Lindsay what do you think of

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Lindsay What do you think or how well do you rate Funktion One Resolution mk11 speakers?

Thanks Andrew

One of the venues ( Kamio London ) I went to last November to see a band called 'Tusks' used large Funktion speakers and bass units.

They sounded pretty good to me .

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard them. They have the ingredients to be good sounding speakers. Although with high efficoency, easy load speakers I'd see it as a missed opportunity to not use SET amplification for the last bit of detail resolution and natural realism in the midrange.

As for buying them it would all depend on the price. If you saw a pair for £500 - buy them. If you saw a pair for £1000 below the current going rate for their condition, buy them too and sell them if you com across something else you prefer more.

If, on the other hand you see a pair selling for £5k which is about the going rate, then there's a lot of other horns / horn hybrids that they're up against in terms of competition...

So, for example my EV Sentry III's that I brought round to your place at £500 make a lot of sense. These £6.2k Sentry III's on the other hand make no sense whatsoever:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRO-VOICE-SENTRY-Speaker-3-WAY-3-speaker-Free-Shipping-Tracking-Number/253593342798?hash=item3b0b57534e:g:Qp0AAOSwjB9a5s1D

It's all about treating big ugly horn hybrids as the commodity that they are. If the £ per KG is ultra low: say hello. If the £ per KG is high: walk on by.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I've never heard them. They have the ingredients to be good sounding speakers. Although with high efficoency, easy load speakers I'd see it as a missed opportunity to not use SET amplification for the last bit of detail resolution and natural realism in the midrange.

As for buying them it would all depend on the price. If you saw a pair for £500 - buy them. If you saw a pair for £1000 below the current going rate for their condition, buy them too and sell them if you com across something else you prefer more.

If, on the other hand you see a pair selling for £5k which is about the going rate, then there's a lot of other horns / horn hybrids that they're up against in terms of competition...

So, for example my EV Sentry III's that I brought round to your place at £500 make a lot of sense. These £6.2k Sentry III's on the other hand make no sense whatsoever:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRO-VOICE-SENTRY-Speaker-3-WAY-3-speaker-Free-Shipping-Tracking-Number/253593342798?hash=item3b0b57534e:g:Qp0AAOSwjB9a5s1D

It's all about treating big ugly horn hybrids as the commodity that they are. If the £ per KG is ultra low: say hello. If the £ per KG is high: walk on by.

Thanks for the info
Those sentry look good also

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Those £6.2k Sentry III's look awful to me. The dust cap on the bass cone's been pushed in and that price tag!

These look a lot more attractive to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lancing-Voice-of-the-theater-speakers/273193662326?hash=item3f9b9c7776:g:jNQAAOSwbPxXQN-E

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Those £6.2k Sentry III's look awful to me. The dust cap on the bass cone's been pushed in and that price tag!

These look a lot more attractive to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lancing-Voice-of-the-theater-speakers/273193662326?hash=item3f9b9c7776:g:jNQAAOSwbPxXQN-E

Ja they do look very nice

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
Lindsay What do you think or how well do you rate Funktion One Resolution mk11 speakers?

Thanks Andrew

One of the venues ( Kamio London ) I went to last November to see a band called 'Tusks' used large Funktion speakers and bass units.

Have you heard horn speakers in a domestic setting?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:

Thanks Andrew

Have you heard horn speakers in a domestic setting?

Not in my home but I have heard some extremely expensive horn loaded speakers in domestic sized spaces.

I can see why many people love then , it is quite an experience !

I would liken my experience to listening to music through a huge magnifing glass that is focused on the upper midrange, midrange and upper bass, the detail is stunning and almost touchable especially with simple very good recordings, it is like being on stage with the musicians, the sense of being so close to the music and the ultra dynamics are highly addictive.

The downside is they don't do mediocre or bad recordings and they are fussy about the type of music they try to reproduce , they can sound truly awful because that magnifing glass also reveals all the faults in the recording and the equipment before them if the noise floor is high.

The Funktions are primarily club / PA systems and are usually suplemented with conventional bass bins to handle the deep bass .

Kamio has a very good reputation for superb sound quality so the Funktions with convetional bass units work very well indeed or if not they use huge horn loaded bass bins for deep bass and I mean HUGE !

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My pro friends do not really consider these products suitable for studio work, strictly PA seems to sum up their views.

Good sounding PA is not difficult, just rather more expensive than moany users are prepared to pay.

Really big horns do not really work well in the home, if you want any bass extension, the bass horns get very big, very quickly and it becomes impossible to integrate the bass and mid/treble units in any sensible way.

The usual compromise is a 15 inch bass in a reflex enclosures and a horn covering mids and highs, great fun but still pretty large and expensive by modern standards.

For a normal home, a semi sensible compromise would be something like the JBL 708i, an 8 inch bass unit and compression driven mid and highs. Sensitivity is good but not exceptional, low rather than high 90s (dB/w) but still quite dynamic and explosive sounding, budget versions of the £10k plus M2 Master Reference.

Cost of the passive version is a shade over £2k pr if you shop around, not too bad for new product with warantees etc

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Really big horns do not really work well in the home, if you want any bass extension, the bass horns get very big, very quickly and it becomes impossible to integrate the bass and mid/treble units in any sensible way.
The usual compromise is a 15 inch bass in a reflex enclosures and a horn covering mids and highs, great fun but still pretty large and expensive by modern standards.
It would be fair to describe my EV Patricians as really big horns. They are the best sounding speakers I've tried in my home. But you're saying that they "do not really work in the home"?

The 4 way Patricians integrate well enough. And so they should, they're 4 ways and each driver is kept within its' comfort zone. Unlike tiny 2 way ported speakers where the mid-bass driver is asked to cover nearly 5 octaves from 80 hz to 2 khz. Epitomised in speakers like the KEF LS50's which have a double camel hump shaped frequency response.

I paid £415 plus c£80 in parts for my 15" bass driver EV Sentry III's.

The Altec on US ebay has a 15" bass driver and is on sale for just over £500. But you're saying that they're "expensive by modern standards"? How can you say that when I provided a link, right slap bang in the middle of the first page of this thread that debunks your statement?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Got a question in a similar vein

Have any of you heard any Tandberg amps or speakers?

Not at any point during your lifetime! My brother used to own one of their open reel tape recorders when Adam was still in nappies. But that company which was Tandberg went bankrupt forty years ago. Since then I've only ever seen their name attached to computer backup drives, presumably someone bought the name.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

Not at any point during your lifetime! My brother used to own one of their open reel tape recorders when Adam was still in nappies. But that company which was Tandberg went bankrupt forty years ago. Since then I've only ever seen their name attached to computer backup drives, presumably someone bought the name.

Their tape recorders were very highly regarded in their day, no pro business as I recall so lost out to Revox in pretty much all respects.

Very rugged transport with an unusual mechanical control system, available as full 'recorders' with amps and speakers all built in or as 'decks' for hi-fi use. Tried to diversify into hi-fi components but not very succesfully, in the uk at least.

All a very long time ago....

insider9

MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

Not at any point during your lifetime! My brother used to own one of their open reel tape recorders when Adam was still in nappies. But that company which was Tandberg went bankrupt forty years ago. Since then I've only ever seen their name attached to computer backup drives, presumably someone bought the name.
Yes, I'm a baby by hifi enthusiasts' standards :)

I've read about Tandberg and Electrocompaniet and wondered why no one ever mentions Tandberg. Both respectable Norwegian companies.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Brands I had in the 70s are long gone - Audiotronic (Cassete Deck); Trio TT; Teleton Amp; Keesonic Speakers.....though Trio became Kenwood. There was also a brief flirt with Videoton (Minimax Speakers).

CnoEvil said:
The Brands I had in the 70s are long gone - Audiotronic (Cassete Deck); Trio TT; Teleton Amp; Keesonic Speakers.....though Trio became Kenwood. There was also a brief flirt with Videoton (Minimax Speakers).

Much missed. I had the Keesonic Kubs once..... replaced with Heybrook HB1sin the eighties.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Much missed. I had the Keesonic Kubs once..... replaced with Heybrook HB1sin the eighties.
Yup, I had the Kubs....which I chose over some Tangent SPL 1s
http://www.thunders.ca/tangent/spl1review.gif

insider9 said:
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

Yes, I'm a baby by hifi enthusiasts' standards :)

I've read about Tandberg and Electrocompaniet and wondered why no one ever mentions Tandberg. Both respectable Norwegian companies.
My first receiver was a Tandberg TR200. I didn’t want a separate amp and tuner, and this looked really neat with my teak AR4xa speakers. Only about 20wpc, but very decent sound.

Nobody makes anything in teak these days, it seems, except garden chairs!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts