Harbeth speaker issues

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I need to blow off a little steam if you don't mind. I bought some new Harbeth speakers. Why? Because they sound great! However, some minor other issues have come up that have left me feeling a bit upset with the brand.

1) I bought a pair of P3ESR a week ago. I was very excited to get them and wanted to marvel at the beautiful rosewood finish. I took them out of the box and inspected them under light and what do I find? I find these whitish marks/fingerprints on the speakers. They did not rub off with a cotton cloth. They weren't from me as I used cotton gloves. They were actually embedded in the varnish itself. Okay, perhaps they are faint but they are there. Enough to bother someone knowing they were there. One speaker has 4 of these marks/prints on the side. The other speaker has about 6 marks/prints on the back of it. One clearly looks just like a thumb print. Also, one of the speakers binding posts has an unfinished machined mark across it. I don't think any of this is acceptable. I expected higher standards over at Harbeth. Now, who picks speakers up while they are still wet from being varnished? Furthermore, who signs off on them as being a good enough pair to sell? Well, I know, I have his intials, but I won't say it here. Frankly, you would have to be blind to sign off on those. Maybe my stadards are too high? Maybe I should be a Harbeth inspector? LOL... Anyway, my dealer was very helpful so he swaped them with another pair. This time in the cherry finish. Now these are in the correct condition. No problems at all. The same guy signed off on them so perhaps he was just having an off day in regards to the rosewood pair? Or perhaps it's not him at all but the person packing them up? Using wet or sweaty hands? Who knows. Nothing is perfect all of the time so life goes on... Until a few other smaller problems arise that you find irksome.

2) The Harbeth packing box. The worst time I've ever had opeing up a speaker box or any hi-fi box. Plus, I had to do it twice. Taking my time and doing it methodically so not to tear anything. Harbeth likes to use thick staples across the top of the box and they are inbedded into the carboard so you can't see them. Then they tape across the top seam and the staple holes. Plus they put an official seal on top of that. When you try to cut the tape and the seal using a box cutter you run into these staples making it harder to cut through it all. The worst part is, upon prying it open, one staple broke in half and almost hit me right in the eye. Another staple broke into three places. Wow, whats up with that? Are these staples really necessary? Then there is the plastic bag over the speakers. Harbeth sticks a long sticky sticker right over the bag to seal it. Try to open that bag up without tearing it. Good luck. Who doesn't want to keep their boxes and bags in good condition in case they sell the speakers later on?

3) I bought some nice new Cardas speaker cables from another store to go with the P3's. I chose spades for the connection ends. Big mistake. Regular sized spades apparently don't fit on Harbeth binding posts. Who knew? How am I supposed to know this? I just figured they were like other speakers I have bought and used before that accept normal spades. So now I have to either get them reterminated or buy new cables. Lots of fun.

I'm left scratching my head over this. I guess my expectations were too high. I wanted a pair of Harbeth's for many years and didn't expect to have these problems once I got them. I guess things don't always go smoothly as planned.

OK, rant is now over... Thanks for reading. I'm not a Happy Listener tonight but I'll be more happy in my future posts. Cheers.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I remember my old Rega boxes having those large staples - making it difficult to open without damaging them.

BK, Monitor Audio, Mission, Sony, Onkyo, Exposure - all use simple packing tape.

insider9

Frustrating it must have been. I'm glad a dealer sorted it out for you even if it isn't the finish you wanted in the first place.

I share the frustration in regards to how some brands do certain things :)

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Everyone makes mistakes. At the end of the day it's how you deal with them what really matters.

Enjoy your brand new speakers. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problems...it's never good when a new item doesn't live up to expectation.

As an aside...Which Cardas cable did you get? Are you still able to use them....and if you can, do you think they make a difference (and if they do, in what way)?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
1) Mistakes happen, thats life. As long as it is dealt with properly, thats whats really important.

2) Equipment needs to be well packed, those big staples are nearly universal. Just cut down the centre line exposing the staples which can easily be removed with a pair of pliers, actually quite easy.

3) American speaker terminals are different size to those commonly used in the UK so american spades rarely fit. I usually specify 4mm bananas for british equipment but it is best to check, there are no 'standard' sizes.

If it's any consolation my ATC boxes were stapled the same way. Not come across that for a few years as lighter items manage just with tape. But at over 30 kilos each it needs something very strong. As Dave says, carefully extracting them with pliers works best, as they're nasty things.

I hope the listening lives up to your expectations!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your frustrations, but like others have said as long as the Dealer has looked after you that's the main thing and that the SQ lives up to expectation of course!

My recent purchase of the 40th anniversary's came with a bit of an issue... I was expecting a lacquered veneer walnut finish as I'd seen with the demo pair, but when they arrived, they had a grain running through them... Guildford Audio did offer to swap them for their dem pair, but I declined, as mine were brand new and really liked the smell of the new wood.. Re packaging, the SHL5+ came in a cloth bag, so no faffing around with plastic bags.

I've always found bananna plugs better for speaker cables and I replaced the standard links for Auditorium 23's which make a big difference.

Give us an update in a few days on how you feel about the P3's performance.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
These aren't a cheap pair of £150 Q Acoustics speakers or something similar where you wouldn't mind accepting a few rough edges or minor imperfections.

When you're paying Harbeth prices for speakers you should expect perfection in terms of fit an finish. Anything less than perfect at this price just isn't good enough and you're right to get a replacement.

Nice speakers BTW. Hope you're enjoying them now. :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
These aren't a cheap pair of £150 Q Acoustics speakers or something similar where you wouldn't mind accepting a few rough edges or minor imperfections.

When you're paying Harbeth prices for speakers you should expect perfection in terms of fit an finish. Anything less than perfect at this price just isn't good enough and you're right to get a replacement.

Nice speakers BTW. Hope you're enjoying them now. :)

My thoughts also

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
If it's any consolation my ATC boxes were stapled the same way.  Not come across that for a few years as lighter items manage just with tape. But at over 30 kilos each it needs something very strong.  As Dave says, carefully extracting them with pliers works best, as they're nasty things. 

You forgot to mention the crain

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
If it's any consolation my ATC boxes were stapled the same way. Not come across that for a few years as lighter items manage just with tape. But at over 30 kilos each it needs something very strong. As Dave says, carefully extracting them with pliers works best, as they're nasty things.

Ha, ha, they certainly required two strong people to carry safely indoors. With great care, I unpacked them alone, but needed lots of space and careful planning!

Re the QAcoustics for £150, the irony is that they would probably be perfect, being mass produced with less human input.

Curious to know if the dealer returned the speakers to Harbeth, or just uses them for demo models.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:

Ha, ha, they certainly required two strong people to carry safely indoors. With great care, I unpacked them alone, but needed lots of space and careful planning!

Re the QAcoustics for £150, the irony is that they would probably be perfect, being mass produced with less human input.

Curious to know if the dealer returned the speakers to Harbeth, or just uses them for demo models.

Well, Guru went bust shortly after they had their first 500 pairs of speakers mass produced in China, due to defective paint jobs on all of them.

But generally speaking I do agree with you regarding mass production.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:

Beware a pair of 'open box' speakers for sale at a discount *smile*

I've bought 'open box' speakers, and I've always wondered why there was such a discount for opening the box?

My speakers have a wood veneer, and of course real wood veneers have natural imperfections, maybe someone was just too fussy and used a minor blemish/imperfection as an excuse to return them. Who knows, but I benefited from someone 'opening that box'.

Note - I'm not inferring that Happy_Listener was being fussy with the Harbeth speakers in this thread.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Its not unusual for speakers to not be that well packaged. I sometime wonder why the manufacturers don't offer you the option of a bespoke box, maybe some form of plastic packaging. I'd have paid more for that. Maybe not very environmentally friendly though, but if you've got a set of expensive speakers like these harbeths or like my pmc's, and you move them about you want zero damage, you need best possible packaging.

my speakers were dropped by the courier and I had to have a pair hand delivered by pmc. This is because In the long section of the box there is no protection until the speaker. So if you drop the box on its edge, it will damage the speaker cabinet. Quite how they can export it abroad with confidence I've no idea. Pmc are redesigning the box and at the very least they should have full length foam inserts. Instead the boxes, have foam end caps. My old tannoy floorstanders were the same, nothing in the middle. But to scrimp on packaging for £1k plus speakers is inexcusable. They really all ought to up their game in this department. Maybe it's just because they can limit packing costs and claim off couriers. But where the hell is customer in this?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts