Quality Playback of Digital Files - Linn DS? Naim UnitiServe/HDX ? or NAS / DAC? Advice Please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for the best way to play FLAC files through a Primare I30 amp and Spendor A5's - with a good, user friendly interface that makes searching, playlists etc easy - preferably with an itouch app or similar option. At the moment I am using Asset to stream FLAC files to a Roku Soundbridge which is plugged (via optical output) into a QUAD 99 CDP-2 which is performing the DAC functions. The sound is not bad (certainly much better through the Quad than analogue from Roku straight to amp) - but interface is clunky with no easy way for making playlists etc on the fly. DbPoweramp are working on new streaming control software (Asset Control) which looks very interesting but also looks some way off at the moment.

Have been thinking about maybe a Linn DS product (probably Sneaky or Majik), but this would require NAS also and not too sure about control software - Kinsky doesn't seem to be universally loved from some forums and the alternatives recommended on Linn site appear to be Asset (good streamer but limited control functionality) and Twonky which I have used and wasn't bowled over by.

Other alternative would be Naim, but as I understand it the more affordable routes such as UnitiServe only have digital outputs so would be back to using Quad as DAC (in which case how much benefit would there be to current system) or another DAC which adds cost again. The HDX does have analogue outputs and looks like a good product but it is a lot of money. For that sort of dough you could now look at the newly priced Sooloos though that too would need either the Source One added for analogue output or another DAC or the Quad again.

Sorry for the long pre-amble but the main help I am looking for are;

1) Is there any good control software that will handle FLAC? especially any that has iPod Touch app or similar? Then a home brew NAS/DAC could be an option - perhaps with a better streamer than the Roku (any recommendations?)

2) Does anyone have experience of the Quad 99 CDP-2 versus other DAC's? Would another DAC offer better perfomance and at what sort of price would you have to look to get it?

3) Does anyone have a Linn DS and if so, how does it compare to £1,000 CD players, how easy is it all to set up and what is the control software like?

4) Ditto the Naim or Sooloos

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Penfold

A

Anonymous

Hi Penfold,

I bought a Sneaky DS a couple of months ago and I'm astounded by the quality of its sound. I've got a pair of Linn Ninkas plugged straight into the unit using the Sneaky's in built pre/power amps and I couldn't be happier with the results. I hear that it sounds even better when its just used as a source, so I can only imagine what it would sound like through your set up! I heartily recommend it. Its easy enough to set up too - you just plug it into your router, download Twonky or similar, choose what control option you want to use and away you go. I saw it online for £800, and my local dealer agreed to price match, so they're staggering value for money especially as I'm using it as an all-in-one unit.

I use Twonky, which I have had no problems with, and I use Chorus DS for the control via my iPhone. You can get it from the app store for a tenner and its a really good, functional and easy to use app. You get plenty of search options, it displays all of your album art and is a pleasure to use. When I was demo-ing the Sneaky the guy at the hifi store was using Songbook, which looked the same as Chorus DS, but I think it costs £40-£50. I couldn't really see where the extra money was going, so I went for Chorus DS.

I've not hooked a NAS up to my Sneaky yet, so I'm currently streaming all of my FLAC and Apple Lossless files from my MacBook, but I do plan on getting a NAS soon, as I like the idea of being able to play my tunes without having to turn the Mac on.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, John. I wasn't aware the Squeexebox had an ipod control option or that it handled FLAC (haven't looked at them since I went down the Roku road about 4 years ago) - so that is very interesting and I will look into it.

In your opinion, how would the Squeezebox through the Quad 99 CDP-2 compare to say a Linn DS or Majik for sound quality? I assume that the critical area here will be the quality of the DAC in each of these?

Also, if you spent similar dosh on a standalone DAC fed by Squeezebox or similar - how would that compare to the Quad and the Linn and Naim alternatives? I just want to weigh up the "solution" approach from one manufacturer to the "homebrew" approach and which will give the best bang for your bucks.

Many thanks

Penfold

A

Anonymous

Thanks to you also PP. You have certainly whet my appetite enough that I will definately arrange a dem of the Sneaky and perhaps the Majik to see if there is a significant difference. I am still interested to find out if there is a homebrew option that will offer better value but from your recommendation I will certainly take a listen to the Linn at the local dealer.

I will let you know how I get on though it won't be for a few weeks yet.

Thanks again

Penfold

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
another option is e.g. macmini + itunes (also requires conversion FLAC-ALAC or AIFF) and also needs additional boxes for processing and amplification.

this alternative works fine for me, althought a bit of 'locking' into a proprietary format is involved. conversion is easy and quick (I use Max) and FLAC fiels can be kept of cause. the bonus is that mac can do other things that a dedicated hifi based solution will not do.

manicm

Penfold64:

Thanks for that, John. I wasn't aware the Squeexebox had an ipod control option or that it handled FLAC (haven't looked at them since I went down the Roku road about 4 years ago) - so that is very interesting and I will look into it.

In your opinion, how would the Squeezebox through the Quad 99 CDP-2 compare to say a Linn DS or Majik for sound quality? I assume that the critical area here will be the quality of the DAC in each of these?

Also, if you spent similar dosh on a standalone DAC fed by Squeezebox or similar - how would that compare to the Quad and the Linn and Naim alternatives? I just want to weigh up the "solution" approach from one manufacturer to the "homebrew" approach and which will give the best bang for your bucks.

Many thanks

Penfold

The Squeezebox should be blown out of the water by any Linn DS - and at the price it should. Not saying the Squeezebox is bad by any means but the DS is also a reasonably future-proof investment.

Yes you can add an external DAC to the Squeeze, but playing high-res files out of a PC is a pig. The DS is a much cleaner solution as it's designed for NAS playback.

But do take note, esp, if you're married and don't want an early divorce, Linn DS must be wired, or high quality homeplugs must be used at the very least.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that - yes I am aware it has to be wired unfortunately - but for the main system this in not the end of the world as it is not too far from the PC. Of course I would expect the DS to be far better than the Squeezebox head to head - but I wondered how close it would be through a DAC (either from the Quad or a dedicated DAC? and what sort of price DAC would make a difference).

Unless I end up going down the Naim HDX route (and that is out of budget at the moment) - I do plan to buy a NAS in any case as this can be used with my current set up, could be used with Squeeze or Linn at a later date, could be RAID for extra backup security and I can stream without the PC being fired up all the time.

From what I have read the Linn DS seem well thought of and I will dem them soon - but I wondered if anyone had experience comparing them so something like the squeeze through a DAC?

Cheers

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
this alternative works fine for me, althought a bit of 'locking' into a proprietary format is involved. conversion is easy and quick (I use Max) and FLAC fiels can be kept of cause. the bonus is that mac can do other things that a dedicated hifi based solution will not do.

Can you do batch conversions with Max?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts