Lip Sync delay

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello there,

I’m a newbie and this is my first question - so “hello” everyone!

I wonder if I could pick your collective brains?

I have a slight lip sync delay between my Blu Ray player, Amp and LED TV (this has only recently occurred since updating my TV, as my old Samsung 23” LCD seemed to cope fine). Here is my setup:

LG 42LS570

Sony Blu Ray BSP-185

Cambridge Audio AM10

HDMI out from Sony to LG

Line Out RCA from Sony to Cambridge Audio

When I switch to the BD/DVD input on my Amp, the lip sync delay occurs. The image is behind for only a fraction of a second, but it’s certainly enough to be noticeable and therefore annoying!

I have tried tweaking the audio settings on the Sony but to no avail, as I understand these settings may be void as I believe the Cambridge Audio does not have a Dolby Decoder. Nor is this Amp an AV Receiver:

HDMI: auto DD: Dolby Digital DTS: DTS

BD audio mix to: off

Now, I understand the HDMI cable also carries the audio, so I’m assuming that the delay is occurring because of the Sony outputting dual audio source, in both analogue (to the Amp) and digital (to the TV)?

Would you suggest bypassing the Phono Out on the Sony all together and rely only on the audio from HDMI? My problem there is that the TV only has Optical Out and my amp only Phono In and I don’t want to rely on the TV speakers, nor do I want to bypass the Amp. I’m loathed to use the headphone jack out from the TV in to the Amp, so would the best work around be to buy an Optical to RCA converter? That way I could go Optical out from the TV > RCA Converter > Amp.

Or is there a better way to output audio direct from the Blu Ray in to the Amp?

Thanks in advance for you time.

blackflash52

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
It wont matter what your HDMI settings are as you are not using it for sound. Have you updated the Sony. Your TV should have an AV sync function, maybe this would help, tho since your not connecting the amp direct to the tv maybe not. What audio out options do you have on the sony? If its set to digital disable that for a start

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't updated the Sony yet, but I'll run that and see what happens. My TV does indeed have an AV sync function, but this doesn't really seem to make any difference.

The strange this is, that I get audio playing from both the TV and the speakers via the Amp. There is a delay between the two sources of a few miliseconds (with the Amp lagging behind). I guess this is because the Sony is still outputting audio out via the HDMI to TV, as well as the Amp. I have to mute the TV, which is just odd.

The Audio options on the Sony are:

HDMI: Auto or PCM

BD Audio Mix Settings: On or Off

Dolby Digital: Downmix PCM or Dolby Digital

DTS: Downmix PCM or DTS

blackflash52

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
If you are getting a delay between the player through the TV you def need to update the player. PCM is an anologue sinal converted to digital. I would suggest HDMI:auto BD audio mix:eek:ff, DD and DTS set to Downmix pcm which converts DD5.1 to stereo which is what you're doing. Let me know if this works.

Check the ouput resolution on your blu-ray player matches the TV. Your TV will be 1080p so set the player to that or 1080p/24

blackflash52

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
If you are getting a delay between the player through the TV you def need to update the player. PCM is an anologue sinal converted to digital. I would suggest HDMI:auto BD audio mix:eek:ff, DD and DTS set to Downmix pcm which converts DD5.1 to stereo which is what you're doing. Let me know if this works.

Check the ouput resolution on your blu-ray player matches the TV. Your TV will be 1080p so set the player to that or 1080p/24

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks for the advice. I'll give this a bash tonight and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts