Linn Axis with Akito Arm - a gamble purchase?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site

I'm due to purchase the aforementioned turntable tonight for £180, the buyer says it's in BRAND NEW condition and hasn't been used in over 5 years. It has also got an official tested in 01.01 Linn sticker on it. I know the Axis has had some well publicised power supply problems, i was just wondering what everyone thought of it and if i should take the gamble. £180 does seem like a steal! But the last thing I need is a problematic turntable!
I'm due to purchase the aforementioned turntable tonight for £180, the buyer says it's in BRAND NEW condition and hasn't been used in over 5 years. It has also got an official tested in 01.01 Linn sticker on it.

I know the Axis has had some well publicised power supply problems, i was just wondering what everyone thought of it and if i should take the gamble. £180 does seem like a steal! But the last thing I need is a problematic turntable!

Your advice is very much appreciated!

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

I've got him down a bit further so I'm thinking i'm going to go for it. Does anyone have any advice / tips regarding the Power Supply?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

So I purchased the Linn for £140. The seller who lives just down the road said it would be fine to return if it was faulty.

I got it home and it has got a rumble when it starts and when it is switched to 44, it takes a few seconds to get to speed and with the light a brighter green when it hits 44rpm. The seller hasn't used it for 5 years.

It needs oiling i think or is it faulty electronics? It's the green light that starts dimmer then when it hits speed goes greener is the thing that worries me.

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

That's good to know! To cure the judder, do you think it just needs a good old oiling?

Thanks!

taylor1867 said:
That's good to know! To cure the judder, do you think it just needs a good old oiling?

Thanks!

Not quite sure what you mean by judder but a turntable that has not been used for that length of time could very well benefit from a clean-out of the old bearing oil and replacement with a good quality turntable oil.(ie not 3-in-1 or Duckhams!) :)

A

Anonymous

One thing to look out for on an Akito arm is sticking lateral bearings. On other Linn arms, like Ittok and Basik LVX, the arm pillar was machined from a solid billet - very strong. The Akito has a cast/machined pillar and is softer. Linn used to recommend really tightening up the height adjustment bolt, on the Akito this would deform the pillar and cause bearing damage, making the stylus stick at certain points on the record. To test for this float the arm just above the record surface and gently tap it to the centre of the record label, it should move smoothly from the arm rest to the centre with no notching.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts