Looking for a good headphone for my home

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello I want a good headphone for my personal use. I want good quality while listening to music such as trance, drum 'n bass, death metal, deathcore and other stuff. My budget is at most €500 but if so, I want it to have godly comfort and music quality. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they MUST BE comfortable since I am most likely going to use them for about 6-7 hours a day. Annoyingly high bass or bad design is nothing I want to be part of.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
mittfel said:
Hello I want a good headphone for my personal use. I want good quality while listening to music such as trance, drum 'n bass, death metal, deathcore and other stuff. My budget is at most €500 but if so, I want it to have godly comfort and music quality. :) EDIT: I forgot to mention that they MUST BE comfortable since I am most likely going to use them for about 6-7 hours a day. Annoyingly high bass or bad design is nothing I want to be part of.

I looked down my list of 60 or so most recent headphone purchases, thinking that the last thing you would want is a headphone with a sharp or peaky treble. I know when playing tracks by Xilent, those headphones I have with strong treble don't cut it. It just burns my ears, speaking figuratively. The B&W P5 is a good bet. The v-moda M100 has an even better smooth treble, but too strong a bass response (I use bass reduction, and then the bass is also better than the P5). The only other headphones on that list I considered for this reply were the Sennheiser Amperior and Momentum, as possibilities.

Phlegm

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I wish I had the time to listen for 6/7 hours a day!
smiley-smile.gif
Two at best and I feel lucky.

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Phlegm said:
I wish I had the time to listen for 6/7 hours a day!
smiley-smile.gif
Two at best and I feel lucky.
Haha. I'm unemployed at the moment but I will start working in a few months and after that it'll most likely be around 2 hours for me too. :(

quote=dalethorn]

mittfel said:
Hello I want a good headphone for my personal use. I want good quality while listening to music such as trance, drum 'n bass, death metal, deathcore and other stuff. My budget is at most €500 but if so, I want it to have godly comfort and music quality. :) EDIT: I forgot to mention that they MUST BE comfortable since I am most likely going to use them for about 6-7 hours a day. Annoyingly high bass or bad design is nothing I want to be part of.

I looked down my list of 60 or so most recent headphone purchases, thinking that the last thing you would want is a headphone with a sharp or peaky treble. I know when playing tracks by Xilent, those headphones I have with strong treble don't cut it. It just burns my ears, speaking figuratively. The B&W P5 is a good bet. The v-moda M100 has an even better smooth treble, but too strong a bass response (I use bass reduction, and then the bass is also better than the P5). The only other headphones on that list I considered for this reply were the Sennheiser Amperior and Momentum, as possibilities.

[/quote]Firstly the B&W P5 doesn't look very comfortable at all. It looks way too small, and I didn't like the design either. The V-Moda Crossfade M-100 looks really slick though. Been watching this review on them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gd49nLqZY but I don't really understand what he means with the cabel causing noise because it has fabric cabel? Will it reduce the quality and make a noise while listening to music or what?

Didn't fall for Momentum. And the Amperior has this against on a review here on whathifi:
AGAINSTUncomfortable fitPoor finish in areas[/list]

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I like my M100 a lot, but I always advise people to prepare for some bass reduction "just in case", because experience with many users has determined that to be good advice for long-term satisfaction.

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
dalethorn said:
I like my M100 a lot, but I always advise people to prepare for some bass reduction "just in case", because experience with many users has determined that to be good advice for long-term satisfaction.
how do you reduce the bass then? do i have to buy something or is it easily adjusted in a driver?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
mittfel said:
how do you reduce the bass then? do i have to buy something or is it easily adjusted in a driver?

When I use iTunes, I get a more perfect bass with settings as follows:

-2 at 250 hz, -4 at 125 hz, -4 at 64 hz, -2 at 32 hz.

When I use Foobar2000, I use settings as follows:

-1 at 311 hz, -2 at 220 hz, -3 at 156 hz, -4 at 110 hz, -4 at 77 hz, -3 at 55 hz.

When I use iPod/iPad/iPhone, I just click "Bass Reducer" under EQ settings, which works perfectly whether plugging the headphone into the headphone jack, or using an external amp or DAC.

These settings are not intended to be perfect at each frequency, they are an approximation that sounds better than no EQ, but most importantly, since EQ sliders that are far apart from each other can introduce deep, narrow peaks and dips, it's important to use a smooth adjustment that's minimal in scope.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
mittfel said:
Hello I want a good headphone for my personal use. I want good quality while listening to music such as trance, drum 'n bass, death metal, deathcore and other stuff. My budget is at most €500 but if so, I want it to have godly comfort and music quality. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they MUST BE comfortable since I am most likely going to use them for about 6-7 hours a day. Annoyingly high bass or bad design is nothing I want to be part of.

Will you be using them with a headphone amp?

For comfort and versatility with different music genres, I opted for the Beyerdynamic DT880. Other popular options include the AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD600 / HD650.

koroko

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi !

In my opinion, you should choose to buy Grado PS500 headphone which is best for your needs.

I have heard Grado SR325i and really pleased with this. I like rock, drum 'n bass, death metal ....

koroko said:
Hi !

In my opinion, you should choose to buy Grado PS500 headphone which is best for your needs.

I have heard Grado SR325i and really pleased with this. I like rock, drum 'n bass, death metal ....

Grado are a good option but leak sound like a colander. Some are fine with that, others aren't. I dumped mine because I found it far too detailed for my tastes - it crossed the line between sparkly and downright harsh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts