Buying a new amp (best phono stage?) for MA Bronze BX2

Hi all,

So I bought a Creek CAS4040s1 a few months ago, unfortunately one of the volume pots was damaged and the volume tends to jump between nothing and full blast unless you find the perfect sweet spot on the dial. Apart from this the DIN sockets are a pain and it looks a bit battered although the sound from the phono stage is good, so I am thinking of picking up something else.

I understand that I can probably get 'more' for my money buying second hand however, I sort of feel like I've been bitten by ebay and am now considering just buying new.

Also a major plus for me is that if I buy new I can go into a shop and audition a couple of different things, when buying from ebay you tend to look at some comments from previous owners (which can be somewhat starry eyed and nostaglic) and then take a punt and hope for the best.

Anyway my system is a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 and a Pro-Ject Essential 2, the amp will be primarily used for its phono stage although I put a ChromeCast Audio through it sometimes.

Options I am looking at the moment are, will be going to audition them next week at some point:

Rotel RA-10

Marantz PM6005

Yamaha AS501

Any comments or suggestions (particularly on the phono stages of these units) welcome

K

keeper of the quays

Simon Crompton said:
Hi all,

So I bought a Creek CAS4040s1 a few months ago, unfortunately one of the volume pots was damaged and the volume tends to jump between nothing and full blast unless you find the perfect sweet spot on the dial. Apart from this the DIN sockets are a pain and it looks a bit battered although the sound from the phono stage is good, so I am thinking of picking up something else.

I understand that I can probably get 'more' for my money buying second hand however, I sort of feel like I've been bitten by ebay and am now considering just buying new.

Also a major plus for me is that if I buy new I can go into a shop and audition a couple of different things, when buying from ebay you tend to look at some comments from previous owners (which can be somewhat starry eyed and nostaglic) and then take a punt and hope for the best.

Anyway my system is a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 and a Pro-Ject Essential 2, the amp will be primarily used for its phono stage although I put a ChromeCast Audio through it sometimes.

Options I am looking at the moment are, will be going to audition them next week at some point:

Rotel RA-10

Marantz PM6005

Yamaha AS501

Any comments or suggestions (particularly on the phono stages of these units) welcome

?

?

?

you should be able to use the phono stage of the creek amp through new amp if you want to be bothered with it? Best to get stand alone phono stage..ca 540p or 640 secondhand cheap..theres a twenty quid very basic new one on the internet that seems well considered..

K

keeper of the quays

Simon Crompton said:
What about a separate power and pre amp actually?

https://www.hifix.co.uk/audiolab-mpwr-power-amplifier?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2_23...
cool idea, that's what I have is a power amplifier and pre amplifier..i have a audiolab pre amp (in attic) it's sound is excellent! Most of the things I have bought from eBay are more knocked about than they described but in the whole? Worked! Lol..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If the phono stage is the most important feature then I would start with a stand alone one from the likes of Rega, Project, NAD, MF or Edwards Audio etc. . Separate power supplies and more care and attention to build and design should pay dividend if compared to built-in stages in low priced amplifiers, usually not a priority for the designer (at that price).

That little Audiolab power amp looks like a good deal but it leaves you with the dilemma of a suitable (and cheap) Pre-amplifier.

A matching Audiolab like the M or QDac will take you way over what you have initially planned. There are some lesser known left field alternatives, many made in China but you may compromise the performance of the other links in the chain. I'd do my research.

Still, buying a separate phono stage will give you a wider choice of amplifiers.

Good luck

Is it feasible to expect to build a separates system that will sound as good as and integrated for the 300 quid (ish) budget?

Of the pre amp and the power amp what will affect the sound the most?

If I do build a good combo is it worth spending more than I did on the speakers?

I'm just weighing up options, yes I have been burnt slightly by second hand but I could dip my toe in again for the right piece from the right seller.

Not being able to actually hear before I buy does put me off, will have to speak with the guys at super fi and see if they can get a that audio labs amp in the shop and a couple of pre amps.

I like the idea of separates, sort of fits into my PC builder philosophy of being able to upgrade in modular parts, I just worry that I won't do any better than a good integrated in my budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts