HarropMV

Mar 1, 2023
Visit site
My Current set up is

Michi x3
B&W 705s
Linn Sondek with Akito Arm
Ortofon 2m bronze

Looking for recommendations for a phono preamp (really disapointed in the michi phono stage). Not sold on tubes, but might warm the system up a little. The michi is very neutral. Also looking for advice for tonearm cables for the Akito. Thanks! (sorry if this post is redundant with others)

Welcome to the forum.

Phono stages mostly have a ‘flavour’, but we don’t all like the same taste. So that makes recommendations tricky, especially when you don’t mention a budget. Also, do you only need MM or might you upgrade your Linn arm and buy a MC? If it’s your only source, then an upgrade would be worthwhile.

Rega phono preamps are easy to recommend, especially if you’re happy to buy used, as they’re easy to sell on.

The only person I know who’s widely recommended for arm rewiring is johnnie7 (John Nilsen) who runs Audio Origami. He’s always busy though. Otherwise, Cymbiosis the Linn dealer is a world expert on everything forLinn turntables. I’d be looking at getting a better arm, before worrying about the phono stage, tbh.

HarropMV

Mar 1, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Phono stages mostly have a ‘flavour’, but we don’t all like the same taste. So that makes recommendations tricky, especially when you don’t mention a budget. Also, do you only need MM or might you upgrade your Linn arm and buy a MC? If it’s your only source, then an upgrade would be worthwhile.

Rega phono preamps are easy to recommend, especially if you’re happy to buy used, as they’re easy to sell on.

The only person I know who’s widely recommended for arm rewiring is johnnie7 (John Nilsen) who runs Audio Origami. He’s always busy though. Otherwise, Cymbiosis the Linn dealer is a world expert on everything forLinn turntables. I’d be looking at getting a better arm, before worrying about the phono stage, tbh.

Thanks for the help.

In terms of the phono stage, Im around a 2000.00 budget. I think I want to move in the direction of tubes.

Moving up shortly to the ortofon caddenza bronze. Not too familiar with linn, have always owned VPI. Can the akito not handle a MC? bought table as a fun project to upgrade.

Thanks for the help.

In terms of the phono stage, Im around a 2000.00 budget. I think I want to move in the direction of tubes.

Moving up shortly to the ortofon caddenza bronze. Not too familiar with linn, have always owned VPI. Can the akito not handle a MC? bought table as a fun project to upgrade.
The Akito is quite a basic tonearm but, using a cartridge resonance calculator, you can see it is capable of supporting the Cadenza Bronze.

Thanks for the help.

As Al says, it will function ok, but the Akito isn’t really going to do justice to a MC, especially not the Cadenza range.

£2000 for tube phono stage is a bit beyond my familiarity zone, but the EAT Glo series always seem like great engineering and stunning designs to look at. They’re made by a branch of the huge Pro-ject family.

This Petit is about £1500 now.
https://www.europeanaudioteam.com/en/eat-e-glo-petit-wp000097.html

EAT, and parent Pro-ject also have a vast array of turntables, but VPI are very well regarded. They unfortunately suffer the usual import premium in the UK and I’m less sure about their arms without a lot of homework. Do you have an obliging dealer, or are you going alone here?

As a PS. to the above, over five years ago I heard the Cadenza Bronze alongside several other Orofons. I wrote it up here, though note that the sequence of a few posts got a bit scrambled when the forum closed then got reinstated.

Of particular relevance to the current thread is the bit about the stepup transformer used.

Reactions: Al ears

HarropMV

Mar 1, 2023
Visit site
As a PS. to the above, over five years ago I heard the Cadenza Bronze alongside several other Orofons. I wrote it up here, though note that the sequence of a few posts got a bit scrambled when the forum closed then got reinstated.

Of particular relevance to the current thread is the bit about the stepup transformer used.

Wow, great write up. I purchased a tube box s2 and installed the quintet bronze today. Was blown away. Put on Pink Floyd The Wall. I felt like I could tell you the name of each kid in brick in the wall. lol

Reactions: nopiano

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
As Al says, it will function ok, but the Akito isn’t really going to do justice to a MC, especially not the Cadenza range.

£2000 for tube phono stage is a bit beyond my familiarity zone, but the EAT Glo series always seem like great engineering and stunning designs to look at. They’re made by a branch of the huge Pro-ject family.

This Petit is about £1500 now.
https://www.europeanaudioteam.com/en/eat-e-glo-petit-wp000097.html

EAT, and parent Pro-ject also have a vast array of turntables, but VPI are very well regarded. They unfortunately suffer the usual import premium in the UK and I’m less sure about their arms without a lot of homework. Do you have an obliging dealer, or are you going alone here?

From my experience, you HAVE to consider the EAT petit. I had one and it was superb. I only sold it to part finance an upgrade to the GLO S.
I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Edit: In my eagerness to post about the Petit, I missed your previous post.
Happy listening.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts