Listening in the dark

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else prefer listening with the lights off, in the dark?

Music just sounds so much better, with a greater sense of 3D space and intricacy in the soundstage. I presume it's because the brain isn't being distracted by sights, leaving it free to fully appreciate sound!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I would agree.....but I find simply closing my eyes works better, as finding my drink only involves opening them! :shifty:

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
yeah I often listen to The KLF Chillout album in the dark. I even got to the point running around like a lunatic covering up all the led indicators and stand by lights with electrical tape. its amazing how many there are in the average living room!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes I listen in the dark sometimes and as you say it greatly improves the 3D sense of being there and enhances envolvment to an almost Zen like level with some music , but like Cno I usually listen with my eyes closed as it is more practical.

I also sometimes find myself listening with my eyes closed at live music events but when they are open I often see the musicians with their eyes closed whilst playing especially vocalists and bass players :) .

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
stavvy said:
yeah I often listen to The KLF Chillout album in the dark. I even got to the point running around like a lunatic covering up all the led indicators and stand by lights with electrical tape. its amazing how many there are in the average living room!

what an amazing LP

iJoe

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Late night listening is the best. The music seems to be just that little bit more alive. I presume this must be down to less mains noise. Has anyone else noted this?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I like listening to music in my car as i have neighbours although it's usually daylight but now the clocks have gone back, yes i will probably listening to music in my car in the evening when it's dark.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
iJoe said:
Late night listening is the best. The music seems to be just that little bit more alive. I presume this must be down to less mains noise. Has anyone else noted this?

Their is a thread buried somewhere about this.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Goat said:
Does anyone else prefer listening with the lights off, in the dark?

Music just sounds so much better, with a greater sense of 3D space and intricacy in the soundstage. I presume it's because the brain isn't being distracted by sights, leaving it free to fully appreciate sound!

I rarely listen in the dark or with my eyes closed but it does make the music sound much better.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I like listening to music in my car as i have neighbours although it's usually daylight but now the clocks have gone back, yes i will probably listening to music in my car in the evening when it's dark.

Don't skimp on the headlights.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts