Linn Majik DS - Alternatives? Cables?

TB303

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying the Linn Majik DS as part of a new hifi set up (along with a Classee CAP-2100 amp and B&W CM10 speakers).

All my music is high quality FLACs on a network server.

I listened to the comparable Naim streamer (ND5?) and though the linn was miles away - sound wise and also the app interface is very good.

I wonder if there are any other alternatives at this price range? (£1,800-ish?)

I was intruiged by the CA Stream magic 6 - but couldnt do a home demo with my system...

If going for teh linn, it comes with their own black interconnect cable but the dealer suggested i upgrade to the silver (£210) linn IC - have anyone tried both? is the price difference justified?

Lastly, woudl something like the Chord Hugo + Sonos woudl get me the same functiuonality and better sound?

Please share your thoughts,

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a Linn Majik DS and have Black and Silver cables.

I think the Silver is an improvement.......though you would need to hear this for yourself, so let the dealer demonstrate it for you. You can then put a value on what you hear.

Are you saying the Linn was miles away better, or worse (imo. Linn make the best streamers)?

You are putting together a lovely system.....what other speakers have you heard, as £3k is a great budget?

TB303

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks mate,

I certainly liked the Linn!

Re speakers, I eventually maanged to find a great deal on a pair of sparkling ex-dem CM10's.

I looked at lots of speakers, frankly teh B&W just blow everyone else at that price raneg, IMO, out of the water.

I did consider the Focal Aria series - they were good (but huge, the 948 is TWICE teh size and depth of the CM10) and the Magnaplanar 1.7 which sounded phenomenal but the misses ruled them out... ;-(

Wobn't I be able to get a better £200 IC from a 3rd partty company taht's better than the Linns?

Thanks,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Did you hear the Kef R700s which are (imo) a must audition.......and would save you £1k.

Linn I/Cs work really well with their own gear, and would be my choice up to £200.

Peter Tyson sell them for £180 (new) on Ebay. Second hand ones usually go for between £120 - £150

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/linn-silver

Hi TB303

Use the interconnect supplied or alternatively a basic interconnect. Fwiw, we use basic interconnects supplied with an 80's Midi system and those bought from the local market, Pro and electrical stores for little money.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cno,

I know you keep your eyes on such things but I was wondering if you had heard anything about Linn offering direct support for premier streaming sites.

There seems to be a lot of movement in that area, with Qoboz now active in the uk, Wimp threatening for this autumn and the advent of something from the Apple/Beats union.

We know that Naim threatened Spotify capability but backed off, surely this is a requirement if they are to push into the non audiphile market.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
Hi Cno,

I know you keep your eyes on such things but I was wondering if you had heard anything about Linn offering direct support for premier streaming sites.

There seems to be a lot of movement in that area, with Qoboz now active in the uk, Wimp threatening for this autumn and the advent of something from the Apple/Beats union.

We know that Naim threatened Spotify capability but backed off, surely this is a requirement if they are to push into the non audiphile market.

i had heard something about them making Spotify easier, but can't elaborate more than that. If I remember, I will make it my business to find out. Songcast allows a round about solution: http://news.linn.co.uk/news/2011/12/songcast-shares-it-all.php

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
TB303 said:
...If going for teh linn, it comes with their own black interconnect cable but the dealer suggested i upgrade to the silver (£210) linn IC

Of course he did.

A-cashier-putting-money-i-010_zps750b59f6.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts