Monitor Audio for example suggest 100 hours to burn in their speakers....

Reactions: Bodd

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
Yes that 'listening fatigue' could very well be excessive treble. However I would suggest you need more hours for your speakers to burn in. 15 hours is really not much at all.... 40 hours minimum. Monitor Audio for example suggest 100 hours to burn in their speakers....

Thanks. Do you have to run it on high volume for break in?

I'm gonna try another amp for the treble problem. Maybe one with the ability to turn down treble manually.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts