Listening session

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just after thoughts from you guys as I have a demo at my local shop on the 15th and they are letting me loose on a couple or 5 systems. The demo list consists of MF A5 amp and cdp Cyrus pre,power and cd8 Quad 99/909 and matching cdp Denson Beat B110 and matching CDP Sugden A21 al series amp Any thoughts on the above and what i can expect from each of them? Thanks in advance Chris

A

Anonymous

I'd end up taking the Quad home. Superb. Smooth, detailed and powerful. Haven't heard the others. Good luck....

A

Anonymous

Funny enough the guys in the shop said the Quad was a disappointing sound??? I have only read god reviews so i am a little lost to be honest, they also slated the MF combo, forgot to mention they are also sttting up the Roksan Caspian amp and CDP

A

Anonymous

Sounds like they're slating anything that's smooth and warm compared to the others! Problem with comparing that lot is that the brighter stuff will stand out, such as the Cyrus. The Quad and MF require a longer session to appreciate. When you go, ask them to start with the MF, then the Quad and then whatever else. Maybe that way you'll get a better perspective.

A

Anonymous

My thoughts exactly, thing is I trust these guys, they come across well and are always keen to help, home demos and stuff.
II get the impression they dont like manufacturers who produce in China as they slated the MF and some other gear manufactured over there!

A

Anonymous

Try go in without a preference, reading reviews can be nifty for putting stuff on your shortlist, but reading too much will only lead to certain expectations. Don't read in too much, go in with a blank mind and take a friend with you to discuss the various things you've heard.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chris lowe"]Just after thoughts from you guys as I have a demo at my local shop on the 15th and they are letting me loose on a couple or 5 systems.

The demo list consists of
MF A5 amp and cdp
Cyrus pre,power and cd8
Quad 99/909 and matching cdp
Denson Beat B110 and matching CDP
Sugden A21 al series amp

Any thoughts on the above and what i can expect from each of them?

Thanks in advance

Chris[/quote]

I had the Quad 99/909 at home after a demo in the shop.The power amp just stopped working after the 1st 3 songs and was replaced.I then went through 3 cdp's which wouldn't read at least 50% of the disc's I put in them.Neither I nor the retailer were ever given an answer to what the problem had been.

glad it happened anyway as I decided to spend a bit more and got my Primare stuff.

A

Anonymous

has anyone else heard of quality issues with the Quad?

Must say i had issues with my cyrus cd6s, i'm now on my 2nd in 12 months, to date no further issues but it does put me off the cyrus combo a little

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chris lowe"]has anyone else heard of quality issues with the Quad?

Must say i had issues with my cyrus cd6s, i'm now on my 2nd in 12 months, to date no further issues but it does put me off the cyrus combo a little[/quote]
None at all. My mum has had a 405/33 since the late 70's without any issues.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="chris lowe"]has anyone else heard of quality issues with the Quad?

Must say i had issues with my cyrus cd6s, i'm now on my 2nd in 12 months, to date no further issues but it does put me off the cyrus combo a little[/quote]
None at all. My mum has had a 405/33 since the late 70's without any issues.[/quote]

Could be that it was manufactured here then...........

TRENDING THREADS