Linn DS

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
The Linn DS range gets a lot of love on here, so I decided to look into them instead of a dac for my main system.

The majik DS is at a price point where it could be quite interesting. I already have sonos so I don't absolutely need another streaming solution, but if the sound quality is all that I would go for it. But looking at the specs, it doesn't support apple lossless! I checked and the more expensive akurate DS supports apple lossless, AAC and all the other formats my music is in.

Isnt that just typical, the features that I would consider essential only on the one that costs £4,500. As if £1,800 isn't enough to spend already in order to get a fully functioning product?

Is it just money grabbing, or is there more to it?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Where did you hear / read that there was no support? I have an Apple Lossless file playing on the Sneaky DS right now.

Sound quality is superior on the DS products to the Sonos - although I am sure plenty will be along to argue the point. With the Majik range just changing to a slightly different appearance there are bargains to be had.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I read the list of supported files on the linn website and assumed that as the Akurate list included extra file types, that the two lists were inclusive and accurate.

http://small.linncdn.com/product-catalogue/documents/Linn_Majik_DS_Product_Information.pdf

http://small.linncdn.com/product-catalogue/documents/Linn_Akurate_DS_Product_Information.pdf

So easy mistake to make, and not very helpful of linn to give misleading information.

On the other hand, I'm glad that the majik ds might fit my needs, as it is also within my price bracket. Will try and arrange a demo.

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad Nick has answered your question.

Linn Products are constantly being improved with updates adding additional features....the Linn forum (for DS) is a mine of information. Generally, all improvements apply to all DS products across the range.

I also back up Nick's comment about them being better than Sonos, but I will add that imo, even the Sneaky is a big step up.

Please report in with your findings, as I believe you will be happy with what you hear. The Majik is the cheapest DS with the Dynamic power supply, which makes a good difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts