Linn Axis + Akito Arm 25 years old. Time to replace?

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Have had this turntable since 1988 and it has served me very well. It was last serviced 9 years ago (cost £100) but has had less than 500 hours use since then. The cartridge (a AT120E/T great for rock!) has only done about 100 hours and is a couple of years old only. It all works perfectly, no fried PCB or collapsed suspension but am wondering whether to get it serviced or change to a more current TT. Perhaps a Rega RP1 with performance upgrade or a Rega P3 (still a couple new on ebay if in garish colours!). Or even something from the Pro Ject camp as I have their phono stage the tube box II. Not necessarily looking for an upgrade rather an equivalent. Just thinking of changing before the Linn finally starts to show its' age and let me down but are current TTs' made as well and have the same longevity? I have £300 to 500 to spend (excluding cartridge). My tastes are varied but mainly melodic and prog rock. Some valued advice please. Cheers

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The Axis is comfortably better than the turntables you mention.

You'd be far better off with a service and a new cartridge, something like an Ortofon Black or one of the Clearaudio MM cartridges.

The AT120, and I admit it's been a while since I last heard one, seemed to be too bright and not particularly big on detail

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thank you very much for the comments. Just noticed an Axis went for £320 on ebay with the Basik + arm. Amazing s/hand price.

I do like the AT120E/T cartridge and dont find it too bright, maybe the Pro Ject Tube Box II softens the sound a little? But I heed the advice and I guess a service and better cartridge will be the better path to go down...thanks.

As a matter of interest, was the Basik + arm better than the Akito?

Cheers

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
The Axis is comfortably better than the turntables you mention.

You'd be far better off with a service and a new cartridge, something like an Ortofon Black or one of the Clearaudio MM cartridges.

The AT120, and I admit it's been a while since I last heard one, seemed to be too bright and not particularly big on detail

The Ortofon Black and Clearaudio sound like they can be a bit bright and need a bit of careful matching? Would something like the Goldring 2500 suit the Linn and my music taste better? I dont like over bright reproduction and find it too fatiguing.

Also, I live in the Bristol area. Any suggestionas to the best palce to take my TT for a service?

Cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Your turntable is well past its sell-by-date.

I think you should get a Rega RP1 and dispose of of your Axis and the arm immediately without a second thought. Dangerous those.

I'd be glad to help by taking it off you ...

Happy Sunday x

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Can't help you, mate, but someone on the Linn forum will know.

About your cartridges, if you like the 120E you'll probably also like the Clearaudio or the Ortofon black. They're treble is not as forward but detail very much better. I'd say get a demo, if you can find a dealer will do that with cartridges these days.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

I think you should get a Rega RP1 and dispose of of your Axis and the arm immediately without a second thought. Dangerous those.

Happy Sunday x

Dont quite know what went wrong there but again...I guess that must be code for me to hang onto it :)

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Can't help you, mate, but someone on the Linn forum will know.

About your cartridges, if you like the 120E you'll probably also like the Clearaudio or the Ortofon black. They're treble is not as forward but detail very much better. I'd say get a demo, if you can find a dealer will do that with cartridges these days.

yeah...It's hard finding stockists who stock cartridges let alone getting a demo. May have to take a gamble and bite the bullet. My Pro Ject phono amp is part tube so will maybe help to soften any possible brightness. Should that be the case with those you recommended.

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Pike900fish said:
drummerman said:

Happy Sunday x

Dont quite know what went wrong there but again...I guess that must be code for me to hang onto it :)

Not at all. Unburden yourself and feel free once more.

regards

drummerman said:
Pike900fish said:
drummerman said:

Happy Sunday x

regards

Sorry, that woke me up. Sombody mention free??? :)

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
drummerman said:
Pike900fish said:
drummerman said:

Happy Sunday x

regards

Sorry, that woke me up. Sombody mention free??? :)

No mate. Definitely nothing going for free :hand:

simon304

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I replaced my stylus and treated it to an origin live mat. Checked the tt and arm with a spirit level and it seems to have made a difference. I dream of upgrading to an lp12 but when I listen to the axis I'm not sure there's any need.

i doubt a modern tt less than 1k would be a great improvement sound wise.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
simon304 said:
I replaced my stylus and treated it to an origin live mat. Checked the tt and arm with a spirit level and it seems to have made a difference. I dream of upgrading to an lp12 but when I listen to the axis I'm not sure there's any need.

i doubt a modern tt less than 1k would be a great improvement sound wise.

An Lp12 will give you a bit more of what you like about the Axis, although with a slightly less neutral sound.This will also depend on speakers, walls, amplifiers, cartridges etc. you would probably notice better instrument separation, more bass weight, more authority and yet more delicacy and refinement. The Axis scores with easy speed change and a more user-friendly suspension, although I don't find adjusting the LP12 that difficult. You might know this already but always unplug the deck when not in use to save the PSU caps which can fry. Between you and me, I listen to my Axis more than my LP12. I've got an AT110e on the Axis which sounds tonally balanced and nicely meaty and full- you can still buy this cart on the net. Yes, you'd have to pay £1,000+ for a better sounding deck in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts