Lip sync - blu ray and Humax HDR

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just purchased new TV (Samsung UE40B7020), av receiver (Denon AVR-1910) and blu ray player (Pioneer BDP320). Already had a Humax freesat HDR.

I am having lip sync problems on both blu ray and the Humax. I have used the Denon ‘Audio Delay’ feature which has made an improvement, but has not resolved the issue.

For blu ray the lip sync varies per disk, whilst for the Humax, lip sync varies per broadcast. I am therefore finding that I have to adjust/readjust each time I change program or disk. This doesn’t seem right, and was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what I may be doing wrong. Alternatively is this something fairly standard when going HD?

For cables I have two 1 metre QED ‘Performance’ HDMIs connecting the blu ray and Humax to the receiver. I then have a 1.5 metre Van Den Hul flat from the receiver to the TV.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the same humax, a pioneer 5090 and adenon 1920 DVD. I have no lip sync issues and I have not had to use any delay.

A

Anonymous

Hi Hammill - thanks for your reply. Interesting that you haven't had any lip sync issues with your setup, which is pretty similar to mine. Any other thoughts? Could the cables have an impact? Faulty piece of kit? I'm a bit stumped on this one.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Strange one - unless someone comes up with an answer, I'd say it's worth connecting the Blu-Ray and the Humax direct to the TV and see if you get any issues there. Although I'm pretty sure the Denon is going to be the cause somewhere, this would at least confirm it. It also allows you to test the HDMI cables and make sure they're working properly.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I had a similar issue, which was that the sound was in sync, but every so often the picture would jump forward a few frames - only just noticeable, but notice it I did!

I assume it was to keep the picture and sound in sync. I eventually cured it by fiddling with the sync settings on the BD player and the amplifier, so it may be worth (if you haven't done so already) trying different combinations.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I sometimes get lip sync issues when I'm watching HD from my Humax FoxSat HDR and listening to audio through the optical connection to my Onkyo. Sometimes it's laughably off. Others it's pretty damn close. But I don't often listen to the Humax through the Onkyo, preferring to use the TV speakers, so it's not really been an issue.

Bluray from the PS3....no sync issues at all.

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone - thanks for the posts.

Been having a play this week with the various settings. I think I've got the Humax sorted - I played around with the Denon 'Audio Delay' feature - now got this set to 155ms delay. Has worked with all broadcasts viewed so far, plus a couple of recordings played back. In the end I have not had to use the Humax's lip sync option.

I'm less confident on the blu ray player. I have the Denon Audio Delay set to 185ms (the Denon goes up to 200ms max), and have kept the Pioneer lip sync to auto. It seems to be ok, but I'm sure every now and then it is slightly out of sync. Problem is, you can look at these too hard, and start to convince yourself that it isn't working properly.

Having said all of this, I've now had my kit for a few days only - the picture quality is really good and I've noticed a real step up in sound from my old trusty Sony STRDB-1080. I need to work on Mrs Baggy123 to get some new surround speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts